The Korean Thread!
Oct 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #46 of 238
  ah yes that I am very well aware of how it happens, I was actually thinking more of the Koreanized stuff. like, not the cheap 'watered down' versions but actually modern tasty stuff. :p
are you familiar with chef David Chang, for example? he made Korean food but more modern and more fitting to the american palate, and it's really really good and inspiring.
there are some places in Japan doing French-inspired food (technique wise and such) but using Japanese ingredients.
currently, I'm sort of under the impression there is not even 'modern' Korean food over in Korea! 
redface.gif
 like what these hip cool chef guys are doing all over North America and Europe.

never heard of those phones, that's cool. not sure I like them though, I was just sort of being optimistic about maybe finding a neat phone as I am looking to get a new one soon.
but I really have a hard time liking the Android OS and most phones are just huge. only two companies seem to make Windows Phone 8 phones that don't suck as well...
so I will have to keep looking, was just doing a hopeful shot in the dark seeing if something might surprise me. got too many criteria for what I want it seems. 
biggrin.gif

though if anyone else knows, no korean phones come with physical keyboards?

did not know that the Korean version had a different CPU either. is it faster or just more cores? still pretty impressive.

thanks!

First off, there's a lot of good food here it's just too pricey for me to go eat hehe. But yeah I would say Korea is more of a traditional food type of place.

If you have a trouble with Android, your only option is iOS. Windows never made it here and Blackberry just died after Android became such a hit here. For many Koreans, it's all about the screen size if they're not Apple fans. They don't have a problem with huge because they usually don't put it in their pockets (unless back pocket) they just hold it in their hands or put it in their purse (yes even some Korean men carry purses). Take the subway and you will know what I mean lol. There are some older phones with a physical keyboard but these days nobody seems to like em here. I haven't seen one in over a year.

According to reviews and benchmarks, the S4 with the octacore (exynos 5 octa) does seem to outperform the quadcore (snapdragon 600) but by a subtle difference. They both have excellent performance. Exynos has more cores with a slightly lower clock speed while Snapdragon has a fewer cores with a slightly higher clock speed. I guess it really comes down to personal preference but the facts are performance benchmarks score the Exynos just a bit higher than the Snapdragon.

After almost a decade of living in Korea, it seems to me people would rather follow the 'fad' and whatever is 'popular' rather than compare specs and value etc. Well, I know that's generally the case anywhere you go but Koreans almost look down on uniqueness. Like it's embarrassing/negative thing to stand out and pretend you're special as it comes across as being arrogant and egotistic. I am Korean American and have been living here for quite some time but I still have trouble understanding a lot of the culture. If you have any more questions concerning food or culture or anything else about Korea, don't hesitate to ask :)

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #49 of 238
right, that's a bit surprising, with Korea seeming so modern to me 
tongue.gif
 a lot of interesting food science coming from over there as well.

I do like iOS a lot but I am not sure I want to pay $800 for a phone right now. I don't do contract as I don't really use my phone a lot, only browsing the internet on WiFi and texting.
even went out to look and see what phones are out here, and they're all gigantic! while I don't actually put it in my pocket either, I don't like holding these massive 4"+ screen phones in my hand. and I don't even have small hands!

the new Blackberry Q10 does look great, has a physical keyboard and all, but again around $800 here.
Q5 just seemed a bit plasticky and a bit slow, and well... would need more time with Blackberry OS as well.

I wonder if there are any actual benefits to eight cores on a smartphone though...
biggrin.gif
 sounds really cool and all but I wonder why they decided on that. 

that almost sounds like Sweden (where I'm from) in some regards. everyone strives to fit in. trends are definitely followed by most people.
this is very interesting to me, korea is sort of a big unknown. to be honest, most I know about it is the food since I really enjoy cooking. and Starcraft...

thanks, again! 
smile.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #50 of 238
  right, that's a bit surprising, with Korea seeming so modern to me 
tongue.gif
 a lot of interesting food science coming from over there as well.

