The Leben CS300XS Thread
May 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #1,741 of 2,299
We just need Glenn to put together a short video.

May 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #1,743 of 2,299
Both!

May 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #1,744 of 2,299
Quote:

Sign me up. I would like to attend the live sessions. I'll take both of your classes for sure. Will you serve cookies during class breaks?
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #1,745 of 2,299
Quote:

But the same set of tubes that used to hum before is not humming anymore. How can that be? I have swapped 3 set of tubes just to check...and they are all dead quite now. I have never known Leben to be this quite.

Do I understand you correctly that you have tried several sets of tubes that you previously have used while the Leben had tis hum - and that using the exact same tubes now doesn't give  hum?

This impliesthat the tubes weren't the origin of the hum. 

So the only thing that you have changed is that resistor? Are you using the same AC power etc. - same location - all conditions identical except the resistor change?

May that resistor change be responsible for the hum-level-reduction?

May 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #1,746 of 2,299
^ I guess that cheap resistor is the weakest link. It is hard to imagine that not every component that is used to build a Leben is of good or excellent quality considering the premium they charge. If I could flip over my extremely heavy CS600 to photograph I would and send it to Glenn for his assessment on the components. My CS600 doesn't hum but I was just curious.

May 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #1,747 of 2,299
Quote:
^ I guess that cheap resistor is the weakest link. It is hard to imagine that not every component that is used to build a Leben is of good or excellent quality considering the premium they charge. If I could flip over my extremely heavy CS600 to photograph I would and send it to Glenn for his assessment on the components. My CS600 doesn't hum but I was just curious.

So - if I swap that resitor in my Leben - it might reduce the hum? Does that make any sense?

May 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #1,748 of 2,299
Quote:
So - if I swap that resitor in my Leben - it might reduce the hum? Does that make any sense?

I couldn't say. That is to say if the resistor is the same cheap one. Leben has been inconsistent in the parts it uses. Maybe yours has a better resistor. Who knows. I'd consult Glenn with photos.

May 12, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #1,749 of 2,299
I don't think that resistor by itself caused the hum.
It could have been done earlier with a bad tube and damaged the resistor changing it's resistance.
I don't know how hot this resistor gets maybe it should be a higher wattage so it don't cook itself to death.
What would be good is if some other people took pictures of this resistor and  I could see if they are cooking.

May 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #1,750 of 2,299
Quote:

Do I understand you correctly that you have tried several sets of tubes that you previously have used while the Leben had tis hum - and that using the exact same tubes now doesn't give  hum?

This impliesthat the tubes weren't the origin of the hum. 

So the only thing that you have changed is that resistor? Are you using the same AC power etc. - same location - all conditions identical except the resistor change?

May that resistor change be responsible for the hum-level-reduction?

That is right...the same set of tubes that were humming before are dead quite now.

May 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #1,753 of 2,299
Quote:

Just FYI...the 1K resistor replaced cost me just 40 cents. These are wire-wound resistors.

Is it possible that wire-wound resistors can change their resistance over time...through use / misuse / abuse etc?

May 12, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #1,754 of 2,299
Quote:

And what specific resistor did you get? Do you have a link? It seems like a magic piece :D

I got the resistor from Jaycar electronics. It cost me 40 cents a piece. they are just the generic types...nothing special.

the link is here: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=RR3298

May 12, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #1,755 of 2,299
Quote:

I got the resistor from Jaycar electronics. It cost me 40 cents a piece. they are just the generic types...nothing special.

the link is here: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=RR3298

It is a special resistor. Could you imagine what the cost would have been had you shipped it back to your distributor for > repairs > wait > wait > wait > $$$ > shipping charges back to you. You saved a bundle for just spending 40 cents and the soldering/electronics know-how. Excellent teamwork on yours and Glenn's part. Teamwork!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back