The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #8,116 of 8,352
Wow are these getting cheap or what? I might just have to pick up a spare.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-JVC-HA-S500-Z-Gun-Metallic-Carbon-Nanotube-Stereo-Headphones-/131300048658

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #8,117 of 8,352
  Wow are these getting cheap or what? I might just have to pick up a spare.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-JVC-HA-S500-Z-Gun-Metallic-Carbon-Nanotube-Stereo-Headphones-/131300048658

Yeah its probably because a lot of people have moved up to the HA-S680, which is the successor to the S500's. 

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #8,118 of 8,352
Okay, so I received my second pair of JVC HA-S500 and as promised I will share my experiences regarding burn in.

I've had pair A for 5 weeks. I've listened to them for roughly 4 hours every weekday, a lot more on the weekends. I'd estimate I've got at least 150 hours on them.
Pair B arrived two days ago. I marked the old pair "A" and the new pair with a "B" by using a small piece of masking tape on the driver housing, beneath the pads, without covering up any ports (on flat plastic). Both are identical and there is no way of knowing which is which without taking the pads off.

I prepared a simple test, not the most scientific, but I tried. I invited a friend who is also into headphones and I asked my sister to help. We each had a piece of paper and a pen, on which we attempted to write which pair we thought we were listening to. We each had a playlist of songs on our own DAPs (I figured we would be better able to identify differences using a set up we were personally familiar with) I used FLAC files on my Cowon C2, and he used 320kps files on his Ipod Classic. To start we both picked a pair at random (at this point there was no way of telling which was which) and listened to two songs from our playlists. I then asked my sister to take both pairs from us, go into a different room, take the pads off, jot down which one we had each listened to, put the pads back on, and using www.random.org, assign both of us a pair. We could either get a different pair, or the same pair.  We repeated this 10 times. She got very good at taking headphone pads on and off. Finally, after a break, we repeated the process 5 more times, this time listening to the same song every time.

To summarize the results for you: We were completely unable to identify which set we were listening to. After thorough discussion, we both agreed they sounded pretty much identical.  I can't help but wonder how different the results would have been if we had been told we were receiving a different pair each time. Would we have forced ourselves to find differences which didn't exist?

Granted, this is not a watertight test. By any standards. But is it any less objective than the usual personal accounts of burn in on this forum? "I listened to this set of headphones out of the box for 10 minutes and it sounded X, I then left it playing inside a drawer for 10 weeks straight and when I came back it sounded Y"

So there you have it. In this Ork's opinion there is no such thing as burn in. Enjoy your S500s straight out of the box, because they already sound great.

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #8,119 of 8,352
I should probably do the same too when my next earphones come in the mail. I've had this habit of letting them play even when I'm not wearing them for the first few days or a week.

Though to be perfectly honest, a lot of people take their opinions as facts. There's a few people here who compared new and burnt in headphones reporting night and day differences. So you know guys, YMMV.

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #8,120 of 8,352
Personally I didn't really notice a difference in my S500s from just listening at typical volumes. It wasn't until I started blastind drum and bass and higher than comfortable levels of volume did they seem to open up. Mine have probably 600 of burn in not including listening time. I use bassdrive if you ate curious. Leave a pair burning in at as high of a volume you think they can take for a week. Then do another comparison. You may get the same results, but I'd be curious to see what you come up with.

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #8,121 of 8,352
Okay, so I received my second pair of JVC HA-S500 and as promised I will share my experiences regarding burn in.

I've had pair A for 5 weeks. I've listened to them for roughly 4 hours every weekday, a lot more on the weekends. I'd estimate I've got at least 150 hours on them.
Pair B arrived two days ago. I marked the old pair "A" and the new pair with a "B" by using a small piece of masking tape on the driver housing, beneath the pads, without covering up any ports (on flat plastic). Both are identical and there is no way of knowing which is which without taking the pads off.

I prepared a simple test, not the most scientific, but I tried. I invited a friend who is also into headphones and I asked my sister to help. We each had a piece of paper and a pen, on which we attempted to write which pair we thought we were listening to. We each had a playlist of songs on our own DAPs (I figured we would be better able to identify differences using a set up we were personally familiar with) I used FLAC files on my Cowon C2, and he used 320kps files on his Ipod Classic. To start we both picked a pair at random (at this point there was no way of telling which was which) and listened to two songs from our playlists. I then asked my sister to take both pairs from us, go into a different room, take the pads off, jot down which one we had each listened to, put the pads back on, and using www.random.org, assign both of us a pair. We could either get a different pair, or the same pair.  We repeated this 10 times. She got very good at taking headphone pads on and off. Finally, after a break, we repeated the process 5 more times, this time listening to the same song every time.

To summarize the results for you: We were completely unable to identify which set we were listening to. After thorough discussion, we both agreed they sounded pretty much identical.  I can't help but wonder how different the results would have been if we had been told we were receiving a different pair each time. Would we have forced ourselves to find differences which didn't exist?

Granted, this is not a watertight test. By any standards. But is it any less objective than the usual personal accounts of burn in on this forum? "I listened to this set of headphones out of the box for 10 minutes and it sounded X, I then left it playing inside a drawer for 10 weeks straight and when I came back it sounded Y"

So there you have it. In this Ork's opinion there is no such thing as burn in. Enjoy your S500s straight out of the box, because they already sound great.

I meant to quote your post. My post was in reply to yours, but can apply to anyone.

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #8,122 of 8,352
Hi all, 

If anyone is interested, I just put an add in the classifieds to trade a Koss PortaPro and Philips SHE-3582 (blue 3580) for a set of JVC HA-S500s.

Nov 30, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #8,123 of 8,352
Just came here to say that after all this time I still absolutely love my JVC S500. The earpads have worn and I'm planning on replacing them, but for they price they sell at in Japan, they are still incredible. And the JVC S400 is sold for $25 with free shipping in the US so it's still a no brainer IMO for someone who wants some fun sounding headphones under $50 that aren't bulky. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #8,124 of 8,352
  Just came here to say that after all this time I still absolutely love my JVC S500. The earpads have worn and I'm planning on replacing them, but for they price they sell at in Japan, they are still incredible. And the JVC S400 is sold for $25 with free shipping in the US so it's still a no brainer IMO for someone who wants some fun sounding headphones under $50 that aren't bulky. 

I still use my S500 as a reference point. Unfortunately, it always makes me question why I am spending so much on headphones!
tongue.gif

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #8,126 of 8,352
  Has anyone ever transplanted the drivers into a different housing/cup successfully? I think the housing doesn't allow much room to breathe and it makes the sound too closed in.

I KNOW someone did, I just can't remember who... I would try to figure it out, but there is no way I'm going through all of the pages of this thread!

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #8,130 of 8,352
I just saw a video on CNET and they were talking about the best tech gifts under $50. The JVC S400 was one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back