The Lambert "Play It By Ear" Headphone Amplifier - (DG Review) + Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #46 of 218
Count me in I just ordered one but if I'm not mistaken it will not be here until May. Umm Edit...
confused_face.gif
 I have contacted and asked about tube rolling but it's still forthcoming. Regardless, I have faith in Dub Step Girl's finding's.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #47 of 218
  Count me in I just ordered one but if I'm not mistaken it will not be here until May. I'm also interested in tube rolling with it. I have a nos tube of certain interest to me. When powering the amp on it will flash. Afterwards it just glow's like any other tube. I need to set my living room amp up to find them though. They're a matched pair.  It's a really cool effect though.

Actually, they indicated all amps will be delivered no later then May meaning you may get it a little sooner. It all depands how soon they hit their fundraising target

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #48 of 218

Actually, they indicated all amps will be delivered no later then May meaning you may get it a little sooner. It all depands how soon they hit their fundraising target

They already hit their goal so I'm hoping they can ship stuff out in the next month or two.

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #49 of 218
Hope so because I just purchased one for my HD800. :smiley:

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #51 of 218
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Each part of the amplifier is well finished and of premium quality; nothing feels cheap or DIY. . . . What impresses me the most, however, is that the “Play It By Ear” can have such clean and grain-free treble with the stock tube, as I usually have to roll several tubes before I find one that sounds good.

Thanks, DSG, for a review that is not only helpful but written with such stupefying competence that you've used hyphens only where compound adjectives demanded them.  Sometimes even the most experienced hobbyists conflate than for then while offering hard-won insights.  You've gone beyond that sort of basic skill and added sophistication to the stylistic nougat; e.g., by following a lengthy descriptive sentence with a short declarative one (which is what we nougat confectioners tend to do). 

Caps off to you.  Now back to our regular feature.

Given what you and my learned colleague DigitalFreak have uluated, it sounds as though the Lambert's upper-reg. smoothness might make its pomade gel with a pair of spike-haired DT-990s. 

Dec 31, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #53 of 218
I received an update from Indiegogo. It seems the units will be shipped starting mid of March so we should be expecting around 1st week of April 2015. That's a good news for the new year. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy new year to everybody! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #54 of 218
I'm waiting for more tubes to arrive before I pass any kind of definitive judgement on what it can do (dumb me sold off my 12AU7 collection a while back since I didn't expect to be heading back down the world of tubes that use that 9 pin variant)...  However, initial sonic impressions are quite good for the price being asked.  It won't ever be confused with the new Unison Research SH all tube headphone amp that I have been enjoying immensely, nor even my impressions of various Woo Audio pieces I've heard.  But based on first impressions, there is very good value at the Indigogo price.  It will power the various headphones I have here (all the Audeze models, all the Sennheiser models, Fostex TH500RP, TH600, TH900, modded T50RP, etc.) but not necessarily an ideal match for all of them.. I really like it with Sennheiser HD800s right now with the stock tube and my preferred cabling and DAC choices......

opening up the chassis (fiddling with interconnect changes and too tight locking RCAs loosened the RCA chassis jack... so wanted to tighten it down again)...  well...... I understand why they laid it out like they did... but I'm not a huge fan of the layout and "gluing" they did on all the connection points..... my repair technician is likely to grumble a bit if it ever needs any work done on it :) :frowning2:

so far, definitely worth the asking price on the IGG campaign... will put it more to the test in the next couple days after a few dozen 12AU7 variants show up here and see how they affect the sonics...

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #55 of 218
I'm waiting for more tubes to arrive before I pass any kind of definitive judgement on what it can do (dumb me sold off my 12AU7 collection a while back since I didn't expect to be heading back down the world of tubes that use that 9 pin variant)...  However, initial sonic impressions are quite good for the price being asked.  It won't ever be confused with the new Unison Research SH all tube headphone amp that I have been enjoying immensely, nor even my impressions of various Woo Audio pieces I've heard.  But based on first impressions, there is very good value at the Indigogo price.  It will power the various headphones I have here (all the Audeze models, all the Sennheiser models, Fostex TH500RP, TH600, TH900, modded T50RP, etc.) but not necessarily an ideal match for all of them.. I really like it with Sennheiser HD800s right now with the stock tube and my preferred cabling and DAC choices......

opening up the chassis (fiddling with interconnect changes and too tight locking RCAs loosened the RCA chassis jack... so wanted to tighten it down again)...  well...... I understand why they laid it out like they did... but I'm not a huge fan of the layout and "gluing" they did on all the connection points..... my repair technician is likely to grumble a bit if it ever needs any work done on it :) :frowning2:

so far, definitely worth the asking price on the IGG campaign... will put it more to the test in the next couple days after a few dozen 12AU7 variants show up here and see how they affect the sonics...

