The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #3,256 of 8,352
The marketing isn't something worth arguing about. The drivers are good sounding and that is what matters. Personally, if I had an S500, I wouldn't get an S770. JVC offshoot(non-Japan) models aren't really well done like the FXC80 here in the U.S. I doubt they did any real modification and testing. Let's put the driver in there, package it, and get it out to the market we need it to fill. If those two thin arms were changed or the pads improved, maybe. The S800 and M750 had issues that need more than just a driver swap, IME. If it was a Japan model, I'd trust more the R&D was done in and out. Pad rolling is quite limited as well for it.

Since it seems(haven't checked them all) to be going to markets that have the S400 and no S500(SR500 instead), you can put 2 + 2 together and gauge that it will be slightly better than the S500 but probably not as good as the next Japan made "S" series phone that will slot in above the S500. Basically just saying be cautious and not expect the normal jump you'd expect from a "500"  to a "770". Even many agree the S650 is the better sounding black series slightly over the M750. May be a surprise but maybe wise to be a bit more skeptical.

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #3,257 of 8,352
^ well the discussion is not about marketing it is acually about the burnability and flexibility of "nanotube drivers"....

But all three of the above post contain the real point. The sound.

These, like I said, are a great sounding HP. Whatever they did, even if there is one little tiny "nanotube" superglued to the driver somewhere just so they can call it that or if it is that material that really makes the difference, the particular HP in question out-performs HPs in a simlar class and price range. The science involved may have little to do with the nanotubes or a lot. In either case, they sound pretty good.

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #3,258 of 8,352
The carbon nanotube marketing is simply marketing. Carbon nanotubes are an additive to the resins and are NOT a complete "fabric" that the diaphargm is made of. They probably added it to the diaphagm material before it was formed and coined it as what made the driver sound so good. Think about adding sand to glue, as in nanotubes to resin. The fact it sounds good is most likely not a carbon nanotube tech but more like just a great sounding driver.

That and wonderful placebo. I don't doubt its a great sounding headphone, though. I have some older grey JVC bookshelves that sound absolutely stellar when you got some Flac's running through them.

-Noah

EDIT: They're also 10,000 times smaller in diameter than a human hair, you won't see anything when you take them apart.

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #3,259 of 8,352
The old M750 had the Carbon compound diaphragm and similar rigidity claims about the housing and drivers. To me, when the driver was more rigid, it sounded better. After burn in it lost some of it's appeal. Also seemed to be some effect of the pads softening so there are always other things that may contribute. Not even sure how much real burn-ability results we actually have from the S500 with all the pad swapping going on :) JVC seems to be moving in the right direction. 

When JVC drop a $200 full size CNT based phone on us then I'll be more into the detail of the driver construction, it's behavior, etc. I'm more serious about more serious models. The S400/S500 are budget cans after all, so why would I expect an S400 with a street price of less than $30 to have any more than a treated diaphragm. Getting into it over the S400/S500 isn't worth it and takes some steam away from all the fun when the big boy JVC is released
popcorn.gif

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #3,260 of 8,352
The old M750 had the Carbon compound diaphragm and similar rigidity claims about the housing and drivers. To me, when the driver was more rigid, it sounded better. After burn in it lost some of it's appeal.

Disrelated comment:

For a while my argument in the burn-in discussion has been "Why does it seem that burn-in always seems to magically make things change ONLY FOR THE BETTER?"

Sir I have waited a long time to finally see someone post that a can got worse with burn in. Thank you.

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #3,261 of 8,352
The M750 is a legit carbon compound diaphagm, however the "nanotube" thing is just too expensive a product to be used enough to make a real affect (my opinion of course)

Im assuming the sound comes from purely the fact that they are good, hah.

JVC could sprinkle a tiny bit into the construction and still make it some kind of tech to sell people on. 

Its not one of those things like the Bio-Cellulose (paper lol) drivers in the CAL's that was an attribute to the warm sound and laidback highs. Looking at those pictures, the diaphagm looks exactly the same as any other plastic driver...

These arent visable tubes that the use for structural integrity, they are literally 10,000 times smaller than the width of your hair.

If it turns out that im right or wrong (which is impossible because we wont ever know if that's what makes them sound good) ill be amazed.

