The Leben CS300XS Thread
Apr 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #1,696 of 2,299
$140 for the custom threaded feet. A bit steep, but not bad considering the amp is 4k new. :D

It'll have to wait a bit though as I just dropped 300 at Record Store Day.

Quote:

No doubt Mapleshade feet would do a fine job controlling vibration and look much better cosmetically than my setup and even better than a stock CS300XS. Just be sure the Leben is placed on a sturdy rack or platform and you would be good to go MT. Only problem is, and I know this from doing business with them, their products are not exactly inexpensive.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #1,698 of 2,299
They have to do the threads custom so they'll screw into the Leben correctly. The measurement is M4x0.7 if you go for it, btw. 

They didn't sound familiar, but they told me what I needed to find out on the screws.

I'd do the low heavy feet. I don't like how HUGE AND STUPID some of their footers are, but 1 1/2" isn't too high, and the current feet are already 2" in diameter.

Quote:

Now you have me interested in a quad! Custom? Are they familiar with Leben at Mapleshade? I do love the aesthetics of their footers.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #1,699 of 2,299
Quote:
They have to do the threads custom so they'll screw into the Leben correctly. The measurement is M4x0.7 if you go for it, btw. 

Keep in mind that I have the CS-600. Wondering if Leben uses different feet for the smaller sister amp. Measuring screws is really not my forte but appreciate the info MT.

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #1,700 of 2,299
Quote:
Just wondering if vibration contol is snake oil for the Leben?

The unit weighs around 10kg and does not have moving parts save volume control & switches.

Wouldn't vibration control be more suitable for a turntable or cd player?

Just throwing it out there feel free to agree or disagree.

My Naim dac has no moving parts, and it's easily the biggest upgrade I've experienced putting the stillpoints stand underneath it.

So I would assume there would be a difference with the Leben, maybe even a big difference. I wouldn't try the stillpoints stand though unless you're ready to buy. It's addictive.

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #1,701 of 2,299
Thanks for the responses guys, could you elaborate how the vibration control would benefit the amp?

. I take it the vibrations are comming from the speakers as opposed to when amp is used just for headphones?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #1,702 of 2,299
Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys, could you elaborate how the vibration control would benefit the amp?

. I take it the vibrations are comming from the speakers as opposed to when amp is used just for headphones?

Thanks in advance.

All electronics vibrate some, especially transformers. That is why some transformers are "potted" (resin and steel casing to solidify and increase mass), others (like those in the Leben) are not. These run cooler but might vibrate a bit so gel feet on the bottom seems reasonable to prevent those vibrations being sent through a rack to a turntable and tonearm? or CD player (wouldn't want to add to jitter). 

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #1,703 of 2,299
Hi guys, I have a couple of quick questions:

I'm the proud owner of a pair of BD  DT 880 headphones (600 Ohm) and am currently using a very basic setup to drive them.  There sems to be a general consensus that these phones just love a tube amp and are complemented by them.  Worth knowing:  I exclusively listen to classical music (chamber music, mostly violin and oboe + concerto and some vocal works).

Am very impressed with what I read about the Leben amplifiers and have the possibility to pick up one.  Only trouble is, which model?

- In one EU based shop I can get the CS300 for about 3300 USD, all taxes and delivery included.
- Another one has one last CS300XS for about 3950, taxes and delivery included.

From what I understand, the 300XS is no longer being produced but uses some premium components as compared to the base version.  

a) Any thoughts about the 300XS being worth the premium in terms of output quality?  The higher price is not an insurmountable obstacle but of course if you think it's not worth it then I'd rather lee that cash in my pocket and blow it on some other component

Lastly,  the larger brother of those 2, the CS 600 can be purchased but the price is nearly double the base price  at about 6900 USD.  It also has a headphone jack, some extra options, other tubes etc (and it weighs in at 20 kg as compared to 10 for the 300 version).  Does anyone have experience using this setup with their headphones?  Recommended and worth the premium?  I don't think the units will ever be used to drive loudspeakers, btw, it's headphones only.

Thanks for your insights and have a great day!

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #1,704 of 2,299
My personal experience was that for headphones the CS-300 and CS-300XS were virtually indistinguishable.

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,705 of 2,299
Hi guys, I have a couple of quick questions:

I'm the proud owner of a pair of BD  DT 880 headphones (600 Ohm) and am currently using a very basic setup to drive them.  There sems to be a general consensus that these phones just love a tube amp and are complemented by them.  Worth knowing:  I exclusively listen to classical music (chamber music, mostly violin and oboe + concerto and some vocal works).

Am very impressed with what I read about the Leben amplifiers and have the possibility to pick up one.  Only trouble is, which model?

- In one EU based shop I can get the CS300 for about 3300 USD, all taxes and delivery included.
- Another one has one last CS300XS for about 3950, taxes and delivery included.

