The Leben CS300XS Thread
Apr 22, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #2,236 of 2,299
About the hum issues mentioned above, it is the only drawback for the Leben. But i have had no hum with lcd3, 2, He500, q701 among others. But for high impedance and especially sensitive headphones i do notice some hum. Do you have a chance to try it at home before you buy? I believe local mains power conditions matter on this. It is a magical amp, worth a little extra effort
smily_headphones1.gif

Does the hum happen on low impedance high sensitive headphones like most of japanese headphones ?

Aug 23, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #2,239 of 2,299
What are the better EL84 tubes?

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #2,240 of 2,299
Hi,

This thread is amazing. I wonder if someone has compared the original CS300 vs the CS300XS and what are the sonic differences between the two while using with speakers (I understand that with headphones they are identical), thank you.

Dec 16, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #2,241 of 2,299
hi there guys!

After search for a lot of options (Unison Simply Italia, Unico, PrimaLuna Prologue Premium, Mastersound Dueventi...) for esthetics, quality, etc I've decided for the CS300 but will be used mainly with a couple of new Klipsch Heresy III.

My doubts come from the model itself, what are differences, besides tube, between F and XS model? is it easy to find replacement for the F tubes?

Greetings from Spain!

Jan 13, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #2,243 of 2,299
Hi guys
At the moment im listening to my hd650 with my leben, its a superb pairing IMO, yet somehow i keep thinking that the overall sound of hd650 become too thin & bright with the leben, Do someone here have same opinion as i do ? Besides that, hd650 & leben is match up pairing... love this combo

Jan 13, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #2,244 of 2,299
hi there guys!

After search for a lot of options (Unison Simply Italia, Unico, PrimaLuna Prologue Premium, Mastersound Dueventi...) for esthetics, quality, etc I've decided for the CS300 but will be used mainly with a couple of new Klipsch Heresy III.

My doubts come from the model itself, what are differences, besides tube, between F and XS model? is it easy to find replacement for the F tubes?

Greetings from Spain!
hi there guys!

Greetings from Spain!
Have you compared unison simply italia and leben side by side? Would like to here your opinion... both amps are great

Jan 24, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #2,245 of 2,299
Hi all,

I'm eyeing a CS300F with stock and NOS Amperex tubes to consolidate a few headphone amps. The synergy with HD800 is well-documented but I cannot find much on the Leben amp with AKG K1000. Anyone here use this combination and care to comment?

Thanks!

Feb 1, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #2,246 of 2,299
Hi,

This thread is amazing. I wonder if someone has compared the original CS300 vs the CS300XS and what are the sonic differences between the two while using with speakers (I understand that with headphones they are identical), thank you.

I had the chance to do this comparison lately with a person i met who owns a cs300X with my own CS300, both equiped with RTC E84L(military grade made by Siemens) and 5751 Jan GE. It happened that we had both equiped our beloved amps with almost the same tubes.(his 5751 Jan Ge are triple mica, black plates wheras mine are standard nos 5751 Jan Ge)
We did the listening at his place on Tannoy Turnberry speakers. Well, there is a difference we could notice, and quite a big to our tastes. I still love my amp, but i really liked what i heard with the CS300x.

To sum up this listening afternoon, we listened on several CDs only 4 or 5, classic, jazz(old and new recordings), the sames for both amps and before any listening, we let them sit for ten minutes for warming up.
We started with mine(CS300), on the other amp owner room and equipement. We were having fun, drinking coffee and small cakes, one guy that never listened to that little leben before that was there with us was thrilled and awed, and while listening to my amp, we did get to hear a nice sounding amp with the tannoy. I have to say that on one recording, a violin was very sour and wrinkled my hear, it never happened on my on rig at home, i was quite surprised.
When we changed for the CS300x, its owner was choked by the sounds of its amp, like it had less mater in sound, shallower in a sense but was way sharper in stereo imaging. I prefered it myself to mine for the sharper stereo. The third person with us prefered mine to the cs300X, for its warmer and eftier sound. When we got to listen to the same violin, it was nice this time and the arshness had disapeared. So in the end, there is a difference, but i cant tell whether one will prefer one or the other. Everybody that is going to spend as much money in an amp IMHO should consider listening to the amp before buying it. Mine is just fine at home, and i dont feel i'll change for a newer one like a cs300xs, even i was quite impressed by the cs300X that was much more on the analytic side.

