The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 18, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #8,101 of 8,352
I have a big head and the ear cups cover my ears. When I have them on I can't hear people talking to me. I tend to play my music halfway loud though. For the price I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just make sure you burn them in properly. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #8,102 of 8,352
hello
It has been a long time since ive come here but im mighty suprised to see this thread still going on. I wanted to ask a question as my pads have worn out by now because of sweat and the atmosphere here. So what are the pads that most folks are using with these cans?
Hoping to hear from someone and thanks in advance
marcus

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #8,103 of 8,352
  hello
It has been a long time since ive come here but im mighty suprised to see this thread still going on. I wanted to ask a question as my pads have worn out by now because of sweat and the atmosphere here. So what are the pads that most folks are using with these cans?
Hoping to hear from someone and thanks in advance
marcus

As stated before, get a pair of ATH WS55 pads. They are slightly larger (oval) than stock (more comfortable) but fit perfectly, really soft, cheap, isolate well and semi-easy to get a hold of. I've tried a bunch of different pads (including ESW9a lambskins, which cost more than the headphones themselves!), and the WS55's take the cake hands down!

I got them by contacting my local (Swedish) Audio Technica support.

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #8,106 of 8,352
I recently purchased an AKG K518 as a replacement to my S500's, because mine are in seriously bad condition. Anyway now that i've listened to both i can easily say that the S500 absolutely demolished the K518 in terms of sound. And comfort. And convenience. And portability. The only thing the AKG's do better is build quality. 

S500's sound better in almost every way. The bass is tighter (although admittedly hits less hard), the mids are MUCH clearer and the highs are more detailed and have better extension. I do give soundstage to the AKG's though, the s500's sometimes sound way too closed in and honky. So yeah, if you're looking for an alternative for these that sounds better, well there isn't 
biggrin.gif
 you're stuck with them forever. 

Also tried fitting the K518 pads on the S500's. In short: Save you money, keep the stock pads (or if you really want to change get the ws55's pads). With the 518's pads, you lose out on the subbass but get a bit more midbass punch. The sound overall gets darker and the mids take a step or two backwards. However, soundstage is better by a tiny margin. Comfort is kinda the same actually. Ive had the s500's for a long time and the stock pads have gotten so soft its unbelievable. The 518's are harder but don't press against your ears as hard as the stock ones (mainly because they're larger than the stock pads). 

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #8,107 of 8,352
Been burning these guys in like hell since I got them. Haven't kept track but pretty close to the 100 hour mark and I have to say that HeadFi hype doesn't disappointment yet again! :D 

I'll admit that when I first put them on I was frankly disappointed with them. Bass was so boomy that you couldn't hear the mids and highs. In other words, the bass just put a blanket over everything else. After burn-in though, that blanket is pretty much gone and you have extremely tight, punchy bass with lush mids and sparkling highs. Think less harsh Fx40s with more bass! 

Though Im curious, has anyone else experienced a headache on the top center of the head, AKA where the headband wraps over? And if you have, is there any way to solve this? 

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #8,108 of 8,352
I got mine last week and I love them! I received the HD25 Adidas pleather pads this morning and I'm honestly disappointed. They feel very cheap compared to the stock pads, they're not as comfortable and they sound less open. I think the material isn't as good, the hole is too small, and the diffuser is too dense. It's a shame because they look very cool. Sorry Doc.

However I have bought a second jvc ha-s500 which will be arriving next month, and I'll be able to do a proper A/B, and likely leave the blue pads on one set just for looks, the sound and comfort difference isn't THAT big.

BTW I can't believe you guys still believe in burn in. Take your ha-s500 out of your drawer and enjoy them.

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #8,109 of 8,352
I got mine last week and I love them! I received the HD25 Adidas pleather pads this morning and I'm honestly disappointed. They feel very cheap compared to the stock pads, they're not as comfortable and they sound less open. I think the material isn't as good, the hole is too small, and the diffuser is too dense. It's a shame because they look very cool. Sorry Doc.

However I have bought a second jvc ha-s500 which will be arriving next month, and I'll be able to do a proper A/B, and likely leave the blue pads on one set just for looks, the sound and comfort difference isn't THAT big.

BTW I can't believe you guys still believe in burn in. Take your ha-s500 out of your drawer and enjoy them.

Just for argument's sake, burn in your current S500 24/7 and compare it with the new one out of the box that you'll be receiving.
Report to us any difference/indifference.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #8,111 of 8,352
Dont want to open up an argument here, I was never a believer or burn-in. But the S500's absolutely changed my opinion about that topic. The sound im listening to right now is different from when i first got them. Anyway the best way to burn-in your headphones is to actually put them on and listen to some music. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #8,112 of 8,352
The best way to burn them in is to play as long as you want because burn in is usually described by how many hours its been burned. I don't know whether the volume or choice of sound will affect it but I think most people agree a few notches louder than your listening volume is a good level to burn headphones in.
Orkboy you have a chance to do an objective test, I hope the outcome will please you.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #8,113 of 8,352
  The best way to burn them in is to play as long as you want because burn in is usually described by how many hours its been burned. I don't know whether the volume or choice of sound will affect it but I think most people agree a few notches louder than your listening volume is a good level to burn headphones in.
Orkboy you have a chance to do an objective test, I hope the outcome will please you.

It will never be an objective test, no matter how good my intentions are. Though I plan to recruit someone's assitance and attempt to repeteadly identify the 'fresh' pair from the 'burned' pair using only my ears in a blind a/b test, and though I will endeavour to dedicate an awful chunk of time to critical listening, trying to identify any differences between the two pairs, the result will always be determined by what my subjective ears and brain can appreciate. When I post my findings here, all you will have is yet another subjective anectode about burn in. My own personal opinion may change, but yours shouldn't. There are various articles often quoted here discussing actual objective tests that have been done on headphones and microphones, all the ones I have read seem to conclude that there is no such thing as burn in, at least not at a level the human ear can appreciate, and any changes in sound, however minute, will not necessarily be positive changes.

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #8,114 of 8,352
It's fine orkboy, burn them in and compare the old and new one side by side. bring some friends for a blind testing too maybe. whatever your finding is up to you. i'm just trying to present an at-least-objective way to compare burning outcomes. 

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #8,115 of 8,352
Anyway, I'm still very disappointed with the Adidas pads. I really wish they would sound and feel as good as they look. I think if JVC made blue versions of the stock pads and changed to replaceable cables then these headphones would become my absolute favourite set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back