The Leben CS300XS Thread
Apr 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #1,681 of 2,299
Quote:

Who listens to nothing? If a perfectly black background is all that is important then get a SS amp

Are you familiar with the EAR HP4? I rolled mine with NOS RCA's. Dead silent background with high or low impedance cans, and with high or low sensitivity headphones. The problem with the HP4 is that it does not drive planars as well as other amps I have in house, The LCD-3 and the HE-6 sound very nice when paired with the CS-600 rolled with NOS tubes. Then again, the planars have low sensitivity and not subject to the somewhat infamous Leben headphone hum.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #1,682 of 2,299
Quote:

not subject to the somewhat infamous Leben headphone hum.

You say that as though everyone experiences that.  My Leben is dead quiet even with ATH-W3000ANVs.

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #1,683 of 2,299
Quote:

You say that as though everyone experiences that.  My Leben is dead quiet even with ATH-W3000ANVs.

It is obvious, when one takes the time to read through all 113 pages of this thread that "everyone" does NOT experience the hum. However, Tone Imports is well aware that the "hum" does exist in many of the units sold in the U.S.

Personally, I am glad that there is no "hum" present when you plug in your ATW3k. However, I use my EAR HP4 for that model and could not be more pleased with the listening experience. The Leben is not an option for me.

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #1,684 of 2,299
Quote:
Nope, can't tell a difference.  That said, a before-and-after comparison is obviously much more difficult than a side-by-side comparison.  There might be a minor improvement to the sound that my short term memory can't differentiate, and I'm ok with forking out $70 for the warm fuzzy feeling that I might be better off than I was before.  I certainly don't recommend that attitude to people who are short on cash, however.

Edit: not that I'm rolling in cash, as my overly-cautious installation of the fuse proves. 
biggrin.gif
  I just want to be sure I'm getting the most out of my Leben, and I'm willing to take the advice of the more experienced Head-Fi'ers who attest to the fuse making a difference.  My ears might not be as finely tuned as theirs.

I appreciate your honesty.

The listening does have to be done in the same unit, same everything except the fuse. The change doesn't require "warm up" time really, as if the fuse warms up it breaks, that's it's function. The problem with side-by-side comparisons is that you are comparing to two different devices. It's apples and oranges. Though both built by the same builder, each will sound subtlely different to the other, with or without a $70 fuse transplant. They will have diffent tensions in the transformer windings, different tensions in the capacitors, there may be slightly longer run wire between two components, even the temperature of the wire and pin before application of solder in each will vary (determines how well bonded, or, unlikely, if a cold solder joint with cracks between the two exists). These, and other reasons (like hearing loss), are why some of our members hear a hum in their headphones, and others with the same headphones and Leben CS300Xs do not.

I've become long in the tooth and entirely too synical in my old age, please forgive me, but thanks again for your honesty.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #1,685 of 2,299
Quote:
I appreciate your honesty.

The listening does have to be done in the same unit, same everything except the fuse. The change doesn't require "warm up" time really, as if the fuse warms up it breaks, that's it's function. The problem with side-by-side comparisons is that you are comparing to two different devices. It's apples and oranges. Though both built by the same builder, each will sound subtlely different to the other, with or without a $70 fuse transplant. They will have diffent tensions in the transformer windings, different tensions in the capacitors, there may be slightly longer run wire between two components, even the temperature of the wire and pin before application of solder in each will vary (determines how well bonded, or, unlikely, if a cold solder joint with cracks between the two exists). These, and other reasons (like hearing loss), are why some of our members hear a hum in their headphones, and others with the same headphones and Leben CS300Xs do not.

I've become long in the tooth and entirely too synical in my old age, please forgive me, but thanks again for your honesty.

It is not the fuse that requires warmup time and cooling time. Every tube amp I've owned sounded better after the tubes have warmed up (i.e. at least 1/2 hour. This is a fair amount of time 'to remember'' exactly what an amp sounded like.

Wb

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #1,686 of 2,299
Quote:

It is not the fuse that requires warmup time and cooling time. Every tube amp I've owned sounded better after the tubes have warmed up (i.e. at least 1/2 hour. This is a fair amount of time 'to remember'' exactly what an amp sounded like.

Wb

My opinion only, If the amplifier and everything else in the chain is already warmed up, then play a tract on your best LP or CD, then turn off the power at the source, open the fuse holder, switch fuse, close fuse holder, turn power back on, wait only 30 seconds to get to same operational temperature and play same tract. Too many things change in a 1/2 hour, including my memory of the sound (Oldtimmers disease).

Mark

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #1,687 of 2,299
Good point, Mark.  My before/after comparison was spread over a couple days so that's probably the reason I didn't notice a difference.  Getting back to my overly cautious nature, I always avoid hot cycling my Leben (only to avoid tube wear) so I probably won't try a quick fuse swap.

Bottom line: I would probably ignore my experience or take it with many grains of salt. 
redface.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #1,689 of 2,299
Since we're talking about tweaks...has anyone tried new feet on these? I'm moving next week and am packing so when I unhooked the Leben I fiddled with the feet and realized they were hollow plastic.

They feel pretty cheap, and it's the only thing I dislike about the look, too.

I'm thinking about trying some of the Mapleshade threaded feet (Low Heavyfoot @ 1½"). It'd be just over $100 to redo all the Leben's feet, and I think if nothing else it'd look kick ass.

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #1,690 of 2,299
Quote:
Since we're talking about tweaks...has anyone tried new feet on these? I'm moving next week and am packing so when I unhooked the Leben I fiddled with the feet and realized they were hollow plastic.

They feel pretty cheap, and it's the only thing I dislike about the look, too.

I've got the Leben placed on a Billy Bags Component Rack with a Vibrapod under each of the feet. Should be a sufficient amount of vibration control as far as I'm concerned. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #1,691 of 2,299
It's honestly more for looks and simplicity. The threaded feet wouldn't be something the component 'sits on' they'd be part of the unit itself.

Quote:

I've got the Leben placed on a Billy Bags Component Rack with a Vibrapod under each of the feet. Should be a sufficient amount of vibration control as far as I'm concerned. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #1,692 of 2,299
I'm looking to get a Stillpoints component stand for the Leben.

I put one under my Naim dac and I've been trying to pick my jaw off the ground. I'm hoping there's a similar leap with the Leben.

As far as A and B comparisons with fuses, I think it's pretty easy. Put the new fuse in for a couple weeks, then take it out. You'll know what you're missing right away.

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #1,693 of 2,299
Just wondering if vibration contol is snake oil for the Leben?

The unit weighs around 10kg and does not have moving parts save volume control & switches.

Wouldn't vibration control be more suitable for a turntable or cd player?

Just throwing it out there feel free to agree or disagree.

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #1,694 of 2,299
Just wondering if vibration contol is snake oil for the Leben?

The unit weighs around 10kg and does not have moving parts save volume control & switches.

Wouldn't vibration control be more suitable for a turntable or cd player?

Just throwing it out there feel free to agree or disagree.

Tube gear benefits from it in general, usually.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #1,695 of 2,299
Quote:
It's honestly more for looks and simplicity. The threaded feet wouldn't be something the component 'sits on' they'd be part of the unit itself.

No doubt Mapleshade feet would do a fine job controlling vibration and look much better cosmetically than my setup and even better than a stock CS300XS. Just be sure the Leben is placed on a sturdy rack or platform and you would be good to go MT. Only problem is, and I know this from doing business with them, their products are not exactly inexpensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back