The Leben CS300XS Thread
Apr 18, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #2,221 of 2,299
Initially bought the 300XS for my LCD-X. Then got curious with the HD800. The Sennheiser is like a "speaker" put near on to your ears. I did hear the hum but it has not really been a big issue for me.
After sometimes, I got bored with headphones and tried to find a matching speaker for the amp. The 300XS has a considerably low watt. Must admit that the choices out there are rather limited. My preferred option was to go for high efficiency speakers.
After sometimes I finally managed to find one that still stay within my budget. I bought Zu - Omen mkII bookshelf.
It's been almost 2 years now and I'm still very much in love with my Leben. I listen a lot to Classicals and Symphonies. The Leben is very neutral and it's definitely one of the amps worth noting.

I went on the same trip. I had a the original LCD-2s when they first came out and wanted a nice amplifier to pair them with. I started with vintage audio, receivers like the Luxman R-1120a and the Pioneer SX1250, both drove the LCD's great. Then I went to Leben but not the 300XS, but rather the 600 because I wanted something that could power speakers. Seems like a shame to buy a stereo integrated amplifier as beautiful and sweet sounding as the Leben and only use them for headphones. If anything, the Leben is a great 'gateway' to more hifi if not only an outstanding headphone amp. I went with Devore speakers, initially the Nines but upgraded to the O96. If you're in the market for high sensitivity speakers for the Leben I can't recommend the Devore Orangutan line enough, given you have the space for them. The Zu line also pairs well. 

Be warned though, once you start with Leben you might get curious about that other brand called Shindo...

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #2,222 of 2,299
With 96db/watt/meter speakers do they reveal any hum?

I was very interested in listening to the Orangutang's before I bought my Thrax lyres, but was not to be. I am happy with the Thrax but still wonder what the sound is like with the orangutang. You don't by chance live anywhere near Norfolk?

Zoroastrian

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #2,223 of 2,299
  With 96db/watt/meter speakers do they reveal any hum?

I was very interested in listening to the Orangutang's before I bought my Thrax lyres, but was not to be. I am happy with the Thrax but still wonder what the sound is like with the orangutang. You don't by chance live anywhere near Norfolk?

Zoroastrian

I don't hear any hum. Usually I can hear tube noise with bad tubes, but not any hum even when nothing is playing. I live in FL, sorry.

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #2,224 of 2,299
"Be warned though, once you start with Leben you might get curious about that other brand called Shindo..."
log0's suggestion seems interesting. I wonder how the Shindo would sounds. 

So thus the DeVore's series. It's too bad that there isn't a local dealer here to approach to.
I've also been dead curious on Western Electric 16a horn.. Read on reviews that it sounds beautiful. 

Btw. just replaced my DAC to Chord DAVE and connects it to the Leben. It's definitely giving me the WOW effect.
It's as if Mr. DAVE has just given my speakers and amp a vocal lesson..
An expensive "lesson" and a pain for the wallet indeed. Though I must sinfully admit that it's damn worth it..
Total satisfaction...

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #2,225 of 2,299
Hello,

I was wondering how does the phase inversion work in Leben CS300X? For me it seems that the method is a long tailed pair variant, but schematics do not show any tail resistor. Now when tail resistor is absent doesn't that 330uF cap short the signal to B- (and this way no signal for driving the cathode)?

- Timo -

(WRONG :)   EDIT:   I just realized that this is a DC coupled long-tailed pair instead of AC coupled one that I was more familiar of seeing...

(WRONG :)   EDIT 2:   Actually still unclear how this works... Can it be same time (AC) GF controlled to the first cathode and DC coupled between two cathodes? Is that 100 Ohm resistor for this isolation reason (seems low value for this) or is it for balancing the output between inverted and non-inverted outputs? And if this is DC-coupled inverter I would expect something like 47K (or maybe even 470K) value for the resistor stated at 470 Ohm. Weird... Also the way the second grid is connected to tube signal outputs through those 1M resistors instead of connecting it through cap to B- is not typical - I think :)  Anyone got any information about this whole arrangement and its benefits compared to more typical solutions?

EDIT 3:   Oh dear... I was so much thinking about Long tailed pair circuit that did not see that it was floating type paraphase circuit. So not cathode driven at all (instead that GF to first cathode). So very nice old fashioned and good sounding phase inverting solution.

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #2,227 of 2,299
I use EE minimax with my CS-300X. I have upgraded this DAC with Amperex 7316 Long plate + discrete op-amp (DEXA).

They sound great to my ear!

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #2,229 of 2,299
For the sake of completeness this how I use my set-up:

iMAC (with 'pure music' set to integer mode) --> Audioquest jitterbug USB --> Audiophellio USB to SPDIF Converter --> EE Minimax DAC --> Leben CS-300X (furutech fuse, Amperex EL84 and Raytheon 5751 or 7729) --> Proac Tablette reference 8 Signature

I have never tried using the minimax directly though.

Hope this helps!

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #2,231 of 2,299
I am selling my CS-300SX in the classifieds section if anyone is interested.

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #2,233 of 2,299
HI Leben cs300xs Lovers

I am very new in the tube amp world and also on this forum..so bare with me :) I have a few questions about the Leben 300xs as i found one locally here in Denmark.

Im gonna run it with my Linn lp12 and Linn Majik 109 (wall/bookshelf) speakers.. As for phono stage i have a pro-ject phono box ds.

Questions... Are my speakers good to go with the watt that the Leben 300xs offers? Is it cheap of me not to get a good tube phono stage now that i am spending a lot on a new amp?

Hope to hear from some of you guys...

Cheers

Anders 

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #2,234 of 2,299

Users who are viewing this thread

Back