The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #2,236 of 8,352
BTW for anyone still looking to get a clip. I signed up for email for Ratshack the other day. They sent me a 10 dollar off coupon from 40 bucks. Gunna pick up a clip zip. 30 dollars new with coupon.

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #2,237 of 8,352
I got mine today. They shipped on the 8th, so four days transit time from Tokyo, not bad. Anyway, they seem to have a pretty pronounced resonance around 100 Hz. I haven't read this whole thread, but does anyone else hear this? Otherwise they're very nice, but I hope there's a way to tame the hump.

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #2,238 of 8,352
wow.. bought a clip+ monday and got it today, that was FAST (i live in central america).

got a question, do you guys think that buying one of those RadioSlot cards is a good deal?

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #2,239 of 8,352
Quote:
wow.. bought a clip+ monday and got it today, that was FAST (i live in central america).

got a question, do you guys think that buying one of those RadioSlot cards is a good deal?

No. Those cards are DRM'ed, so it may not play if you Rockbox.

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #2,240 of 8,352
Quote:

It's easy to do, they're so small. Especially the black ones that I have had in the past, if you drop it you just can't see it!  

Very true. When buying my zip, the big decision was "white, that I don't typically go for but which will be easier to find" or "black, which I like, but which I will probably lose". Yes, I will probably be losing mine eventually!

Rickdohc: good luck in your hunt. It's not good to be without your clip!

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #2,241 of 8,352
Oct 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #2,243 of 8,352
Quote:
These should not be under your radar, they should over your head man. I am telling you, if you think your SG2 / ksc75 sounds good be prepared to be blown away with this things.
Think, KSC75 with a big beatiful subbass that hits low, fast, clean and detalied. Mids more foward, more sparcle without sounding to treble heavy, details you will never hear froma a koss, man i am telling you, these murders the ksc75 no mercy.
Keepmthe ksc75 for the price/sound ratio, for 15 bucks its one of the best buys out there, but if you want something WAY better, S500.
For the price, these things are outstanding... Hard no to sound like a jvcfanboy.. But whe all know that whe are not crazy cause whe know how good this things sound.

I finally got them on my head
gs1000.gif
and yup, they are rather awesome. The first thing that hits you is the sub-bass - amazing - you're just enveloped in the beautiful stuff.

I am a-b-c'ing them with my almighty modded ks75's and my px100-ii's. I'll let you know which one wins :)

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #2,244 of 8,352
Quote:
I got mine today. They shipped on the 8th, so four days transit time from Tokyo, not bad. Anyway, they seem to have a pretty pronounced resonance around 100 Hz. I haven't read this whole thread, but does anyone else hear this? Otherwise they're very nice, but I hope there's a way to tame the hump.

They are HORRIBLE new out of box.  That 100 Hz or so resonance new out of box will go away - with LONG and HARD burn in. It gets completely OK in the end, just give them time - lots of it, but at very least say 50 hours - preferably couple hundreds of hours.

If HA-S500 will not coinvience you that effects of burn in are not real, nothing ever will.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #2,245 of 8,352
Now burn in begins. I was thinking just now based on how long it took for the FX40 to actually burn in to their full potential. It does take around 200 hours plus of burn in for the FX40 and based on everyone's results of burn in on these headphones. I think everyone agrees there is not too much different about the sounds after a longer burn in on the HA-S500. Maybe some tighter sounds. Lesser bass and some added smoothness.

Carbon nanotubes being 20X stronger than steel and related to diamonds. I wonder if it really take a crazy amount of aggressive burn in time for these to really show their full potential.  I started burning them in again. This time at 85% max volume. The HA-S500 being approximately 4X bigger than the FX40 drivers. Does that mean we need 4X more burn in? Before you guys think I am nuts for suggesting this but. What if I am right.?

That means even if you don't believe in burn in. You need to set up a burn in station and throw them headphones on there whenever you can..Keep em on the burn in. I am not joking when I say these might need 1K hours for full potential and aggressive volumes. If anything. We have nothing to loose from burn in overkill on these drivers..I have over 600 hours or so on my pair.. It is crazy to think i am only half way there? Lol.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #2,247 of 8,352

Burn baby burn, disco infernoBurn baby burn, burn that mama downBurn baby burn, disco inferno, yeahBurn baby burn, burn that mama downGet it
 (The Trammps - "Burn baby burn")

biggrin.gif

200 hours of burnin an so on...
Quote:
Keep em on the burn in. I am not joking when I say these might need 1K hours for full potential and aggressive volumes. If anything. We have nothing to loose from burn in overkill on these drivers..I have over 600 hours or so on my pair.. It is crazy to think i am only half way there? Lol.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #2,250 of 8,352
Quote:
Hi Dsnuts, how would the s500 stack up against the sony mdr-zx700 as there in the similar price range at the moment. Thanks.

I'm not Dsnuts, but since I own the s500 and the mdr-zx701 (same as 700 but with mic/iphone controls) I'll chime in briefly. In short, the Sony is MUCH more comfortable and sounds very good, but the S500 sound quality is better. More definition, more bass punch. The Sony sounds more recessed to me. But if I need to listen for a long time, the Sony's win out, especially with the 8400 pads I put on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back