The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 7, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #7,382 of 8,352

How good is the noise isolation of HA-S500? I need a pair of headphones mostly for travelling in bus and metro. I'll be listening to pop, rap, electro, acoustic, classical and sometimes, alternate rock. Also, I will listen a lot of audiobooks and Podcasts.

How is HA-S500 when compared to Philips Citiscape Downtown or Creative Aurvana Live! ? 

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #7,383 of 8,352

[COLOR=000000]How good is the noise isolation of HA-S500? I need a pair of headphones mostly for travelling in bus and metro. I'll be listening to pop, rap, electro, acoustic, classical and sometimes, alternate rock. Also, I will listen a lot of audiobooks and Podcasts.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]How is HA-S500 when compared to Philips Citiscape Downtown or Creative Aurvana Live! ? [/COLOR]

I don't know much about the Downtown's, but the S500s are better than the CALs. I'd say the isolation is average, it's not great, but its definitely not terrible either.

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #7,385 of 8,352

Better in terms of Build quality or Sound quality or both?

Build quality, definitely. The CAL! are headphones you would not want to just throw in a backpack and take off with.....they feel more fragile than the S500.
Sound quality, I do think the S500 are better, but the CAL! do sound nice too.

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #7,387 of 8,352

Yeah, CAL! seemed flimsy. And how about Downtown/Uptown vs S500?

I've never tried them or even seen them in person, so I don't know.

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #7,389 of 8,352
  Btw, I've heard that HA-S500 tends to make people uncomfortable when used for long hours. Is this true?

Makes all those who don't own a pair uncomfotable when I am around wearing them. So I try not to hang around the people who don't have them too long. 
biggrin.gif

Just put the $10 ATH pads on and you'll be good to go, I have no problem with the stock pads so it's not an issue for me.

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #7,390 of 8,352
  Btw, I've heard that HA-S500 tends to make people uncomfortable when used for long hours. Is this true?

Most people I've given to try them hate the way they feel. I insist they get better, but nope, my hopeful perfect gift idea is down the crapper.

You get used to them, and if you don't, you can always switch out the pads. The sound changes, but I still think they sound better than other headphones even with pads changed.

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #7,391 of 8,352

Makes all those who don't own a pair uncomfotable when I am around wearing them. So I try not to hang around the people who don't have them too long. 
biggrin.gif

Just put the $10 ATH pads on and you'll be good to go, I have no problem with the stock pads so it's not an issue for me.

LOL, I almost feel bad for those who don't own a pair. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Yeah, the stock pads work great for me also.
beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #7,392 of 8,352
Sep 7, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #7,394 of 8,352

How good is the noise isolation of HA-S500? I need a pair of headphones mostly for travelling in bus and metro. I'll be listening to pop, rap, electro, acoustic, classical and sometimes, alternate rock. Also, I will listen a lot of audiobooks and Podcasts.

How is HA-S500 when compared to Philips Citiscape Downtown or Creative Aurvana Live! ? 

The isolation isn't good enough for metro, may be not even bus.
Better go with in-ear than on-ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back