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #3,263 of 8,352
S
ok so who here thinks the CNTs are just hype? That's actually a stupid question as I haven't heard any driver of previous materials that can match the qualities the new JVC drivers can deliver without compromising any of the attributes.

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #3,264 of 8,352
I agree^

How do these sound compared to the Hm5's? i can get those mucho cheap (70) and they were getting praise upon praise months ago (maybe 6.?)

I seem to predict these are more fun basshead; VMODA m80 sound-alikes, but for a cheaper price.

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #3,265 of 8,352
Aww ok, hope it goes well for you mate.
You know that you can always ask someone in the UK to order those blue HD25 pads for you and then ship them to Netherlands. :wink:
That's a shame, that was longer than I'm prepared to wait for them. So glad I didin't buy from them, their response put me off straight away if I'm honest.
Jp-ken is the only seller that said to me he doesn't mind marking the item as a gift so it goes quick through customs.

dont let you throw them off
ive ordered numerous products from overseas and they always seem to take longer for me somehow (3 weeks?)
ive read from other people that buyfromjapan ships from japan to north america 3 days after purchase- which is quick
i havent checked the tracking code but i bet its canadian customs taking their sweet time

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #3,266 of 8,352
JVC certainly does use Carbon Nano Tube also for marketing - proudly and justly so. Butt it is NOT just a snake oil term//buzzword  used in order to sell better - CNT used for the diahragm in HA-S500 is a genuine technological braktrough, one that would cost you dearly in the not so distant past. Let's simply be grateful JVC decided not to put an exhorbitant price tag on it ( they could have chosen to do so and still get away with it, given the SQ ) and - enjoy.

I do not see HA-S500 as competition for rivals priced 2-3 times their price, but far higher. Despite all teething troubles - just look at the earpad blues going on like forever on this thread -  that driver is simply unheard of at the price and can hold its own practically against anything, regardless of price.  Will see/hear what this driver can do in the new HA-S770s - can't wait.

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #3,268 of 8,352
Quote:
JVC certainly does use Carbon Nano Tube also for marketing - proudly and justly so. Butt it is NOT just a snake oil term//buzzword  used in order to sell better - CNT used for the diahragm in HA-S500 is a genuine technological braktrough, one that would cost you dearly in the not so distant past. Let's simply be grateful JVC decided not to put an exhorbitant price tag on it ( they could have chosen to do so and still get away with it, given the SQ ) and - enjoy.

I do not see HA-S500 as competition for rivals priced 2-3 times their price, but far higher. Despite all teething troubles - just look at the earpad blues going on like forever on this thread -  that driver is simply unheard of at the price and can hold its own practically against anything, regardless of price.  Will see/hear what this driver can do in the new HA-S770s - can't wait.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I want to thank Dsnuts again for telling me to buy these headphones. I listen to them everyday and it's so hard to take them off. These headphones have made me love music even more, which seemed impossible before. And to think I was going to buy the CAL!s. xD

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #3,270 of 8,352
dont let you throw them off
ive ordered numerous products from overseas and they always seem to take longer for me somehow (3 weeks?)
ive read from other people that buyfromjapan ships from japan to north america 3 days after purchase- which is quick
i havent checked the tracking code but i bet its canadian customs taking their sweet time

Hmm... well I was going to order from them as well until I stopped to think and realized that there are cheaper sellers of S500s on eBay.

Here is the reply I got from dtwhisper earlier:

"""I can offer EMS for US$25 same price mark the item as a gift. In the most recent 1 week, Japanese yen exchange currency getting weaker against US dollars. Then, looks Japanese ebay sellers began offering weaker price. If you like the price, pleasure click thru this site, n I'll adjust the price with sending u invoice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251188778828?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I sold several this model to the US, Canada, Norway, Germany n to Australia, everyone select this, gunmetal color.

I think, the yen-dollar currency goes back to the former level, this is the chance for you, whatever, it's up to you. Thank you very much for your interest.

Rgds,
Akira Watanabe

- dtwhisper"""

I have already promised jp-ken that I would buy from him instead.

+1

Of course it's partially a marketing ploy to get us to buy these headphones. However, who's to say that the technology isn't there or doesn't work?

The only way we are all able to find out indeed if they are better or not is if we compare them ourselves to other headphones.

Which is what I intend to do with them and my Sony MDR-V55s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back