The Leben CS300XS Thread
Mar 25, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #2,206 of 2,299
      It is too bad that you have to sell your Leben CS300XS (Stereophile class A, they say nothing better) integrated amplifier. If properly set up they do sound rather good. If it is because of other expenses of life then I understand, but if you are not happy with the sound, consider rolling the tubes.

To make mine sound it's best, I did replace the two stock 12AX7 valves with new old stock (NOS) vintage Amperex Holland "Made for medicine" (lower noise) valves, and the four Sovtek EL84s I replaced with x4 NOS 60's vintage Amperex designed for Hammond Organs and the notes plumped up nicely. This is what a valve amplifier is supposed to sound like. 

I am also currently burning in two NOS Brimar yellow T 6060 valves for my Leben phono stage, which are still burning in so I can't decide whether better or not than the JAN 6060s that were in there before, but if anybody is out there who also has this phono stage then let me know and I will write back with the outcome. 

Mark

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #2,207 of 2,299
      It is too bad that you have to sell your Leben CS300XS (Stereophile class A, they say nothing better) integrated amplifier. If properly set up they do sound rather good. If it is because of other expenses of life then I understand, but if you are not happy with the sound, consider rolling the tubes.

To make mine sound it's best, I did replace the two stock 12AX7 valves with new old stock (NOS) vintage Amperex Holland "Made for medicine" (lower noise) valves, and the four Sovtek EL84s I replaced with x4 NOS 60's vintage Amperex designed for Hammond Organs and the notes plumped up nicely. This is what a valve amplifier is supposed to sound like. 

I am also currently burning in two NOS Brimar yellow T 6060 valves for my Leben phono stage, which are still burning in so I can't decide whether better or not than the JAN 6060s that were in there before, but if anybody is out there who also has this phono stage then let me know and I will write back with the outcome. 

Mark

Sorry, don't agree with you.
Have a read of the guys classified and he mentions there are better amps at the price.

Me being an owner previously of a CS300X agrees.

Its a good amp, but there are many that are better at the price.

I know it doesn't feel great trying to justify a product you own,if its of any help I have been there done that.

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #2,208 of 2,299

Well deuter, 

I do agree that I have heard better, but not at that price and now not available in the European Union. Shindo Masetto pre-amplifier, £10,000 + did sound better I have to admit. At that price it should. No headphone output, and now no longer available in the European Union because of cadmium and other toxic parts from old world parts. My First Watt F3 did not sound better. My custom build Fi WE 275A single ended amplifier did not sound better, with an audible Illusions modulus 3 pre-amplifier or with just volume pots. I have heard other peoples Classe' and Quads, Macintosh and Boulder, but not heard better than I currently have, but then again, you don't know nor have you heard what I currently have.

I've been in the hobby for more than 40 years now. I was a member of the Oregon Triode Society in the early days when we were experimenting with high purity silver wire, NOS single ended triodes, high sensitivity horn loaded speakers and parts harvested from old movie theatres. I've been through all the BS of "Zero total harmonic distortion", and "perfect sound forever". I've built my own speakers, crossovers, amplifiers, and thrown them out and started again. I've been to too many hi fi shows where I didn't like the sound of anything there. Finally, I have put together a system that I can live with. I enjoy my records again. It is Leben based and will no doubt be the last hi fi equipment I ever buy. Perhaps it is because I am old and jaded that my ears are shot. Perhaps I can't hear anymore the subtle problems this hi fi presents. I am not claiming to be an expert, just someone who has been around long enough to know ******** when I hear it.

How about you? What is your experience that makes you an expert in this field? Please enlighten us. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #2,209 of 2,299

Well deuter, 

I do agree that I have heard better, but not at that price and now not available in the European Union. Shindo Masetto pre-amplifier, £10,000 + did sound better I have to admit. At that price it should. No headphone output, and now no longer available in the European Union because of cadmium and other toxic parts from old world parts. My First Watt F3 did not sound better. My custom build Fi WE 275A single ended amplifier did not sound better, with an audible Illusions modulus 3 pre-amplifier or with just volume pots. I have heard other peoples Classe' and Quads, Macintosh and Boulder, but not heard better than I currently have, but then again, you don't know nor have you heard what I currently have.

I've been in the hobby for more than 40 years now. I was a member of the Oregon Triode Society in the early days when we were experimenting with high purity silver wire, NOS single ended triodes, high sensitivity horn loaded speakers and parts harvested from old movie theatres. I've been through all the BS of "Zero total harmonic distortion", and "perfect sound forever". I've built my own speakers, crossovers, amplifiers, and thrown them out and started again. I've been to too many hi fi shows where I didn't like the sound of anything there. Finally, I have put together a system that I can live with. I enjoy my records again. It is Leben based and will no doubt be the last hi fi equipment I ever buy. Perhaps it is because I am old and jaded that my ears are shot. Perhaps I can't hear anymore the subtle problems this hi fi presents. I am not claiming to be an expert, just someone who has been around long enough to know ******** when I hear it.

How about you? What is your experience that makes you an expert in this field? Please enlighten us. 

Word....

popcorn.gif

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #2,210 of 2,299
Just wanted to clarify that I did engage in tube rolling (I'm including 24 tubes in addition to the 6 stock tubes).

I can understand how some people might enjoy tube rolling to find the perfect sound, but for me it was not a fun endeavor.  I was always paranoid that I was going to break something when pushing the tubes into the sockets.  When dealing with a $3,500 amp, that bothered me.  Plus, my memory of sound signatures is not good enough to really compare and contrast one type of tube to another.  They pretty much all sounded the same to me.  Now, to be fair, the sound was absolutely sublime with my LCD3.  But after a while I decided to leave my Leben for a solid state amp (GS-X MK2).

