The Lambert "Play It By Ear" Headphone Amplifier - (DG Review) + Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #32 of 218
looking fwd to your initial impressions bro!!
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #33 of 218
I haven't plugged it in yet, I'm at work now, but I had to crack open the parcel and have a quick look. Lambert likes to put out a product with nice packaging. Check out the pics

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #35 of 218
An back guys, I've had the Lambert playing for a good half hour so far. These impressions are VERY EARLY so don't hold me to them because I've only thrown one headphone at the Lambert thus far so they're bound to change over the next few days/weeks. I'm driving my K712 Pro with the Lambert right now and I'm liking what I hear. As you guys know the K701/2, and Q701 are natorious for being amp picky. In my experience the K712 can also be just as picky becuase its displayed some of the same annoying traits my Q701 displayed if not paired well albeit it wasn't as annoying as the Q701. The biggest problem with my two AKGs has always been top end glare. Its the main reason why I've been getting so much into tubes the last few months, I find a nice tube can tame the top end glare on the Q701/K712. Put bluntly, the Play It By Ear is an awesome pairing with the K712 because it completely eliminates the annoying glare in the upper mids and highs due to it being so wonderfully smooth and controlled without sacrificing detail. There's a lot more I would like to add but for now I think I'll just hold my tongue until I get a better grasp of this amp.

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #36 of 218
thanks Dubstep Girl
i have seen your name around alot

this was the first time i have read a review by you, very good read i enjoyed it.
for me "fun" is pretty much the most important thing when i listen to music.

nice to see some more fun sounding equipment showing up, shame it doesnt quite have the grunt
for somthing like a lcd2?
thanks again good job :)

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #38 of 218
  An back guys, I've had the Lambert playing for a good half hour so far. These impressions are VERY EARLY so don't hold me to them because I've only thrown one headphone at the Lambert thus far so they're bound to change over the next few days/weeks. I'm driving my K712 Pro with the Lambert right now and I'm liking what I hear. As you guys know the K701/2, and Q701 are natorious for being amp picky. In my experience the K712 can also be just as picky becuase its displayed some of the same annoying traits my Q701 displayed if not paired well albeit it wasn't as annoying as the Q701. The biggest problem with my two AKGs has always been top end glare. Its the main reason why I've been getting so much into tubes the last few months, I find a nice tube can tame the top end glare on the Q701/K712. Put bluntly, the Play It By Ear is an awesome pairing with the K712 because it completely eliminates the annoying glare in the upper mids and highs due to it being so wonderfully smooth and controlled without sacrificing detail. There's a lot more I would like to add but for now I think I'll just hold my tongue until I get a better grasp of this amp.

beerchug.gif

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #43 of 218
Since we're talking headphone pairings, I tried hooking up my HD598s and T50rp Paradox tonight. The Paradox slapped me around and the HD598 kicked my arse with this amp. Hey Dubstep girl, for me this amp packs a pretty hard kick in the bottom end as well as some pretty nifty snap when the drums are hit. Was it the same for you? The 598 which already had some good snap seems to really get agressive, snappy and forward sounding with this amp.

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #44 of 218
  Since we're talking headphone pairings, I tried hooking up my HD598s and T50rp Paradox tonight. The Paradox slapped me around and the HD598 kicked my arse with this amp. Hey Dubstep girl, for me this amp packs a pretty hard kick in the bottom end as well as some pretty nifty snap when the drums are hit. Was it the same for you? The 598 which already had some good snap seems to really get agressive, snappy and forward sounding with this amp.

mhm thats the fun-ness in the amp :)

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #45 of 218
I'm driving my HD650 just by a Maverick Audio D1 plus. I'm wondering if this amp will make the sound even more enjoyable. I actually wanted to buy a tube amp, but turns out the D1 plus only uses the tube for the pre-amp, not for headphones. What do you think? Worth the investment?

Note: the D1 plus has plenty of juice to power the HD650 though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back