The Koss ESP950 thread (ESP owners, please contribute! :)
Jan 3, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #571 of 731
The Teddy Prado power supply looks interesting. On their site they do not say if the 9 volt out is AC or DC. You need DC for the 95X. I have a 9v 2 a power brick inbound. I will report on that when I get it.

Drop jacked the ESP 95X price back up to $500. Still a bargain but I am happy that I got in at $400!

An exceptional bargain at either price!

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #572 of 731
So detail/resolution, how does this compare to say the Hifiman Edition XX, Focal Elex, Hifiman 400i or Sundara, etc.?

At 400$, even more interesting, but add shipping, convert to canadian $, add the ~15% tax, brokerage fees, etc., you're likely around 666$CDN ~ $500 USD... The Hifiman Edition XX is 500 now, down from 600.

Listening to metal571's review on utub: "It's laid back, but a little bit hazy, little bit grainy, more so than the price would suggest.". I'm still somewhat hung up on trying to find a great all-rounder which would tick every box, albeit not being top in everything, and when I hear things like: "it doesn't have the best dynamics. If it's something you don't mind, the detail is very good for the price", I'm wondering how great these are 'overall'... He does say at the end that it is a great value (for $500 at the time), but in the comments, commenting on how great M's Black album would be: "It does with these mids but the bass is pretty weak for that sort of thing"... That just seems like a serious flaw; one which would probably cross them off the list of great at 'everything' list... (like out of 10, I'd rather have an 8 everywhere, rather than a 9 for detail and a 5 or 6 for dynamics/bass...)

And again looking in the rank the headphones you own; these seem very close to the Elex (as in; rank consistently lower than HD820 for instance, but vs Elex, almost 50/50 which is ranked higher), and by extension I'd guess Edition XX also... And from the above; even though it's an electrostatic, it doesn't seem to be a detail/resolution monster like you'd think an electrostatic should be vs similarly priced dynamic or planar headphones... :\
The mids were on the grainier side, not the treble. I think I said that, but I forget. The treble air above 10k was shelved down a bit too but that has nothing to do with grain. Overall I think they fit well into the price range, technicality wise. But because the bass is shelved down from flat-line neutral (clearly visible on the raw FR Drop provides) as it transitions into the sub bass and is lacking slam, both of which are similar technical problems as other estats, it's just a thin sounding can to me. And I wouldn't use it without EQing the annoying common 1.5k stat peak it has, either. At least it's not an L700 at 1.5k. Sheesh. Shout city

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #574 of 731
I purchased the Teddy Pardo 9 Volt 2 Amp linear power supply. If you order, make sure to specify the 2.5mm tip.

Jan 11, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #575 of 731
The Teddy Prado power supply looks interesting. On their site they do not say if the 9 volt out is AC or DC. You need DC for the 95X. I have a 9v 2 a power brick inbound. I will report on that when I get it.

Drop jacked the ESP 95X price back up to $500. Still a bargain but I am happy that I got in at $400!

I have 95x nib at the old price that I will sell. If you know someone who missed the $400 price, PM me.

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #576 of 731
Feb 9, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #577 of 731
I am using these for the first time in weeks. They sound so great (with my Loki)!

They really are different from anything else I own. So full and detailed. Not great for old, Classic rock, but I do not listen to that much. Every so often i get nostalgic, but the vast majority of my listening is new/newish music with the exceptions being jazz.

A really sweet pair of 'phones. :)

Feb 12, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #578 of 731
Thought I'd put this here too:
Was hoping someone here would be able to help me since Koss hasn't. So I purchased an ESP95X and was planning to swap out the stock power supply for a 9V 2A iFi iPower (which I notice a number of people on this thread have been successful with), however whenever I try to do so I get nothing. Just an occasional red blink from the power indicator. I've measured the iPower which is outputting a comfortable ~9.2V, whereas the stock power supply which comes with the unit is outputting over 13V. Was wondering whether anyone else has experienced this?

Also whenever there is excessive bass on a track there is what I can only describe as a 'rustling' sound. I experienced this in the left channel of my first pair so Drop provided me with a replacement, however the new pair has the same problem in both channels! I've only managed to find one other account of this online - is there anyone else out there with the same? Note this is separate to the issue of the energiser humming/squeeling, which seems to be par for the course.

Feb 12, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #579 of 731
Thought I'd put this here too:
Was hoping someone here would be able to help me since Koss hasn't. So I purchased an ESP95X and was planning to swap out the stock power supply for a 9V 2A iFi iPower (which I notice a number of people on this thread have been successful with), however whenever I try to do so I get nothing. Just an occasional red blink from the power indicator. I've measured the iPower which is outputting a comfortable ~9.2V, whereas the stock power supply which comes with the unit is outputting over 13V. Was wondering whether anyone else has experienced this?

Also whenever there is excessive bass on a track there is what I can only describe as a 'rustling' sound. I experienced this in the left channel of my first pair so Drop provided me with a replacement, however the new pair has the same problem in both channels! I've only managed to find one other account of this online - is there anyone else out there with the same? Note this is separate to the issue of the energiser humming/squeeling, which seems to be par for the course.

I am using the iFi power supply on my set with no issues, just make sure you are using the right adapter (I'm not 100% of the size, but only one will fit properly).

As for the rustling sound, I haven't played really bassy music through them, but I did hear a few "flapping" noises when they were first breaking in. After a few hours or so it seemed to have settled.

Feb 12, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #580 of 731
I am using the iFi power supply on my set with no issues, just make sure you are using the right adapter (I'm not 100% of the size, but only one will fit properly).

As for the rustling sound, I haven't played really bassy music through them, but I did hear a few "flapping" noises when they were first breaking in. After a few hours or so it seemed to have settled.

Thanks for getting back to me - I've been using the correct adapter, but I'm having no luck unfortuantely.

As for the other issue perhaps I'll wait it out if it seemed to resolve itself for you.

Feb 28, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #581 of 731
These are back on sale again on MassDrop.

Feb 29, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #582 of 731
The Vesper pads you guys use are full-leather and angled? Im interested in seeing photos of them installed. Vesper Audio will also make them custom to order. Any other materials like lambskin worth trying? How about hybrid with comfy velour on face-side and interior? And did the vesper 95X pads increase in price?

Dekoni sells a 95X pad with frequency response measurements. Im trying to imagine the graphs with compensation curve and it doesnt seem like an improvement. Id rather try Vesper.
https://dekoniaudio.com/drop-x-koss-esp-95x-measurements/

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #583 of 731
Vesper also do recabling.. thinking of sending them my grados and DT880 for a recable / detachable cable mod when I order some 95X pads..

Mar 1, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #584 of 731
I rejoined the 95X family after a brief departure. Stax are good but the 950/95X hits a real sweet spot for my ears. I will soon have a Stax to Koss cable so that I can see what a Stax energizer (353X) does to improve the sound.

I cannot speak to the Vesper question, but the Dekoni pads are keepers for me. Better bass extension and comfort and they do not diminish the estat sparkle imo.

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #585 of 731
About a 1/4 turn clockwise on the Loki treble knob brings 95X out of the sleepy fog. Bass knob adjustment didnt really help at all. 95X and electrostats just have a softer bass. Some application of all 4 tone knobs together would get better results but that sounds like a lot of trial and error and at the moment Im fine. Vesper pads I dont imagine would help bring 95X the dynamic bass of even a modest planar like the 4XX so for now Im happy with Loki and stock comfy velour pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back