The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #1,021 of 8,352
Quote:

Analogsurviver.....you hear those velour pads exactly like I did, less bass(about right), and bigger soundstage, sparkle, more delightful mids!

"Dead Can Dance", "Anastasia" album, much improved with the velour pads....thanks for the recommendation of "Dead Can Dance", have two of their albums now...live performance is over the top! 

Thanks for the post!

Thank YOU cute for discovering these ear pads - without them, EQ is needed for HA-S500 nomatterwhat, rendering them less useful.

I still do not quite get it something that can legitimately challenge Lambda or K1K costs so little - considering I was lucky enough to get them at the $ 23.50 Amazon deal, these pads at $ 10-ish seem pricewise as relatively expensive extravaganza ! But ear pads are quality product, came in a box, signed for, tracking available, less than two weeks from China to Slovenia, in their own wrapper, with a very nice postcard as a gift and souvenir from the seller that was always prompt in communication - and very friendly. Can't beat such service, I guess. The fact they sound good with the HA-S500 is icing on the cake.

Hope he starts making special case for HA-S500 - there are tons of cases smaller and larger than what would fit for HA-S500 in his listings on ebay.
And if ear pads are representative for the quality, cases should not dissapoint one bit.

As always, enjoy your music !

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #1,022 of 8,352
Well thanx guys, great thread. (my credit card company thanks u too :moneybag:) Pulled the trigger this am..... Supposta get mine in "3 to 4 days"....

If half of what yall say pans out for my ears.... Small price to pay.

Might order the blue velours :rolleyes:

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #1,023 of 8,352
Quote:
I also noticed the ATH velours have a thinner cloth type material that cover the drivers vs the thicker sponge like material that cover the drivers for the HD25 velours. Might be the reason they the sound on the ATH velours sound a bit brighter as well as the fact that the sound hole is wider.

Once you've had some time with the new pads, would you mind popping the HD25 foam discs underneath the ebay velours to see what that does to the sound?

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #1,027 of 8,352
Well--and I blame EricP and his posts elsewhere for what follows 
wink.gif
 --I got some FXT90s in last week, liked them, but wanted more refinement, a step up. That led me to the FXD80s which are now on order (should be here in a couple of days). Of course, I had to hear about the S500s in the FXD80 thread and came here.  And then I read too much. LOL

Took the plunge last night on a pair of S500s. My Sony MDR-V6s have been my travel phones, and I've been wanting something different. The S500s sounds like they would at least be a lateral move, but in a little bit smaller package that's more travel friendly. 

Can't wait to see how they sound!

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #1,029 of 8,352
jeezz.. how better a 50mm closed Nano Carbon Tube HP will sound????????
All i going to say is that i am saving $$ for them.

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #1,030 of 8,352
So Kiteki posted a link for a DAC/AMP earlier on this thread that caught my attention. In particular one of these.

This is a Fire Phoenix Dac-02.. I was looking at the usual suspects for a new DAC/AMP the E17 the Audioengine D1 ect. And I don't know something about how these use the same chip that is in the flagship Cirrus Logic DAC. that got my attention but only cost $90. SO I thought why not. Geeebuz. This thing is AMAZING! This sound like I am in a room full of speakers using just my HA-S500..I can't believe what I am hearing using one of these and my HA-S500..I can't put it in words. It is shocking me to no end. I just unboxed this bad boy and hooked it up to my laptop and instant eargasm!

Any of you guys want a leap in sound performance for $90.. $105 shipped to you. I have been surprised usually from headphones but when you get a nice detailed higher end sounding HA-S500 and then add one of these in the mix.? Lol. I can confirm whatever they threw in here for sound chip. It is kicking my ass right now. More on this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/621087/fire-phoenix-dac-02-the-odac-o2-desktop-rival#post_8582357

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #1,032 of 8,352
Quote:
Not bad considering I paid three times the price for the same dac chip in the Leckerton.

I just looked up the chip, and it's the same one used in the $800 Marantz NA7004. It has unanimous 5 star votes almost everywhere.

Ordered

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #1,033 of 8,352
This DAC/AMP is not going to win any awards for looks but who cares when this sound like this. I am floored. Every headphone and earphone I have tried with all my music sound un believable on this little DAC.  This thing is serious. I am very much impressed with this Fire Phoenix. You all better take Kiteki's posts seriously. Yes this purchase was a shot in the dark but one that payed out for certain..This thing is ruining everything else I have that toots a tune. Lol.

Oh and to think this was out of box. Don't I have to have these DACs run for 50 hours or so to show their true form or something like that? I can't imagine this sounding better than what I am hearing right now.

My HA-S500 seriously sounds like a high end headphone using this. This is the sound that comes out of a 10K set up not from a $50 headphone and $90 DAC. LOL!!

Sep 4, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,034 of 8,352
Quote:
So Kiteki posted a link for a DAC/AMP earlier on this thread that caught my attention. In particular one of these.

This is a Fire Phoenix Dac-02.. I was looking at the usual suspects for a new DAC/AMP the E17 the Audioengine D1 ect. And I don't know something about how these use the same chip that is in the flagship Cirrus Logic DAC. that got my attention but only cost $90. SO I thought why not. Geeebuz. This thing is AMAZING! This sound like I am in a room full of speakers using just my HA-S500..I can't believe what I am hearing using one of these and my HA-S500..I can't put it in words. It is shocking me to no end. I just unboxed this bad boy and hooked it up to my laptop and instant eargasm!

Any of you guys want a leap in sound performance for $90.. $105 shipped to you. I have been surprised usually from headphones but when you get a nice detailed higher end sounding HA-S500 and then add one of these in the mix.? Lol. I can confirm whatever they threw in here for sound chip. It is kicking my ass right now. More on this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/621087/fire-phoenix-dac-02-the-odac-o2-desktop-rival#post_8582357

Your emptying my wallet............................

Sep 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #1,035 of 8,352
Yes, I think Dsnuts is actually employed to get the economy moving by encouraging consumer spending on Head-Fi.

I tried my S500's with a Dragonfly that is getting excellent reviews. It definitely improved it some, particularly in the details in the bass, but not enough to warrant me keeping a device like that. A $100 DAC is tempting though. I wonder if it's sound any better than my little Maya U5 external sound card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back