The Leben CS300XS Thread
Sep 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #931 of 2,299
I tried my T5p on the Leben and the result was quite good. If it don't sound right always tube roll a bit - there always is a pair or quad of tubes which matches your headphone.

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #932 of 2,299
That one of the biggest overkills I've seen
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I just hit the <$100 headphones arena. I heard Deep Funk's in Amsterdam and was floored. The over-all lows have great wonderful impact. The mids are well-presented, and the highs, at this moment, are a bit grainy but that's because they are still new--only 2 hours of burn in. I got them for a portable system, which I do not yet have, so I am using them on the Leben and others. Nice nice nice.

Sep 4, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #933 of 2,299

Quote:
It SOUNDS good, but I was warned it might damage the output transformer over time, so I stopped doing it.

Just get some 8 ohm resistors and hook them across the speaker out along with the headphones that will put the proper 8 Ohm load on the output transformer
They will also lower the noise floor so you could try the LCD-2.
Radio Shack has 8 ohm 20 watt non inductive resistors for under $3  part # 271-120

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #934 of 2,299
For the LCD-2, there is no need to do that - the Leben's headphone out, which is derived from a 32 ohm secondary winding off the output transformer, works wonderfully. Only needed for the HE-6.

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #935 of 2,299
Has Anyone tried to compare between the new Genalex Lion EL84 tubes Vs some NOS El84 like Mullard, Sylvania, Amperex or Telefunken?

My Leben already has 100 hours of break and I am thinking to change the tubes.
It arrived with a quad of reissue Genalex Lion EL84 and pair of new producction Tung sol 12AX7.

The true is that it sound now already  fantastic. It's difficult to think that  this yet can sound better.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #936 of 2,299
Quote:
A Sugar Daddy Amp for the K181 if I must say so myself. But guess what?: the K181 sounds incredible with the Woo 2. --But that's another amp, yes? Next up is the Beyerdynamic T50p if I can get ahold of one. If it doesn't sound good with a Leben, then perhaps it will never sound good--i think. Unless you pair it with a LF. --But then again, that's also another amp.

How do you say Leben character vs LF? considering LF is a Hybrid amp.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #937 of 2,299

Quote:
How do you say Leben character vs LF? considering LF is a Hybrid amp.

Both the Leben and the LF have incredible detail but I would say that the LF has a vibrant quality to its character next to the Leben. The Leben has a has a sophisticated warmth and fullness. Now, mind you, the LF has fullness as well but I would say it is more risky in it presentation. If I would compare them to guitars I'd say the LF is a Fender Stratocaster (Clapton); and the Leben is a Gibson SG Special (Santana). Artists' techniques aside, that's how I'd compare them sq-wise.

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #938 of 2,299
You explain it very well Clayton, but I really don't understand the difference between "Clapton" and "Santana", so sorry
biggrin.gif

What did you mean by "more risky in presentation"?  did you mean Leben is more forgiving for not so well recorded material and LF is less forgiving?

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #939 of 2,299

Quote:
You explain it very well Clayton, but I really don't understand the difference between "Clapton" and "Santana", so sorry
biggrin.gif

What did you mean by "more risky in presentation"?  did you mean Leben is more forgiving for not so well recorded material and LF is less forgiving?

Well the guitar that Clapton uses has a sort of clean sound, well-defined sq (technique aside) and Santana has a warmer sq--almost a growling sound--but still very well-defined. I apologize for using the guitar analogy because I realize that not everyone is familiar with the electric guitar sound signatures. My bad. As for using the adjective, risky--I mean that the LF is pushing the envelope of sound definition--currently it is incredibly agreeable and has no evidence of fatigue, but any further than that then the LF's sq would result in fatigue. I hope this is clearer; describing sound signatures is not my forte.

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #941 of 2,299

Quote:
Has Anyone tried to compare between the new Genalex Lion EL84 tubes Vs some NOS El84 like Mullard, Sylvania, Amperex or Telefunken?

It arrived with a quad of reissue Genalex Lion EL84 and pair of new producction Tung sol 12AX7.

The true is that it sound now already  fantastic. It's difficult to think that  this yet can sound better.

I have tried the Genelax Lion El84 alongside NOS Mullard, Amperex and Mullard (reissue)...and have to say its the one I like the least on my Leben cs-300x. I have tried it with Sylvania 5751 blackplates, RCA command 5751, Raytheon 5751, GE 5751 Blackplates and the Raytheon 7299...and none of these could make them sing.

My favourite pre and power tubes for the Leben are - Raytheon 7299 with Amperex EL84 Bugle boy D getter....a truly reference tube combo IMHO.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #942 of 2,299

Quote:

I have tried the Genelax Lion El84 alongside NOS Mullard, Amperex and Mullard (reissue)...and have to say its the one I like the least on my Leben cs-300x. I have tried it with Sylvania 5751 blackplates, RCA command 5751, Raytheon 5751, GE 5751 Blackplates and the Raytheon 7729...and none of these could make them sing.

My favourite pre and power tubes for the Leben are - Raytheon 7729 with Amperex EL84 Bugle boy D getter....a truly reference tube combo IMHO.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #943 of 2,299

Quote:
Torero said:

I have tried the Genelax Lion El84 alongside NOS Mullard, Amperex and Mullard (reissue)...and have to say its the one I like the least on my Leben cs-300x. I have tried it with Sylvania 5751 blackplates, RCA command 5751, Raytheon 5751, GE 5751 Blackplates and the Raytheon 7729...and none of these could make them sing.

My favourite pre and power tubes for the Leben are - Raytheon 7729 with Amperex EL84 Bugle boy D getter....a truly reference tube combo IMHO.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #944 of 2,299
aargh...tried to edit my post, but ended up re-posting it...twice. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back