From what I understand, the 300XS is no longer being produced but uses some premium components as compared to the base version.  

a) Any thoughts about the 300XS being worth the premium in terms of output quality?  The higher price is not an insurmountable obstacle but of course if you think it's not worth it then I'd rather lee that cash in my pocket and blow it on some other component

Lastly,  the larger brother of those 2, the CS 600 can be purchased but the price is nearly double the base price  at about 6900 USD.  It also has a headphone jack, some extra options, other tubes etc (and it weighs in at 20 kg as compared to 10 for the 300 version).  Does anyone have experience using this setup with their headphones?  Recommended and worth the premium?  I don't think the units will ever be used to drive loudspeakers, btw, it's headphones only.

Thanks for your insights and have a great day!

Those quoted prices are what I was quoted on new units as well when I bought my XS recently.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #1,706 of 2,299
Many thanks, Skylab and MorbidToaster!  Much appreciated!  (And Skylab:  I'm a fan of your reviews).  Have learned a lot in a very short time here on HeadFi.  Only trouble is this hobby, fueled by what you read on the site suck up disposable income faster than a starved crackhead.

I'll lay off the expensive havana cigars for a while and funnel that money towards equipment and music.

Anyway, the Leben amplifiers immediately appealed to me, even without having heard them.  They exude a kind of retro-minimalism (love the wooden panels too) that no modern amp, certainly not all that made in China stuff that's flooding the market, has.  Probably no coincidence that I also like japanese food, write with a Nakaya fountain pen and sleep on tatami in a minimalist bedroom with japanese furniture.  But hey, the car is German :)

May 10, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #1,708 of 2,299
Couple of weeks ago my Leben CS-300x went up in smoke. I heard 2 popping sounds within 10 Seconds of switching it on with smoke starting to come up from underneath the amp soon afterwards. I immediately switched off the Leben and tested the tubes...both tubes on the right channel were dead with the left channel still testing strong. (The right channel tubes have always worn out a lot quicker than the left channel on my Leben...not sure why?)

I then started investigating any other signs of damage. Underneath the amp I found a burnt resistor...100ohm I think. Other than that I could not find any visible signs of damage. Is there anything else i should be looking for?

I have attached a couple of image for reference. The resistor below the "BLOWN RESISTOR" text is the only one that seemed to have been damaged.

I have since replaced the resistor with the same value (100 ohm) and brand (Riken). Now when I switch on the amp the Red operations LED  will NOT light up...however the amp does play music; but the volume levels have dropped significantly with almost no Bass.

What else could be the problem?

I will be grateful for any help in fixing my amp.

PS: I sent 2 emails to Leben but got no response.

May 10, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #1,709 of 2,299
Quote:
Couple of weeks ago on the Leben CS-300x went up in smoke. I heard 2 popping sounds within 10 Seconds of switching it on with smoke starting to come up from underneath the amp soon afterwards. I immediately switched off the Leben and tested the tubes...both tubes on the right channel were dead with the left channel still testing strong. (The right channel tubes have always worn out a lot quicker than the left channel on my Leben...not sure why?)

I then started investigating any other signs of damage. Underneath the amp I found a burnt resistor...100ohm I think. Other than that I could not find any visible signs of damage. Is there anything else i should be looking for?

I have attached a couple of image for reference. The resistor below the "BLOWN RESISTOR" text is the only one that seemed to have been damaged.

I have since replaced the resistor with the same value (100 ohm) and brand (Riken). Now when I switch on the amp the Red operations LED  will NOT light up...however the amp does play music; but the volume levels have dropped significantly with almost no Bass.

What else could be the problem?

I will be grateful for any help in fixing my amp.

PS: I sent 2 emails to Leben but got no response.

Auch! I am sorry to hear about this! 

I am sure you will hear from Leben - they have always responded to me. 

Are you sure you got the resistor value right? If you have the wrong resistor it can make the sound like you descriebe. But - I am no technician. You will get better advice by someone else soon

Hope you get this sorted out! 

May 10, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #1,710 of 2,299
Quote:

Auch! I am sorry to hear about this! 

I am sure you will hear from Leben - they have always responded to me. 

Are you sure you got the resistor value right? If you have the wrong resistor it can make the sound like you descriebe. But - I am no technician. You will get better advice by someone else soon

Hope you get this sorted out! 

Thanks ardilla

i am pretty sure  the values I see in the amp is right. The color sequence on the resistor is 'Brown - Black - Brown - Brown' which translates to 100ohms. I checked the values on this site http://samstechlib.com/24614782/en/read/4_Band_Resistor_Color_Codes

I have attached another photo i took a year ago. You can see the same resistor is 100 ohm

However, the confusion is that the schematics I found on this thread don't have any 100ohm resistors.

Given this...I wonder if all Leben's are built exactly the same!

Is it possible that some Leben amps are subtly different based on whatever parts were available at the time of build OR Am i just referring to the wrong schematics?

Hope I hear from Leben soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back