The Leben CS300XS Thread
Aug 21, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #1,231 of 2,299
Quote:
nice seeing you here. Hope you're enjoying the Leben, glad that initial scare took care of itself :)

Thanks, Xavier. Although the Leben has opened the door to numerous upgrades. Just what I was afraid of. 
blink.gif

I installed a Maestro outlet, and the Leben sounds more transparent than ever. 

I know you are enjoying your Accuphase. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #1,232 of 2,299
Yes, I am using the windmill getter 5751 in my CS300. Wonderful tubes.

I agree Skylab I bought 2 tubes from Langrex when I was on holiday in the Uk this June.

Do you have a preference of EL84's withe the windmill getters?

I have recently tried them with a quad of Langrex bought NOS Philips (Russian black tops made circa late 1960s) EL84's which had a nice synergy. Also tried them with a quad of Australian made NOS PHILIPS Miniwatts - superb EL84s.

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #1,234 of 2,299
I've been using mostly black-plate Sylvania 6BQ5's, which I am quite partial to.

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,235 of 2,299
OKAY
I can officially join the club.  Got mine today, currently has the stock GE 5751 and the Genalex Gold Lion N709.  Beyerdynamic T1's.

It gets better than this?  Really?

Honestly, at first I didn't hear a significant difference from my modded out Bottlehead Crack.  But as things warmed up and I heard more...thinking I get it now.

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #1,240 of 2,299
I think it's awesome that the Leben has the bass boost control, although I confess I wish that the gradations were more subtle. 3dB is probably just right for speakers, but it's a wee bit much for most headphones...although I LOVED that with the HD800 :D

Seriously more amps should have tone controls, and more audiophiles shouldn't be afraid of them :p

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #1,241 of 2,299
X2

But they need GOOD tone controls (of course..) . And further - all headphone amps - or dacs - should have cross-feed. I really love the DA11 for this. 
Quote:
I think it's awesome that the Leben has the bass boost control, although I confess I wish that the gradations were more subtle. 3dB is probably just right for speakers, but it's a wee bit much for most headphones...although I LOVED that with the HD800
biggrin.gif

Seriously more amps should have tone controls, and more audiophiles shouldn't be afraid of them
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #1,242 of 2,299
Indeed. I think my favorite feature of the TOTL 70's Pioneer receivers are the dual-stage tone controls. Having the 50Hz bass and 10kHz treble controls in addition to the more traditional bass and treble controls makes all the difference - I never use the "traditional" two, but the "extreme" two I use all the time.

Most bass tone controls extend to far up in frequency, which is why many people don't like them. But there have been lots of well implemented ones too.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #1,243 of 2,299
Quote:
X2

But they need GOOD tone controls (of course..) . And further - all headphone amps - or dacs - should have cross-feed. I really love the DA11 for this. 

Is cross-feed what the Taboo has, called Lucid mode?

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #1,244 of 2,299
Yeah, it seems like +2dB would be just right.  Or maybe if the boost started at somewhere between 50-80hz vs. 100hz?

+3dB tends to be just over the edge of "too much" on my T1, depending on the song....  So I can't decide if I should just listen like that and try to dial back the low end a bit via tubes, or if I should go the other way and keep it at 0dB and try to get a little more oomph via different tubes.

Or, just get different headphones (it never ends)

Regarding the T1, I find that the brighter high end doesn't bother me at all...it actually sounds "right" to me and I never experience fatigue after many hours..hence I'm not sure if I'd like the "darker" LCD sound on the Leben.
I guess when I think of it, the +3dB bass boost probably kicks the low end up to the same level as the high end 10k-ish peak of the T1, creating more of a smiley EQ signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back