The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 19, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #7,546 of 8,352
  Just a quick update on my S500. I ordered 50 foot of the 26 awg 7n cryo treated upocc silver+copper cable but after making a cable for my DT250 and my Yamaha PRO400 I don't have enough for the S500 so I decided to use my old canare star-quad cable instead.

I also made a bass port or vent or whatever you want to call it. It's works kinda like the vents on the V-Moda.
This took a very long time (two days). This was a difficult mod and required lot of patience.  

Here's an example of where I drilled the hole for vents. I had to make a little mod to the second set of rings.
*This is not a picture my headphone. I'm just using it to show where the vents are.

This was a fun and tiring project, but I'm pretty happy with the result. I can't give an accurate description of the sound until I have more time with it, but after only 6 hours it's pretty damn good (placebo maybe?). The cosmetic mods gave my S500 a little more swag, the canare cable help clean up the sound a little bit and the bass port gave it bigger bass and improved soundstage and imaging.
For now I'm done with my S500, I still have to finish my DT250 cable and a low profile left exit lod for my sansa fuze so the S500 will have to wait. I would like to sleeve the canare cable and I forgot to install the cap for the Y splitter thingy but those are just little things that won't bother me much.

I will write a tutorial on some of these mods when I have some time. I have to do a tear down so I can take some pictures.

White works so well, at least in the pictures

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #7,547 of 8,352
  No, neutral doesn't mean cheap, but the S400s sound like they cost under $50. It's like you can hear the price range because of its limits, I don't have that problem with the S500s.

Yeah I've really only noticed more bass from my S500's over the 400's. For having a bigger driver my ears can't really detect much other difference that favors the 500's. My son says he can, but he listens to far more EDM and dubstep than I ever will. My listening usually runs to acoustic/unplugged and blues/rock. Seem to be able to hear the nuances of acoustic instruments just a tad better on my S400's. YMMV

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #7,548 of 8,352
  Really? I had some and I didn't think they were nearly as nice, except in comfort where they were better.

In comfort they were so much better I thought. Using the S500s out of the C&C though was a whole different ball game. But a minimal approach I kinda preferred the Downtowns

Heard that the S500s sound better AND are more comfortable with the Sennheiser Velour Pads. Also marko, what does "C&C" mean?

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #7,550 of 8,352
Oct 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #7,551 of 8,352
I prefer the sound of the S500's, but I just listened to the S400's again while taking pictures to sell them both, and I can see why some people might like them better. They both sound great in their own ways. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #7,552 of 8,352
Oct 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #7,556 of 8,352
Alright. I was looking to buy some better headphones than koss porta pro. I came across this H Y P E D thread. It took me 3 days to convince self to buy this.

Do they sell fake HAS 500?

Back on the topic. My impressions are

1/ Super tight bass, for the first time ever I think i Could tell which drum is hitting, or it is electric bass. This brought my enjoyment of Bass to another level
2/ Mids are forward, and separation is excellent. Little details I never knew were there. These surface out!
3/ Sounds stage, it is not too wide, but I guess it is adequate for how much sounds it brings out from Mids and Lows
4/ Highs, another level of highs. Similar to Lows, I now can tell the different between highs being hits. Seems like I can hear the differences too. I am not able to tell all of them, but they are all present and clear, crystal clear, but not ear piercingly clear.

5/ very easy to drive. I get loud music from all of my android phones. Especially from xperia Z1

Conclusion, I paid 75 for this pair I could not wait for shipping. It is well worth it. I thank to you all, and I love this headset. The most true sound I ever heard, or Neutral as you call it. The sounds are so close to the real instruments being played.
Cheap and sounds much more expensive than its price.

This is open box review. I am not audiophile. I dont have enough knowledge about sounds and audio. I am a music lover, and enjoy musics. The more real and the more forward with details are best to sum this cans up.

Try this song to see
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vnQPaayFvFI

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #7,557 of 8,352
Alright. I was looking to buy some better headphones than koss porta pro. I came across this H Y P E D thread. It took me 3 days to convince self to buy this.

Do they sell fake HAS 500?

Back on the topic. My impressions are

1/ Super tight bass, for the first time ever I think i Could tell which drum is hitting, or it is electric bass. This brought my enjoyment of Bass to another level
2/ Mids are forward, and separation is excellent. Little details I never knew were there. These surface out!
3/ Sounds stage, it is not too wide, but I guess it is adequate for how much sounds it brings out from Mids and Lows
4/ Highs, another level of highs. Similar to Lows, I now can tell the different between highs being hits. Seems like I can hear the differences too. I am not able to tell all of them, but they are all present and clear, crystal clear, but not ear piercingly clear.

5/ very easy to drive. I get loud music from all of my android phones. Especially from xperia Z1

Conclusion, I paid 75 for this pair I could not wait for shipping. It is well worth it. I thank to you all, and I love this headset. The most true sound I ever heard, or Neutral as you call it. The sounds are so close to the real instruments being played.
Cheap and sounds much more expensive than its price.

This is open box review. I am not audiophile. I dont have enough knowledge about sounds and audio. I am a music lover, and enjoy musics. The more real and the more forward with details are best to sum this cans up.

Good to see you're enjoying them :beerchug:

+1

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #7,558 of 8,352
Good to see you're enjoying them
beerchug.gif

+1

Oh. What's the best earpads in terms of both sound quality and comfort?

Yup, stock pads seem to be the best for most sq wise. 

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #7,560 of 8,352
Do the kramer mods on the portapro/sportapro divers and slap them on a parts express headband (less clamping force), and they sound rather awesome imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back