The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #2,026 of 8,352
You must be referring to the Clip+, because I'm pretty sure that the Clip Zip handles flac and alac files:
http://www.sandisk.com/products/music-video-players/clip-zip/

If I am understanding you correctly, if you install rockbox on the Clip+, then you can also play flac and alac files. If that's right, then that's great! :smile:

Oh thats cool it does flac. But not alac. Rockbox says they support alac. I was talkin about clip+ but neither do alac unrockboxed.

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #2,027 of 8,352
Quote:
Oh thats cool it does flac. But not alac. Rockbox says they support alac. I was talkin about clip+ but neither do alac unrockboxed.

Like you aren't going to want to mod the Clip+ with the Rockbox firmware right away (hehe).  It clearly is better with Rockbox. And you don't have to order off Ebay from Asia and wait two weeks to get the parts to do it 
biggrin.gif

One tip: Most of the Rockbox themes I looked at had really small text, much smaller than the default Clip+. If you want something similar to the standard Clip+, be sure to install the "Classic" theme when setting up Rockbox, and then try the Nimbus font. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #2,028 of 8,352
One tip: Most of the Rockbox themes I looked at had really small text, much smaller than the default Clip+. If you want something similar to the standard Clip+, be sure to install the "Classic" theme when setting up Rockbox, and then try the Nimbus font. 

Thanks for the tip Cel. I'll do that for sure.

This is so irritating when companies in LA ship DHL to me. Because it takes days, and days to go from the Shipper to DHL to USPS sorting to local USPS to my house. When they just stick it in the regular mail it is next day. How could they possibly be saving money with such a complex system..... anyway.. hope I get it monday, not holding my breath on tmrrw delivery.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #2,030 of 8,352
Quote:
I feel giddy. 2 pairs of ATH velours on the way. S500 and S400 on the way too.
Should receive the headphones early next week. As for the velours I'm guessing it will be a long wait.

The ATH pleathers you guys were talking about... is the following link the correct one?
http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/Ear-Pads-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ5-DJ-Style-Headphones-Black-/251160088897?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3a7a4ed141

If yes I might pick up 2 pairs too.

Anyways, anyone had a chance to try the Noontec Zoro? They seem quite close to the S500s with slightly larger stage.

Be very careful ordering pads from Yifei_Wang. I placed my order Sep.13 and got them Oct.4. Order 2 different pairs ATH-SJ5 and a pair of velour ESW9 ES7 FC7 Headphone pads all for the 500's. When I opened up the package none of what I ordered I had 10 very cheap looking headphone pads that I am not sure what they fit. Can take pictures if you guys are interested. Very disappointed and so far out 28 bucks. I have sent him a message.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #2,034 of 8,352
Quote:

Ok, alac is apple lossless. All of my stuff is mp3 or aac (apple lossy), and the aac files would work on the clip zip, or a rockboxed clip+. And either the clip zip or the clip+ would need to be rockboxed to play alac. Got it! Thanks.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #2,036 of 8,352
Quote:

Ok, alac is apple lossless. All of my stuff is mp3 or aac (apple lossy), and the aac files would work on the clip zip, or a rockboxed clip+. And either the clip zip or the clip+ would need to be rockboxed to play alac. Got it! Thanks.

Just be warned....the lossy aac support is spotty on the Clip Zip without Rockbox. For example, anything encoded with the Nero AAC encoder wouldn't play....and IIRC any track over about 10 minutes long wouldn't play either. I had stripped AAC audio from some YouTube mp4 convert  videos, anywhere from 1 to 2 hours long,  and they just wouldn't play at all. With Rockbox, they worked fine.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #2,037 of 8,352
Quote:
Just be warned....the lossy aac support is spotty on the Clip Zip without Rockbox. For example, anything encoded with the Nero AAC encoder wouldn't play....and IIRC any track over about 10 minutes long wouldn't play either. I had stripped AAC audio from some YouTube mp4 convert  videos, anywhere from 1 to 2 hours long,  and they just wouldn't play at all. With Rockbox, they worked fine.

Ok, thanks for that. Apparently Rockbox is the way to go! I guess I should get a Clip first though. Screw the Clip, I just want my S500's!!!

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #2,038 of 8,352

Hmmm... ATH pleathers. I am temped if the sound is really a big improvement, however velour's are my first choice for comfort. I usually find pleathers to hot especially with on ear headphones. You see I am always hot in general. Anything over 68F and 50% humidity and I'm sweating my pleathers off! In the winter I sleep with my window open even when it's snowing. I never wear a coat or jacket even when everything is frozen outside. I have often thought of moving to Alaska. I want improved sound but comfort is a requirement also.

Sorry I don't own a nanoclip. For portable use I have a tablet (Quantum Singularity) which has a surprisingly good head amp in it.

Arthur

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #2,039 of 8,352
Quote:
Hmmm... ATH pleathers. I am temped if the sound is really a big improvement, however velour's are my first choice for comfort. I usually find pleathers to hot especially with on ear headphones. You see I am always hot in general. Anything over 68F and 50% humidity and I'm sweating my pleathers off! In the winter I sleep with my window open even when it's snowing. I never wear a coat or jacket even when everything is frozen outside. I have often thought of moving to Alaska. I want improved sound but comfort is a requirement also.

Sorry I don't own a nanoclip. For portable use I have a tablet (Quantum Singularity) which has a surprisingly good head amp in it.

Arthur

I actually dig the ATH velours on the S500.  I like the pleathers a little more because it gives a better bass impact/body but there's nothing wrong with the sound from the velours.  These headphones just don't do anything significantly wrong if you like the general sound of them.  

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #2,040 of 8,352

Do you think the ATH velour's are better then the Sennheiser HD25 velour's? Where is the best place to buy pads? Why do I have a feeling I'll wind up ordering a whole mess of different pads to try out! lol

I would love to see JVC make a larger deluxe headphone with these carbon nanotube drivers.

Arthur

Users who are viewing this thread

Back