The Leben CS300XS Thread
Feb 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2,041 of 2,299
  Errr...does that actually produce good sound on the HE-6?  What's the output on the headphone tap?

side note:  I don't own a Leben but am fascinated by this congregation of what I'd call 'the golden sound masochists'.  It must be really special for you guys to put up with the deficiencies such as the noise floor on the speaker out (obviously mainly an issue with headphones), low power, technical issues....  I could purchase a used 300 model for 1500 EUR (been on sale for a long time on a Belgian site) and admit to being curious but it's just a bit too risky for me as I listen exclusively with headphones and love my HE-6.

I have noissues with noise or hum on the leven ezcept when using high impedance phones. Low impedance phones, even the 110dB Sennheiser Momerntum are quiet. 

I tried it with the Klipsch RF8 rated at 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m and had no hum there either. 

I think the hum from the Leben varies a lot with mains and tubes, since others report otherwise. But I think that is a minority. . 

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #2,042 of 2,299
Thanks for the feedback!   Anyway, I have a FirstWatt F3 on the way to try with my HE-6 as a dedicated amp (long story, bottom line is that I want to find out if the extra power on tap really makes a difference vs my V800/V200 combo) and if I'd want I could always hook that one up with high efficiency speakers such as Lowthers + with a couple of resistors I'll also be able to use it with my HE-500 and Senn.  

Still fascinated by the Leben somehow but it's just too big a risk to purchase blind especially as (at least in Belgium) it seems to be an illiquid asset.  

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #2,043 of 2,299
  Errr...does that actually produce good sound on the HE-6?  What's the output on the headphone tap?

side note:  I don't own a Leben but am fascinated by this congregation of what I'd call 'the golden sound masochists'.  It must be really special for you guys to put up with the deficiencies such as the noise floor on the speaker out (obviously mainly an issue with headphones), low power, technical issues....  I could purchase a used 300 model for 1500 EUR (been on sale for a long time on a Belgian site) and admit to being curious but it's just a bit too risky for me as I listen exclusively with headphones and love my HE-6.

No, it doesn't produce good sound. It sounds eyewetting sublime with classical, vocal and soft genres!
I think the output from HPO is about 1 Watt on my unit, which is enough for moderate to moderately loud levels, but not for very loud listening.

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #2,045 of 2,299
So that sounds like the "newer" ones which I had heard used a dropping resistor. I asked Leben about the headphone out quite a few years ago so the design may well have changed.

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #2,046 of 2,299
Has anyone tried the Leben with the LCD-X? I know people just rave about the LCD-2 combo but I haven't heard much about their older sibling. I'm assuming it'll be amazing of course but it's bizarre that there's not much written about it. Trying to pick between the two currently and any thoughts would be crazy helpful

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2,047 of 2,299
Hi. I did anyone try to add a switch to change the resistor values?

I have low level noise in the right channel with HD650/600 but it's completely silent with Grado RS1. The sound is excellent with the RS1 and I don't want to lose that, so I'm considering adding a switch.
There is no good space for a second headphone output I think.

Would it be possible to flip that kind of switch while the amp is on or would it have to be turned off?

Thanks

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #2,048 of 2,299
Doh!It was a long time since I've read this page and saw now that there is page after page of "noise" talk without a perfect solution it seems.

Mar 23, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #2,049 of 2,299
Yes, and that's the main reason I've definitely decided not to get one, despite liking the design of the device and (mostly) unanimity on the sound quality via speakers.  But paying >3k EUR new for a device with a headphone out that's under-powered for most of my cans and that carries a very real risk of producing hum when using the speaker posts directly....no way, that's just too much.  Will never use it with speakers either.  Too bad because I saw one (believe it was the 600 though) in Tokyo last week and it looked drop-dead gorgeous imo.

