The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
Jan 16, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #301 of 1,066
  How are these with comfort, out of the box? Looking for headphones I can use for, well basically everything. =D Never owned any headphones that needed burning in, seeing as I've always got the cheap ones. =P Would be powering these with my PC, no amp or anything of the sort. I could do pink noise at night.

The clamping force is a bit too strong for my liking, but, thankfully, they don't hurt my ears much. I haven't worn them for very long though.

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #302 of 1,066

I just received my HA-S680s.

First impression: they're a muffled, overly-bassy mess. And wow—can they ever go loud!

Don't worry: I'm sensible enough to not already conclude that they're crap. I'll start burning them in right away and, when done that, I'll give them quite a bit of listening time.

Completely agreed. Out of the box they sound terrible, like something you would get for $5 from a petrol station.

Beyond terrible. They sounded like a $5 headphone; not a $70 one. I've owned stock earbuds that sounded almost as good as the HA-S680s sounded upon listening to them for the first time. When I first put them on it was almost laughable how bad they sounded. I thought "BenF must be trolling us!"
tongue_smile.gif

Fortunately, after just a few hours of burn-in time they've improved (admittedly a bit, but I don't expect drastic improvements yet).

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #303 of 1,066

Beyond terrible. They sounded like a $5 headphone; not a $70 one. I've owned stock earbuds that sounded almost as good as the HA-S680s sounded upon listening to them for the first time. When I first put them on it was almost laughable how bad they sounded. I thought "BenF must be trolling us!"
tongue_smile.gif

Fortunately, after just a few hours of burn-in time they've improved (admittedly a bit, but I don't expect drastic improvements yet).

The Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde headphone. Let us know when Dr. Jekyll makes his appearance.
popcorn.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #306 of 1,066
  How are these with comfort, out of the box? Looking for headphones I can use for, well basically everything. =D Never owned any headphones that needed burning in, seeing as I've always got the cheap ones. =P Would be powering these with my PC, no amp or anything of the sort. I could do pink noise at night.

The comfort is pretty great, the pads are quite big for an on-ear.
If you won't invest even 50$ for something like the Hifimediy Sabre DAC, maybe you should skip these.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #310 of 1,066
  If I remember correctly, been awhile since I built my PC, the Motherboard is a Gigabyte, so probably has some type of Realtec on/in it or something.

S680 really thrives on detail and imaging that a normal sound card usually fails to provide.
Power is not the issue here, the D/A conversion is.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #312 of 1,066
A few notes about these 'phones:

1. The box they come in is tiny. When I saw how small the box was, my first thought was "they must've sent the wrong headphone." They're able to fit in such a small box since they're foldable--something I'd forgotten.
2. They have an angled plug.
3. The cable on these is thick and of high-quality.
4. The clamping force is strong. I personally wish it was a little less strong.
5. The driver grills / covers--whatever you wanna call them--are angled; this surprised me. I don't believe I've seen any mention of this anywhere.
6. Though at this point I don't care for the sound of these 'phones, they have a great, almost 3D, soundstage and already manage to work decently with games and mono recordings. Mono recordings sound like they're being played through speakers.
7. So far the CAL! is better than the HA-S680 when it comes to everything but soundstage: lows, mids and highs are simply better and more natural-sounding with the CAL! Right now the HA-S680s don't even sound half as good as the CAL!

My main problem with the HA-S680 right now: the bass. It's way too overpowering. Some genres suffer from it.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #314 of 1,066
  A few notes about these 'phones:

1. The box they come in is tiny. When I saw how small the box was, my first thought was "they must've sent the wrong headphone." They're able to fit in such a small box since they're foldable--something I'd forgotten.
2. They have an angled plug.
3. The cable on these is thick and of high-quality.
4. The clamping force is strong. I personally wish it was a little less strong.
5. The driver grills / covers--whatever you wanna call them--are angled; this surprised me. I don't believe I've seen any mention of this anywhere.
6. Though at this point I don't care for the sound of these 'phones, they have a great, almost 3D, soundstage and already manage to work decently with games and mono recordings. Mono recordings sound like they're being played through speakers.
7. So far the CAL! is better than the HA-S680 when it comes to everything but soundstage: lows, mids and highs and simply better and more natural-sounding with the CAL! Right now the HA-S680s don't even sound half as good as the CAL!

My main problem with the HA-S680 right now: the bass. It's way too overpowering. Some genres suffer from it.

I agree with you on your impressions.  That's similar to what I expressed in my earlier post.  I should have looked more carefully at the box before buying it.  It does say "Extra Bass" on the front.  I'm not not liking the extra bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back