Another thing that bothered me about the Leben was the hum when I listened with my HD800.  There has been a lot of discussion in this thread about that issue, but every "solution" that was offered was beyond my skill level.  I don't think I should have to swap out resistors and learn how to solder just to fix the hum of a $3,500 amp.

As I said in my sale thread, I still think the Leben has a slight edge over the GS-X MK2 when used with the LCD3.  But that edge just wasn't worth it for me.

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #2,214 of 2,299
I think some might criticize this amp on the wrong terms. This it what it is:
1) A great small speaker amp for sensitive speakers
2) A very good headphone amplifier for low impedance headphones.
If you need both these functions, it is a great choice. As a headphone amplifier alone, some might find it twice as expensive as dedicated headphone amps performing at the same level, but that's subjective. For some it is worth it, others prefer other stuff. It is a piece of grear that ain't for all headphones nor all speakers. Choose your headphones and speakers with care, and it is a great option.

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #2,215 of 2,299
You make an excellent point, ardilla.  I always wanted to try the Leben with speakers, and on several occasions I was almost ready to purchase a pair of Zu Audio speakers.  If I had speakers to accompany the Leben and my LCD3's, I probably wouldn't sell it.

And you're also right about making proper, well-informed decisions when matching gear.  I definitely regretted buying the HD800 when I only had the Leben for amplification.

My decision to switch to a solid state amp was an entirely personal one and I know that most people on Head-Fi (especially those who are interested in higher-end equipment) prefer tube amps over solid state.  I guess I even do, considering my preference for the Leben over the GS-X MK2 when used with the LCD3.  But I also love the GS-X MK2 for its ability to drive many different cans.  And not having to tinker with parts (i.e. tubes, fuses, etc.) is a plus for me, even though many others enjoy tinkering.

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #2,216 of 2,299
  Just wanted to clarify that I did engage in tube rolling (I'm including 24 tubes in addition to the 6 stock tubes).

I can understand how some people might enjoy tube rolling to find the perfect sound, but for me it was not a fun endeavor.  I was always paranoid that I was going to break something when pushing the tubes into the sockets.  When dealing with a $3,500 amp, that bothered me.  Plus, my memory of sound signatures is not good enough to really compare and contrast one type of tube to another.  They pretty much all sounded the same to me.  Now, to be fair, the sound was absolutely sublime with my LCD3.  But after a while I decided to leave my Leben for a solid state amp (GS-X MK2).

Another thing that bothered me about the Leben was the hum when I listened with my HD800.  There has been a lot of discussion in this thread about that issue, but every "solution" that was offered was beyond my skill level.  I don't think I should have to swap out resistors and learn how to solder just to fix the hum of a $3,500 amp.

As I said in my sale thread, I still think the Leben has a slight edge over the GS-X MK2 when used with the LCD3.  But that edge just wasn't worth it for me.

I am sure that you tried NOS (or vintage tubes) and not the Russian remakes, but for the sake of our viewers out there who may not know we should point out that the Leben-CS300Xs (s for Sovtek) comes with Russian-made Sovtek valves in it, and all the new Mullards and Genalex valves available from different retailers out there brand new for less than $50.00 are Russian-made as well. 

The earlier Leben CS300X(limited) were provided with NOS Mullard EL84s. There were not made in Russia but in England back in the 1960's. Same Brimar, and Genalex-Gold Lions. These vintage valves have warmth, solid sound stages, wonderful tone, but yet also reveal bits in the recording often missed with lesser valves. They sound more real like real instruments and singers in space. 

The modern Mullard EL84 remakes (or 12AX7), just like Genalex - Gold Lions remakes, are not made in England but in Russia (completely different equipment, techniques and alloys than the originals). The modern re-makes (fakes) sound like solid-state, nothing like those vintage valves made from the 50s-70s, and since the valves you are replacing come from the same company that builds the replacements, what's the point? 

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #2,217 of 2,299
I use my CS300sx with a pair of Harbeths P3esr and the sound is wonderful. I also listen to LCD-3s which we all know are a great match for the Leben. It is a wonderful integrated amp.

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #2,218 of 2,299
I drive a pair of Thrax Lyra loudspeakers and they sound mighty nice too. Though they were designed to handle 20-250 watts, their 90db/watt/meter sensitivity makes they fine with the little CS-300Xs. Bit costly though, and not real well known yet.  

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,219 of 2,299
I drive the Leben CS300 with the Zu Soul Superfly and the combo is magnificent to my ears. I'm sure there are better speaker amps and headphone amps out there, but I doubt there is a amp that can do both that's just as good. For me the Leben is the best headphone amp I've tried and sounds very good with the Audeze LCD-2F and Hifiman HE-500. Unfortunately for me it does not sound good with the ZMF Omni at all. After twelve o'clock it goes into clipping and distortion mode. With the Audeze LCD-2F I can't go past ten o'clock without hurting my ears.  I have the 270ohm resistor so that can't be the cause. 

All in all great amp!

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #2,220 of 2,299
Initially bought the 300XS for my LCD-X. Then got curious with the HD800. The Sennheiser is like a "speaker" put near on to your ears. I did hear the hum but it has not really been a big issue for me.
After sometimes, I got bored with headphones and tried to find a matching speaker for the amp. The 300XS has a considerably low watt. Must admit that the choices out there are rather limited. My preferred option was to go for high efficiency speakers.
After sometimes I finally managed to find one that still stay within my budget. I bought Zu - Omen mkII bookshelf.
It's been almost 2 years now and I'm still very much in love with my Leben. I listen a lot to Classicals and Symphonies. The Leben is very neutral and it's definitely one of the amps worth noting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back