Edit:  To be fair, it was never designed  with the intention of driving low-efficiency headphones like my HifiMan cans from the speaker posts of course, causing an output impedance mismatch.  But unfortunately using it to drive headphones would be my sole purpose so I decided to go the FirstWatt F5 clone path instead.

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #2,050 of 2,299
  Yes, and that's the main reason I've definitely decided not to get one, despite liking the design of the device and (mostly) unanimity on the sound quality via speakers.  But paying >3k EUR new for a device with a headphone out that's under-powered for most of my cans and that carries a very real risk of producing hum when using the speaker posts directly....no way, that's just too much.  Will never use it with speakers either.  Too bad because I saw one (believe it was the 600 though) in Tokyo last week and it looked drop-dead gorgeous imo.

Edit:  To be fair, it was never designed  with the intention of driving low-efficiency headphones like my HifiMan cans from the speaker posts of course, causing an output impedance mismatch.  But unfortunately using it to drive headphones would be my sole purpose so I decided to go the FirstWatt F5 clone path instead.

I have no issue with hum except on high impedance cans (like the HD800).

It is however, my all time favorite with the HE500 - and it drives the HE-6 very good from the speaker tabs via HE adapter (unless you are into hardcore and dubstep) so I wouldn't say it underpoweres most of your cans ,)

There are only a few users that experience hum issues, so I wouldn't be too anxious. Listening to it with the LCD-3 and it is simply gorgeous =) 

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #2,051 of 2,299
Ardilla, people like you make my bankers anxious.  But it's much appreciated.  For my music it's simple at least as I listen to 98% classical and the remainder jazz & blues on those rare sultry nights in Europe when I need an excuse to sip a good malt and sweat it out with the glowing tubes next to me while sucking on a fat cuban cigar and zero probability of anyone needing my attention. I use a humble customised DV 337 with a variety of tubes with the 500 and agree that those are simply made for a good tube amplifier (as are the HD-800 imo).

Coming summer I'm shifting back to Europe for a couple of years -cheers to no more 120+ nights/year spent in hotel rooms, planes and airports- and then I'll take the time to thoroughly audition a couple of Leben models.  It's irrational but I really do dig the looks of 'm. But whatever happens, I'll want to do the auditioning and if it sounds right, take that particular unit and that one only with me.  I had the opportunity to purchase a used 300 (base model) a couple of months back at 1500 EUR but didn't want to chance it as there was no way to audition nor to return after purchasing if there would have been a problem.

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #2,052 of 2,299
  Ardilla, people like you make my bankers anxious.  But it's much appreciated.  For my music it's simple at least as I listen to 98% classical and the remainder jazz & blues on those rare sultry nights in Europe when I need an excuse to sip a good malt and sweat it out with the glowing tubes next to me while sucking on a fat cuban cigar and zero probability of anyone needing my attention. I use a humble customised DV 337 with a variety of tubes with the 500 and agree that those are simply made for a good tube amplifier (as are the HD-800 imo).

Coming summer I'm shifting back to Europe for a couple of years -cheers to no more 120+ nights/year spent in hotel rooms, planes and airports- and then I'll take the time to thoroughly audition a couple of Leben models.  It's irrational but I really do dig the looks of 'm. But whatever happens, I'll want to do the auditioning and if it sounds right, take that particular unit and that one only with me.  I had the opportunity to purchase a used 300 (base model) a couple of months back at 1500 EUR but didn't want to chance it as there was no way to audition nor to return after purchasing if there would have been a problem.

Haha - well - you should never spend more on audio than you can afford. A great system doesnt have to break the bank, and you definetly don't always get a subjectively more joyful experience from spending more. 

Auditioning at home is always a preferred option, but then again - if you get a great 2nd hand deal - you can alays pass it on to someone else :)

BTW - aesthetics is not irrational ,)

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2,055 of 2,299
Wow I'm surprised that the Leben is up to the task of driving the Maggies. Both are great products for sure! You feel the Leben has enough power for 1.7's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back