The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Feb 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #7,981 of 8,352
Hey, seeking some advice regarding choosing a new portable headphone, the max should be 60-70$ and ships internationally.
Basically my (appearantly fake) K450 have started getting problems on their right side, so I'm looking for new portable headphones (I'm using the ATH-M50 for at home listening).
So obviously, the HA-S500 is a big canditate, and if I'm going on-ear I'll buy it and a hard case, but I'm debating whether I should buy it or let's say the VSonic GR06 or VSD1S. My main problem with IEMs is comfort, I bought Meelectronics CW31 which were quite comfortable at the beginning but after a while the wires got sort of tangled in their case and now they come out of my ear really easily, very annoying..
So what's your opinion? Has anyone gotten a chance to compare the S500 and a good in ear like the GR06? Which do you think is the better portable option?

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #7,982 of 8,352
This is unbelievable...

I managed to yank the wires loose from where they insert into the headphones... Now my s500s don't work at all =(
I got the wire tangled while I was squatting to get something from my bag and when I stood up the wire got caught on my knee and my knee yanked on wiring that enters the headphones....

Is there anyway to repair these? Either by buying new wire or just re-attaching the original wiring? The wiring is still attached, but seems to be loose or not in contact with the inside of the headphones

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #7,983 of 8,352
This is unbelievable...

I managed to yank the wires loose from where they insert into the headphones... Now my s500s don't work at all =(
I got the wire tangled while I was squatting to get something from my bag and when I stood up the wire got caught on my knee and my knee yanked on wiring that enters the headphones....

Is there anyway to repair these? Either by buying new wire or just re-attaching the original wiring? The wiring is still attached, but seems to be loose or not in contact with the inside of the headphones

They are done for. Just send them my way. Lol

No you probably just detached the wires from the driver. Will need to solder them back. That's a pretty hard feet as the wire is knotted to prevent this from happening.

Feb 13, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #7,985 of 8,352
Hey, seeking some advice regarding choosing a new portable headphone, the max should be 60-70$ and ships internationally.
Basically my (appearantly fake) K450 have started getting problems on their right side, so I'm looking for new portable headphones (I'm using the ATH-M50 for at home listening).
So obviously, the HA-S500 is a big canditate, and if I'm going on-ear I'll buy it and a hard case, but I'm debating whether I should buy it or let's say the VSonic GR06 or VSD1S. My main problem with IEMs is comfort, I bought Meelectronics CW31 which were quite comfortable at the beginning but after a while the wires got sort of tangled in their case and now they come out of my ear really easily, very annoying..
So what's your opinion? Has anyone gotten a chance to compare the S500 and a good in ear like the GR06? Which do you think is the better portable option?

To be honest id take an on-ear over an IEM any day, but thats just my opinion. Also note that IEMs are closer to your ear drums so you get more hearing damage.

Feb 13, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #7,986 of 8,352
To be honest id take an on-ear over an IEM any day, but thats just my opinion. Also note that IEMs are closer to your ear drums so you get more hearing damage.

how close they are has nothing to do with amount of damage, its all about how LOUD it is

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #7,988 of 8,352

Yea I guess, I think I'm pretty sensitive about stuff inside my ear lol. I guess I should try some really good (and really comfortable) IEM some day, but I guess it won't be that day :p
I think I'll go with the S500 :)

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #7,989 of 8,352

Yea I guess, I think I'm pretty sensitive about stuff inside my ear lol. I guess I should try some really good (and really comfortable) IEM some day, but I guess it won't be that day :p
I think I'll go with the S500 :)

Great, you won't regret it 
beerchug.gif

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #7,990 of 8,352
They are done for. Just send them my way. Lol

No you probably just detached the wires from the driver. Will need to solder them back. That's a pretty hard feet as the wire is knotted to prevent this from happening.

I opened them up (which was surprisingly very easy to do) and both wires from each driver is still attached. One of the wires is a little frayed, so maybe that's the problem? I guess I could detach the wiring and cut a few inches off and re-solder them, but then the cable would be even shorter...

Does anyone know of an online retailer that sells affordable quality cable? I'm thinking of just recabling them as the cable was always a little short for me. Or does anyone what the type of cable is called so I can google it? I can't seem to figure out what the specific cable type is called?

Thanks!

I've gotten them snagged on my knee more times than I can count! Sorry to hear it actually ruined your headphones...

I know, this wasn't the first time.. But, I guess it was the last. I was actually pretty depressed. I'm using my old JVC HA-M750, but the sound doesn't even come close to the S500's...

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #7,991 of 8,352

Does anyone know of an online retailer that sells affordable quality cable? I'm thinking of just recabling them as the cable was always a little short for me. Or does anyone what the type of cable is called so I can google it? I can't seem to figure out what the specific cable type is called?

Thanks!

try this one
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021818&p_id=9565&seq=1&format=2

what about a detachable cord mod?

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #7,993 of 8,352
How would that work with these headphones? Each driver has wires coming from them... 
You would have to find a surface mount 2.5mm jack to mount where the wire comes out of one cup, then find a way to feed more wire through yoke and across the headband to the other cup. It would be quite the task to make it look good with hidden wires and all.

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #7,994 of 8,352
I've had these headphones for quite awhile now and been very happy with them. Listening to pop or electronic music have been very enjoyable. However, I've noticed that the headphones perform poorly with quiet sounding tracks or instrumental solos. Its the most noticeable at low volumes. Sometimes, the headphones will fail to play some of the very quiet sounds that my Etymotic HF-5 have no problems producing. Additionally, a pervasive and annoying hissing sound can be heard throughout the track along with an unpleasant resonance (not an audiophile so don't know how to succinctly describe it). Even at normal or loud volumes, the same hissing and resonating sound can still be heard.

I was hoping someone could try to recreate the problems I am having in order to know that I am not the only one facing them. Here is a track from my music collection that might better help illustrate what I mean.
http://www.4shared.com/mp3/mprbrW2bba/05_Lyrical_Pieces_Op_38_-_Melo.html
Try listening to it at low volumes and then at normal or high volume.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #7,995 of 8,352
  I've had these headphones for quite awhile now and been very happy with them. Listening to pop or electronic music have been very enjoyable. However, I've noticed that the headphones perform poorly with quiet sounding tracks or instrumental solos. Its the most noticeable at low volumes. Sometimes, the headphones will fail to play some of the very quiet sounds that my Etymotic HF-5 have no problems producing. Additionally, a pervasive and annoying hissing sound can be heard throughout the track along with an unpleasant resonance (not an audiophile so don't know how to succinctly describe it). Even at normal or loud volumes, the same hissing and resonating sound can still be heard.

I was hoping someone could try to recreate the problems I am having in order to know that I am not the only one facing them. Here is a track from my music collection that might better help illustrate what I mean.
http://www.4shared.com/mp3/mprbrW2bba/05_Lyrical_Pieces_Op_38_-_Melo.html
Try listening to it at low volumes and then at normal or high volume.

Question, what are you playing the music with? Is it your laptop?

I listened to the track with my laptop and S500 but it sounds correct. No resonances or anything resembling it. There are also no hissing or noise, at least nothing out of the ordinary. I know my laptop has a just-ok onboard sound card so the hissing is permanent on sensitive headphones like the S500.

My advise to you is to try plugging the headphones to different sources and if the problem persists, you might own a defective one.

**added
also, check your audio file. If the file's quality itself is low then it will sound bad. But the link has a good track to test out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back