Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here! - Page 15

post #211 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgordon View Post

so i completed the 48 hour burn in and then left them for another 12 overnight and just gave a quick listen and really like them, the sounds are clear and perhaps a little too clear can hear like a rasping echo on strings and sometime an echo on some vocals this maybe just me not being used too them and like ben said letting my brain burn in. only thing i need now is a case.

Overall extremely pleased, makes me wonder if these are that good what would a 1, 2 or 3 hundred pound set be like.

 

This post alone should make anyone consider clicking the Buy button.

post #212 of 734

Does someone know if they are better than Sennheiser HD 449 and Beyerdynamics dtx501p, which I now have? If its resounding yes, I am tempted

post #213 of 734

Just ordered a pair of these. I managed to break both my PortaPro and my S500 over the holidays and hope these are a good replacement..

post #214 of 734

I'm gonna pull the trigger on these tomorrow.

 

Just one question: has anyone here bought these from Kakaku and received them? I ask because they seem to be cheaper there than anywhere else. Did the person who got stung with charges buy them from there?

post #215 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillas View Post

I'm gonna pull the trigger on these tomorrow.

Just one question: has anyone here bought these from Kakaku and received them? I ask because they seem to be cheaper there than anywhere else. Did the person who got stung with charges buy them from there?

Yep both me and michaelgordon ordered from them and both received fine, mine came within a week from dispatch.

I got stung with customs charge and he didin't, so I guess it's the luck of the draw.
post #216 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted Andreas View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillas View Post

I'm gonna pull the trigger on these tomorrow.

Just one question: has anyone here bought these from Kakaku and received them? I ask because they seem to be cheaper there than anywhere else. Did the person who got stung with charges buy them from there?

Yep both me and michaelgordon ordered from them and both received fine, mine came within a week from dispatch.

I got stung with customs charge and he didin't, so I guess it's the luck of the draw.

 

Thanks. I guess I'll take a chance with Kakaku.

 

It looks like the HA-S680 cost only about $40 USD in Japan! With shipping and taxes the price goes up to about $70.

post #217 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillas View Post

Thanks. I guess I'll take a chance with Kakaku.

It looks like the HA-S680 cost only about $40 USD in Japan! With shipping and taxes the price goes up to about $70.

That sounds about right. They are pretty much same price as the S500 at launch, but they clearly are a direct upgrade.

Btw when I said a week I meant from the time that SmartBuyJapan sends them out. It takes 2-3 working days for them to arrive from Kakaku though.
post #218 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillas View Post
 

 

Thanks. I guess I'll take a chance with Kakaku.

 

It looks like the HA-S680 cost only about $40 USD in Japan! With shipping and taxes the price goes up to about $70.

 

I think I bought in Japan S500 at about 2900 yen and S680 was 4640 yen (but I didn't know then the model, so I bought Beyerdynamics DTX501p instead :)).

 

 So clearly it is upgrade. With transportation costs and taxes, I guess it will lean towards 60-70 dollars. 


Edited by StoneJack - 1/2/14 at 10:03pm
post #219 of 734

i just had an extended listening session tonight with the 680's. I have about 50-60 of high volume burn in and 20 hrs of listening. Yes, the boominess is gone. I knew it would go away after owning several JVC nano's. To those that are worried about the bass don't be. These are lush, warm and enveloping. Much better than my S400. I would certainly say in a different league. The only ones that wont like these are the guys and gals that like crisp detailed highs. These are definitely on the warm side. The 3D sound, wide sound stage and warmth is very nice.

 

These are a keeper.

post #220 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painful Chafe View Post
 

i just had an extended listening session tonight with the 680's. I have about 50-60 of high volume burn in and 20 hrs of listening. Yes, the boominess is gone. I knew it would go away after owning several JVC nano's. To those that are worried about the bass don't be. These are lush, warm and enveloping. Much better than my S400. I would certainly say in a different league. The only ones that wont like these are the guys and gals that like crisp detailed highs. These are definitely on the warm side. The 3D sound, wide sound stage and warmth is very nice.

 

These are a keeper.

 

Definitely a keeper!

 

I've burned in mine for about 15 hours, the rest has been spent listening. So about 30 hours in total they've been on the go now, the sound is beginning to open up... but the mids are still veiled and bass bit boomy. Will keep you updated!

post #221 of 734

Is the sound signature of these 'phones similar to that of any other 'phone you guys have heard? Or are these rather unique-sounding and incomparable?

post #222 of 734
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted Andreas View Post
 

 

Definitely a keeper!

 

I've burned in mine for about 15 hours, the rest has been spent listening. So about 30 hours in total they've been on the go now, the sound is beginning to open up... but the mids are still veiled and bass bit boomy. Will keep you updated!


If you'll keep interrupting the burn-in with long listening sessions, it will take a lot longer to flex the driver. Listening to music at non-deafening levels won't do much.

post #223 of 734
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillas View Post
 

Is the sound signature of these 'phones similar to that of any other 'phone you guys have heard? Or are these rather unique-sounding and incomparable?

 

It is a combination of HA-S400's balance and HA-S500's fun plus much wider soundstage.

Also reminds HE-400 a litlle bit, but without the spike in treble.

post #224 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF View Post
 


If you'll keep interrupting the burn-in with long listening sessions, it will take a lot longer to flex the driver. Listening to music at non-deafening levels won't do much.

 

I know that dude.

 

Cant just sit by and not have these on my head.

 

EDIT: Btw, I love playing Battlefield 4 with these on, I use the surround sound setting in the options and its really engaging with the S680!


Edited by Lifted Andreas - 1/3/14 at 8:02am
post #225 of 734

I had (gave it to brother) HA-S400, but they had several drawbacks - too narrow scene (or maybe not enough clear sound, can't tell even when listening to it right now) and uncomfortable, even with Sennheiser velour pads. Sound was ok, I enjoyed it, but it was nothing special.

After I gave it to brother I bought Audio Technica ATH-SJ55, which are in my opinion superior to JVC as they don't have these irritating drawbacks. SQ is fine, better than S400, but there is something like echo when bass is missing (I listen to electronic dance music, so it's not huge problem).

 

Now, is it worth to jump over to S680 from ATH-SJ55? My player is Cowon J3, I hate too much bass (when it so strong that sound is becoming "muddy", otherwise I can use EQ), but I enjoy if bass punches when it's supposed to.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!