The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #7,336 of 8,352
Aug 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #7,338 of 8,352
Aug 29, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #7,339 of 8,352
Quote:
Would it be appropriate to label the S500 as a "basshead" headphone?  

There definitely is a good amount of bass, but I wouldn't consider it a basshead phone either. That being said, it has plenty of bass for rap and electronic genres.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #7,341 of 8,352
Quote:
Would it be appropriate to label the S500 as a "basshead" headphone?  

So, I got 4 nays and 2 yeas.  Seems like somewhat of a polarizing question...

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #7,343 of 8,352
Quote:

So, I got 4 nays and 2 yeas.  Seems like somewhat of a polarizing question...

To me, "basshead phones" implies more bass than anything else.....and I would not say that about the S500.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #7,344 of 8,352
Quote:
To me, "basshead phones" implies more bass than anything else.....and I would not say that about the S500.

Exactly. Headphones that i would classify as "basshead" would be like the XB500, V-Moda LP, and the majority of Beats products. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #7,346 of 8,352
Sounds like there's a disparity in everyone's idea of what a basshead is.  Which is fine.  Really could care less if this little $50 gem is considered one or not.

Basshead to me is a phone that has, among many other attributes, thumping bass.  I tried Websters but couldn't for the life of me find the official definition so I guess everyone is right. 

Love you guys!  As long as I feel the thump I'm a happy basshead! 
basshead.gif

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #7,347 of 8,352
Quote:
Sounds like there's a disparity in everyone's idea of what a basshead is.  Which is fine.  Really could care less if this little $50 gem is considered one or not.

Basshead to me is a phone that has, among many other attributes, thumping bass.  I tried Websters but couldn't for the life of me find the official definition so I guess everyone is right. 

basshead.gif

I think it depends on a person's definition of bass. For example, most audiophile who rarely listen to anything bassy will call a bass light headphone like sennheiser bass heavy. This is why there's quite a few headphone in the basshead club that don't belong there.
As for me, I do consider the S500 an entry level basshead headphone when amped and bass boosted, but on flat or normal eq it is not.

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #7,348 of 8,352
Quote:
I think it depends on a person's definition of bass. For example, most audiophile who rarely listen to anything bassy will call a bass light headphone like sennheiser bass heavy. This is why there's quite a few headphone in the basshead club that don't belong there.
As for me, I do consider the S500 an entry level basshead headphone when amped and bass boosted, but on flat or normal eq it is not.

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #7,350 of 8,352
Quote:

basshead.gif

To me the S500's are a basshead cans (because their bass is strong enough to become fatiguing to me after a while). But I know that doesn't make them true basshead cans for the likes of you crazy cats in the Basshead thread lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back