Interested to hear your impressions with different tubes. I do intend to use it mainly for my HD800. Cheers.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #56 of 218
Thanks, DSG, for a review that is not only helpful but written with such stupefying competence that you've used hyphens only where compound adjectives demanded them.  Sometimes even the most experienced hobbyists conflate than for then while offering hard-won insights.  You've gone beyond that sort of basic skill and added sophistication to the stylistic nougat; e.g., by following a lengthy descriptive sentence with a short declarative one (which is what we nougat confectioners tend to do). 

Caps off to you.  Now back to our regular feature.

Given what you and my learned colleague DigitalFreak have uluated, it sounds as though the Lambert's upper-reg. smoothness might make its pomade gel with a pair of spike-haired DT-990s. 

Geez, I didn't notice your post until just now. I'm sorry my friend, you must have thought of me as incredibly rude. I haven't seen you in ages. A big hello and happy belated new year to you.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #57 of 218
Geez, I didn't notice your post until just now. I'm sorry my friend, you must have thought of me as incredibly rude. I haven't seen you in ages. A big hello and happy belated new year to you.

No apologies nec, DF -- good to read from you as well.  A pleasure-laden holiday wish-spell to you, too. 

We had an enervated New Year's here at the creaky scryptian mansehold. We'd meant to drive into the city for cocktails at two friends' places (Harlem, LES) but grew tipsy at six and felt more inclined to peep flicks on our new 40" monitor than endure miles of gridlock and curbside idiocy. We slept in until dark tonight and it felt good. 

About that new Lambert:

The top-end brittle bristles dither you're describing makes it sound as though your new amp might pair well with either the DT-990 (infamous for its unforgiving highs) or the T-90. What's the most ohm-ravenous set you've tried to power and how well did it do?

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #58 of 218

No apologies nec, DF -- good to read from you as well.  A pleasure-laden holiday wish-spell to you, too. 

We had an enervated New Year's here at the creaky scryptian mansehold. We'd meant to drive into the city for cocktails at two friends' places (Harlem, LES) but grew tipsy at six and felt more inclined to peep flicks on our new 40" monitor than endure miles of gridlock and curbside idiocy. We slept in until dark tonight and it felt good. 

About that new Lambert:

The top-end brittle bristles dither you're describing makes it sound as though your new amp might pair well with either the DT-990 (infamous for its unforgiving highs) or the T-90. What's the most ohm-ravenous set you've tried to power and how well did it do?

I really miss reading your pros. It was quite entertaining reading your posts back on the old V-MODA M-100 thread.
Me, the folks, and my fiance welcomed in the new year at my cities local Portuguese Association over a three coarse meal. Fun was had by all and I left with a bursting belly.

To answer your question, its funny you would ask that. Tonight I threw on my prized vintage, the AKG K240 MP Sextette, which clocks in at a hungry 600 ohms. I got up to around four o clock before I had to back it off to between two and three o clock. The Lambert easily drives the Sextette without breaking a sweat. The pairing wasn't to bad albeit not the kind of pairing I usually look for. The Sextette is known to be on the warm side and has smooth highs. The treble was all there, think no roll off, but a tad to polite and smooth for my taste. Usually I like to pair my Sextette with something along the lines of a Schiit Vali or a ALO RX MKIII-B which both have a more edgey nature throughout the frequencies. The bass was quite nice sounding with this pairing and had very nice extension into the sub bass. I wouldn't call it bassy but the The Play It By Ear seems to do bass very nicely with all my headphones without being overly annoying. Generally, its a very pleasurable overly smooth sound with my Sextette.

Its good to see you're still active on these boards scrypt. If you decide to get the Play It By Ear welcome aboard

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #60 of 218
Hi guys, people have been asking for pics of the internals on the PIBE. I took apart one as far as I was willing to go as I did not want detach the MOSFET's from the chassis. And as the importer of these products we're not voiding anybody's warranty. :) You will see the power supply and Amplifier/Control board. Enjoy. 

Both of these shots are the underside plate opened up on the PIBE. The Blue board is where the 12AU7 tube mounts on the topside of the unit. This board also has the volume control, and 1/4' output jack. 

After I had remover the Tube holder.

Tube out, 9 pin socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back