The Korean Thread!
Sep 12, 2013 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 238

kimvictor

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all! I'm just starting this thread cause I just want to know how many head-fiers are from Korea, and talk about Korean culture(relating to music/tech/audio).

Obviously, you don't have to be Korean to follow this thread.

Anyways, list of members that's in Korea or visits Korea frequently(a possibility for a hf meet in Korea?)
kimvictor(Myself)
Omshallom
jonyoo

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 238
Anyways, I'm just going to introduce some artist from Korea. Feel free to add to the list or talk about what ever you like.

My personal favorite artists:
Younha(윤하): She sings lots of genres. She started in Japan, and moved to Korea numbers of years ago. She sings all sorts of songs including alternative, acoustic, pop, rock, and vocal heavy music. She has very energetic and cool voice.

Lena Park(박정현): Hell of a skilled singer. She has such fine control in her voice. Anyways, she sings acoustic and ballad music. She also has a unique voice like Younha.

Lyn: Another female singer. She also has very good skill and unique voice.

So by now, you can probably guess I'm a fan of female vocal. Feel free to contribute! I'll try to update the list of artist constantly.

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 238
List of stores in Korea for audiophiles! And my impression on few of them.

Schezde. Located in Cheongdam dong, Gangnam. It is very close to my house, so I walk down there few times every month when I'm home. Premium store with very nice interior and wide range of iems/hps. It is also quite in there and the staffs are trained(at least better than other stores I've visited. they know some audiophile stuff). I liked TH600 and HD800 from their store. They also have a high end speaker section, so it's definitely worth checking out.
http://www.schezade.co.kr/

Earphoneshop. Located in Haehwa. Probably most famous store in Korea, but I prefer schezade for full size hps. Earphone shop has lots of iems, as the name suggests. They even have a Rooth booth, so you can demo customs too. Not too many high end hps, but they do have some. Ran by EXS, and if you are looking for an Korean iem, you are likely to find them here. I bought my H-200 here for a good price. It doesn't feel as luxurious as Schezde, but if you are looking for mid-high range iems, this is a good place to start. I liked K3003i the most in the store. They also have hifi man orthos unlike schezde.
http://earphoneshop.co.kr/

Sony IEM Store: Was located in Coex, It had lots of iems, but closed for renovation.

Sony Store Coex: Although the iem store closed in coex, I think the "official" Sony store is open. It's located on the ground floor of Coex. They have all of their full size flagships, but don't have EX1000 and MDR7550. MA900 and PHA-1 was my favorite. They also sell camera equipment, audio recorder(pro), and computers.

a# Coex: a# is a name for apple retail stores in Korea. All a# has pretty good line of hps and iems. a# in Coex even has SE535 and high end FAD iems.

Kukje Midi: IDK much about the stores. I've heard people saying that they are a good store. They import lots of international gears.

Headphoneshop: A store near Ipark mall in Yongsan.

Technomart! This is old shopping mall built for technology stuff. Although half of the building is empty, they had few good stores in them last time I visited(about a month ago). You can also bargain the price a bit and get some custom made stuff there. Interesting place. Go quickly as the mall is starting to fall apart.

Tell me if you know of more stores in Korea.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 238
  Sony Store Coex: Although the iem store closed in coex, I think the "official" Sony store is open. It's located on the ground floor of Coex. They have all of their full size flagships, but don't have EX1000 and MDR7550. MA900 and PHA-1 was my favorite. They also sell camera equipment, audio recorder(pro), and computers.

Tell me if you know of more stores in Korea.

There is a store near the Sony store in Coex called a# (or something like that, Korean equivalent of the Apple Store) that had quite a few headphone demos out out as well.

Many of the Kyobo Bookstores around the city have a good amount of headphone demos too, I recall the one at Kyobo Tower in Gangnam even had a few fullsize Beyers and AT's out for demo.

There is also a place called Kukje Midi in Yongsan in the Seon-In plaza, but it's kind of hard to find since the building is like a Maze... and there's also a place called Headphoneshop in the IPark Mall building besides the Yongsan Station.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 238
  Reserved for Korean brands.

Currently including:
T PEOS
EXS
Cresyn
Samsung
Cowon
Iriver
Audinist
LG

Feel free to add to the list.

There's Phiaton as well, which is sort of a luxury brand line of Cresyn.

And don't forget April Music (of the Stello/Eximus line of fame)!

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 238

There is a store near the Sony store in Coex called a# (or something like that, Korean equivalent of the Apple Store) that had quite a few headphone demos out out as well.

Many of the Kyobo Bookstores around the city have a good amount of headphone demos too, I recall the one at Kyobo Tower in Gangnam even had a few fullsize Beyers and AT's out for demo.

There is also a place called Kukje Midi in Yongsan in the Seon-In plaza, but it's kind of hard to find since the building is like a Maze... and there's also a place called Headphoneshop in the IPark Mall building besides the Yongsan Station.

Wow you know a lot of store. I guess I should try to give them all a visit. I've visted the a# and kyobo bookstores, but not that Kukje midi and headphoneshop(though I've heard of them both).

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 238
  Hey all, 

+1 living in Korea. 

I will definitely have to check out Schezde.

Contemplating whether to fix my Earsonics SM3 V1, or get a new pair of iems.

Yeah. Be sure to visit the store during the day, as it is generally the quite hours. But the overall interiors and environment of Schezde is really good. You get the premium feel. The prices generally are MSRP, but you can sometimes snatch IEMs for good prices there. Oh, don't forget to bring an amp/source btw.

IDK how good SM3 V1 is, but demo other iems than decide.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #13 of 238
Word up! A Korean thread ㅋㅋ! Thx kimvictor for making this one :)

I've noticed that some Kyobo Book stores had a good selection of IEMs to try out (not sure if this is the same thing that kimvictor was talking about). That's where I first tried out the T-Peos IEMs which I got not too long ago. Other Kyobo book stores may have a wider IEM and headphone selection than others though. The biggest Kyobo book store in KwangHwaMun (광화문) unfortunately doesn't have as much. I was in Busan about a month ago and the Kyobo Book store there had a good selection. But then again they don't compare anything close to what earphoneshop has to offer. The Kyobo book store selection was similar to the one at the Sony store in COEX in terms of the range of selection and size.

Then there's Frisbee stores all over big cities in Korea. They mostly have only mainstream stuff though eg. UE, Beats, Marley, Soul etc which I'm not too fond of lol except for some UE.

And I just want to share that I am an addict of Nell. Just feel his passion through his lyrics, instrumentals, and chord progressions. Not the best singer with the best tone but it really fits his music well and just can not go a week without a couple hours of his music. Especially, his 3rd (Healing Process) and 4th album (Separation Anxiety).

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 238
eek.gif

Everyone knows that Reflections of and Speechless competely destroy the new stuff (okay, will be fair - Healing Process is worth the hype).

The only new tracks I dug as much as their old duo was In Days Gone By and Slipping in the Rain off of Slip Away. I don't know what the heck is with the new EP.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 238

eek.gif

Everyone knows that Reflections of and Speechless competely destroy the new stuff (okay, will be fair - Healing Process is worth the hype).

The only new tracks I dug as much as their old duo was In Days Gone By and Slipping in the Rain off of Slip Away. I don't know what the heck is with the new EP.

I'll be sure to give those a listen. I don't have those albums TT
Other than those two albums I mentioned, I have Let it Rain, Let's Take a Walk, and 멀어지다.
Yeah, donno the deal with their more recent stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back