The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #7,201 of 8,352
I have noticed that the biggest flaw in these is comfort. Is it just me or does anyone else get serious ear pain after 20 minutes of use? 

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #7,202 of 8,352
Quote:
Grab one of those cheap ELE DAC's for like 18 bucks shipped. I think you'll be impressed with the upgrade in sound when listening off either 'puter. 
L3000.gif

One of these days I just might, but I just got a smartphone (and its requisite monthly bill) so I'm not buying any toys a for a while.....gotta conserve the limited cash. 
redface.gif

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #7,203 of 8,352
I have noticed that the biggest flaw in these is comfort. Is it just me or does anyone else get serious ear pain after 20 minutes of use? 

You'll have to wear them for a few hours/days before they become comfortable. Most of us had major ear pain at first, but the cups just need to adjust to your ear shape and that's it.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #7,204 of 8,352
Quote:

You could try the HM5 pads that go over the stock pads and make the headphones pretty comfy.  Some would say it impacts the sound quality but so does hurting after 20 minutes resulting in taking the headphones off. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #7,205 of 8,352
What we need here is a picture of someone wearing the S500's with HM5 pads applied. (Possibly a new Head-Fi'er Andy pic will arise from such) :p

I have the HM5's on my 'Sones which look great and fit the cup size. If it makes the S500's too silly to wear outside then I don't see any benefit as mine are strictly for portable use... :D

So toughen up son, break em in like a good pair of jack boots! Kids today are too soft... :p :D

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #7,207 of 8,352
Quote:
After further auditioning, I'm keeping the CAL!'s.  I was a little harsh on the bass earlier (it's not that bad).  Also, they are SO comfortable.  I've had problems with comfort in the past (i.e. S400), so I just don't want to return them.  Anyway, the S500's are going on my wish list.  Hope to get them when funds are available.  I do like the idea of having both (this is Head-Fi right).

I don't wanna burst your bubble, but I think the S400s are more comfortable than the S500s with stock pads. They have an amazing sound though.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #7,208 of 8,352
I don't have any problems with the paint chipping and I've owned these S500s pretty close to the beginning of this thread. They do get fingerprints easily, but I can wipe them off with no problem.

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #7,209 of 8,352
I got my S500 about a week ago and I too feel the high clamping force on my ears/head.  My head size is medium so I can only imagine how they feel on someone with a large head.   It doesn't help that the earpieces, when worn Left/Right correctly, don't allow for much angulation at all (narrower at the front, wider at the back).  I find that switching L/R feels a lot more comfortable to me.  I spend many happy hours reading the reviews on here ever since these phones came out but the pressure issue I don't remember reading about.  Nevertheless, I will persist in breaking them in.  This is my first purchase of headphones (for music) in 20 years and for the price these have very good sound and good build quality.  The bass is very strong compared to my IEMs which is not very surprising given the 40mm diaphrams.

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #7,210 of 8,352
Quote:
I don't wanna burst your bubble, but I think the S400s are more comfortable than the S500s with stock pads. They have an amazing sound though.

Actually, it wasn't the pads that hurt with the S400s.  It was the firm foam on the head band at the very top (i.e. center line).  From what I have seen and have been told, the S500 has a different (softer) padding in this area.  So, I think it will work fine.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #7,211 of 8,352
Quote:
I got my S500 about a week ago and I too feel the high clamping force on my ears/head.  My head size is medium so I can only imagine how they feel on someone with a large head.   It doesn't help that the earpieces, when worn Left/Right correctly, don't allow for much angulation at all (narrower at the front, wider at the back).  I find that switching L/R feels a lot more comfortable to me.  I spend many happy hours reading the reviews on here ever since these phones came out but the pressure issue I don't remember reading about.  Nevertheless, I will persist in breaking them in.  This is my first purchase of headphones (for music) in 20 years and for the price these have very good sound and good build quality.  The bass is very strong compared to my IEMs which is not very surprising given the 40mm diaphrams.

No kidding, for $50 or whatever they're built very solidly. You can tell by the hinges and cups.

Also, keep wearing your headphones, or place them on speakers/anything roughly the distance of your ears, the pads will soften up though not too much. It helped with me at least, but wearing them backwards so the hinge curves inwards at the front works too if you can switch the L-R channels.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #7,213 of 8,352
Received mine from Japan today.  Superfast shipment from Japan to Sweden it toke only 6 days.
I choosed SAL, but he actually used registrated airmail. What a service. $51 with free shipping.
I highly recommend this seller on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170969883075?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I found the sound directly from the box very good. I love the bass and the clarity is excellent.
Maybe my ears are kind of small, only the lower part of my ears sticks out and gets the very little pressure from the headphone. I actually think they are very
comfortable. I can agree that the ears feels a bit warm, but I guess every on-ear or over-ear would be like that.

By the look on all the photos on internet, I thought the gunmetal part  would look very platic and cheap. But in real there is actually a very thick clear coat on it
and looks like pretty much like the gunmetal chromed parts on cars. The black plastic is sturdy and  look good, doesn´t feel cheap at all.
No way you can tell that these headphone only cost $51 shipped. It feels like I just bought a pair of high-end and expensive headphone.

Thanks for recommend these, Dsnuts. I´m very satisfied and happy with it.

If someone find a good cheap case on ebay who fit these headphone, please post the link here. Thanks.

By the way, I must say the engineer who designed the package is a genius, so easy to open. Without using any scissors or knife.
Actually you can seal it back without problem too. I hate when the headphones are in blisterpack and you have to struggle to cut it open.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #7,214 of 8,352
Quote:
It feels like I just bought a pair of high-end and expensive headphone.

Congratz! You actually just did... except for the expensive part. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #7,215 of 8,352

Users who are viewing this thread

Back