I do like iOS a lot but I am not sure I want to pay $800 for a phone right now. I don't do contract as I don't really use my phone a lot, only browsing the internet on WiFi and texting.
even went out to look and see what phones are out here, and they're all gigantic! while I don't actually put it in my pocket either, I don't like holding these massive 4"+ screen phones in my hand. and I don't even have small hands!

the new Blackberry Q10 does look great, has a physical keyboard and all, but again around $800 here.
Q5 just seemed a bit plasticky and a bit slow, and well... would need more time with Blackberry OS as well.

I wonder if there are any actual benefits to eight cores on a smartphone though...
biggrin.gif
 sounds really cool and all but I wonder why they decided on that. 

that almost sounds like Sweden (where I'm from) in some regards. everyone strives to fit in. trends are definitely followed by most people.
this is very interesting to me, korea is sort of a big unknown. to be honest, most I know about it is the food since I really enjoy cooking. and Starcraft...

thanks, again! 
smile.gif

Lol. I still can't believe I have a $800 phone with me! They do cost a lot. Pricing in Korea is just a bit out of place.

Korea is a very interesting country with complex history. Even now, structure of Korea is interesting, even for a Korean student studying in US. Unique culture but with unique problems as well.

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #51 of 238
yeah, every place has its own share of problems and perks it seems. of course all different grades! Korea still seems to be a rising force economically, not sure what it actually means though. 
biggrin.gif

heard there's a new Nexus coming out soon... despite not being too used to Android. I suspect I can make it work with how little I use the phone somehow. it is just such an attractive option...

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #52 of 238
Just went into the fridge to find some kimbap until I realize I didn't have any left.

I also started making seolleongtang on the regular a few months back - good stuff, especially considering the weather nowadays. Some Gopchang jeongol hits the spot as well. 

Actually hankering for some jeon (pancakes now). Cranking out the mix...

That's it for me on the food front, back to your regularly scheduled thigh-scraping phone talk.

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #53 of 238
  Just went into the fridge to find some kimbap until I realize I didn't have any left.

I also started making seolleongtang on the regular a few months back - good stuff, especially considering the weather nowadays. Some Gopchang jeongol hits the spot as well. 

Actually hankering for some jeon (pancakes now). Cranking out the mix...

That's it for me on the food front, back to your regularly scheduled thigh-scraping phone talk.

Lol. That's some serious Korean food!

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #54 of 238
Wish I'd seen this thread earlier... Subscribed for the next time I go to Seoul. Was looking for some good audio shops but ended up not having as much time free as I had hoped.

The Kyobo in Gangnam had Final Audio IEMs when I was there last year...

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #55 of 238

Lol. That's some serious Korean food!

hah yeah, haven't had those dishes with the exception for the pancakes! sounds delicious though. 
wink.gif

I am making bulgogi jungol (I think this is how it's spelled?), marinading the meat atm.
and dorajimuchim to go with it, love those root things!

what kind of street food is popular in Korea? I read something about chicken anuses but haven't been able to find that around here! 
tongue.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #56 of 238

hah yeah, haven't had those dishes with the exception for the pancakes! sounds delicious though. 
wink.gif

I am making bulgogi jungol (I think this is how it's spelled?), marinading the meat atm.
and dorajimuchim to go with it, love those root things!

what kind of street food is popular in Korea? I read something about chicken anuses but haven't been able to find that around here! 
tongue.gif

OMG. You are making me jealous. You are in Toronto, right?

For street food, try tukbokgi(IDK how to spell them in English). It's rice and fish cake in spicy sauce. Also, try some fish cake. They are very good. My favorite is chicken though(though they aren't street food, they are very popular in Korea).

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #57 of 238
I'm in Montréal, close! I think there are a few Korean places around here that look good, just didn't know much about Korean food until I went travelling.
I saw those in a store last night actually! but no fish from what I can tell... or meat at all. but they looked pretty good!
chicken as in chicken cake? never seen those, sounds intriguing. are they like the seafood pancakes or totally different?

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #58 of 238
Oct 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #59 of 238
Some sondae (blood sausage) usually kicks the spot while walking around town.

Right now - I'd really want to try some agujjim but that's pretty out of reach. And some shrimp bokkeum (stir-fry).

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #60 of 238
ohh yes I had that sondae thing when I was in NYC and went to Korea"town". it's eerily similar to a Swedish traditional blood pudding! except it was served with some spicy salt to dip in.
I think we just turned this into the Korean food thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back