Last note to consider here : I bought my CS300 in 2014 while it was bought for the first time in 2004, and i liked the sound of the amp i was going to buy on this second hand market.
I got it checked after by a professional for potential worn out components. Nothing was changed on it and every thing was good according to specs. I just replaced all the tubes that where worn out, just after i bought it and it even sound way better. But i can't tell what wat its life before, how it was used(often or not), and from what i was told(by the 3rd or 4th owner) (and from what its worth) it has not been modified in anyway. I have seen in this gigantic thread a chart with the component differences. And on the specs, the cs300x is a pound more heavy that the CS300. I could not find the Schematics of the CS300, to compare with the schematics of the CS300X thats all over the web.

Oh and btw, i use a an AKG K701 and the guy, who owns the CS300X we made the comparison with, uses the same headphones :wink:.

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #2,247 of 2,299
I had the chance to do this comparison lately with a person i met who owns a cs300X with my own CS300, both equiped with RTC E84L(military grade made by Siemens) and 5751 Jan GE. It happened that we had both equiped our beloved amps with almost the same tubes.(his 5751 Jan Ge are triple mica, black plates wheras mine are standard nos 5751 Jan Ge)
We did the listening at his place on Tannoy Turnberry speakers. Well, there is a difference we could notice, and quite a big to our tastes. I still love my amp, but i really liked what i heard with the CS300x.

To sum up this listening afternoon, we listened on several CDs only 4 or 5, classic, jazz(old and new recordings), the sames for both amps and before any listening, we let them sit for ten minutes for warming up.
We started with mine(CS300), on the other amp owner room and equipement. We were having fun, drinking coffee and small cakes, one guy that never listened to that little leben before that was there with us was thrilled and awed, and while listening to my amp, we did get to hear a nice sounding amp with the tannoy. I have to say that on one recording, a violin was very sour and wrinkled my hear, it never happened on my on rig at home, i was quite surprised.
When we changed for the CS300x, its owner was choked by the sounds of its amp, like it had less mater in sound, shallower in a sense but was way sharper in stereo imaging. I prefered it myself to mine for the sharper stereo. The third person with us prefered mine to the cs300X, for its warmer and eftier sound. When we got to listen to the same violin, it was nice this time and the arshness had disapeared. So in the end, there is a difference, but i cant tell whether one will prefer one or the other. Everybody that is going to spend as much money in an amp IMHO should consider listening to the amp before buying it. Mine is just fine at home, and i dont feel i'll change for a newer one like a cs300xs, even i was quite impressed by the cs300X that was much more on the analytic side.

Last note to consider here : I bought my CS300 in 2014 while it was bought for the first time in 2004, and i liked the sound of the amp i was going to buy on this second hand market.
I got it checked after by a professional for potential worn out components. Nothing was changed on it and every thing was good according to specs. I just replaced all the tubes that where worn out, just after i bought it and it even sound way better. But i can't tell what wat its life before, how it was used(often or not), and from what i was told(by the 3rd or 4th owner) (and from what its worth) it has not been modified in anyway. I have seen in this gigantic thread a chart with the component differences. And on the specs, the cs300x is a pound more heavy that the CS300. I could not find the Schematics of the CS300, to compare with the schematics of the CS300X thats all over the web.

Oh and btw, i use a an AKG K701 and the guy, who owns the CS300X we made the comparison with, uses the same headphones :wink:.

Thanks a lot for your reply this was really enlightened. I have purchased the CS300X (as the CS300 is not anymore available new) but I suspected there would be differences between the two and I was thinking about it while making that choice. Admittedly the CS300 is the one most reviews were written for so there is really no information on the differences. I'm happy with the X but haven't really listened to the non X version. Still a great amplifiers.

Feb 6, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #2,248 of 2,299
I'm happy with the X but haven't really listened to the non X version. Still a great amplifiers.
X version or not, these are great amplifiers I agree.
There is an interresting chart on page 83 of this thread that tends to draw some components differences between the 3 versions. I noticed another transfo in the X(Limited) version i saw but its not in the 300 version, so I am not sure about the contents of this doc.
Anyway in the end, what matters the most IMHO is that you are beeing happy with your Leben, like I am with mine when every day I listen to music with it.

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #2,249 of 2,299
Hello folks. The leben 300xs seems to divide a lot of opinions in several forums. I have seen raving reviews talking about resolution and clarity, but also bad reviews talking about goo sound, flabby bass and poor resolution. Is there any explanation beyond personal preferences about those differents reviews?

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #2,250 of 2,299
Hello folks. The leben 300xs seems to divide a lot of opinions in several forums. I have seen raving reviews talking about resolution and clarity, but also bad reviews talking about goo sound, flabby bass and poor resolution. Is there any explanation beyond personal preferences about those differents reviews?

Audio is all about personal preference anyhow so you can only judge by auditioning yourself. For what is worth every professional reviewer I know of that tested it gave it an exceptional review when it came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back