The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jul 11, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #3,511 of 3,535
I have the FX850 and it is one of my favourite IEMs. I like bass, and that's why a lot of my IEMs in my collection have bass-heavy profile (Sony XB90EX, iBasso IT01, Moondrop Kanas Pro, etc.). The FX850 have the most natural subbass and midbass that I have ever heard. Perhaps the midbass is too much, but I have them modded to reduce it a bit (james444 venta mod). Miss and voices are detailed and excellent and highs are extended without being harsh or piercing. Very good IEM and it has very low power requirement.

I remember that I bought the XB90EX in 2015 as a result of looking for IEM's with good bass on here, I think. I would up returning them, because I think my standard for measuring "good" bass were the Wooduo 2's. Would you compare the XB90EX to the FX850 at all?

Jul 11, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #3,512 of 3,535
The XB90EX goes deeper in subbass as compared with the FX850. However, quality, speed and detail (timbre) is better on the JVCs. Highs are better and more extended in the JVC, as well as soundstage. Voices are more forward in the Sony, but more refined and detailed in the JVC.

Jul 11, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #3,513 of 3,535
The XB90EX goes deeper in subbass as compared with the FX850. However, quality, speed and detail (timbre) is better on the JVCs. Highs are better and more extended in the JVC, as well as soundstage. Voices are more forward in the Sony, but more refined and detailed in the JVC.

Definitely agree here! I have both and enjoy them both because I love warm and bassy. But something about the JVC Woodies and their wood driver is definitely unique. Probably my all time favorite up to now with the xb90ex and the (kinda still blows me away) the flare audio r2a that they stopped making. Wish I'd picked up a wooduo when they were still available though

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #3,514 of 3,535
I don't know if I'd be able to tell a difference comparing the sound on an Android and an Iphone, to be honest. As long as it's not that big a difference, I think I should be okay. Thanks for the heads up on the app, though.I appreciate it.

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Plated-Copper-Braided-Earphone/dp/B07GR5DP49

They seem to check off all the requirements.

Yea', I saw a picture of some guy wearing them and they were sticking out pretty far and they looked huge. I'm still definitely going to try them out, though.

It all depends of quality of your files. If you strim from youtube or poor mastered mp3s from phone or itune, true you won't notice much difference between LDAC and AAC . But if you try flac files, i don't know how apple named them i think apple lossless then in direct comparear you definitely can tell which one is which.

No, that's wrong cable. You don't want any silver in your cable. R31 have plenty of highs , you don't want to boost them up more to a sibilant level. I don't know your budget but here they are. I haven't try any of them so I can't recommend any particular one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...000&pvid=fe160597-b785-4654-9a93-3f813c1e2fdb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NICEHCK-MM...hash=item1ccd6058eb:m:m9iEBJtJIksymUWrQaeG84g

https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Earp...mmcx&qid=1562838420&s=gateway&sr=8-16&x=0&y=0

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DW6MK9P/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A1WRDNWO5ZTILH&th=1

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #3,515 of 3,535
I remember that I bought the XB90EX in 2015 as a result of looking for IEM's with good bass on here, I think. I would up returning them, because I think my standard for measuring "good" bass were the Wooduo 2's. Would you compare the XB90EX to the FX850 at all?

You always have to take into consideration the source power. Wd2 have 9mm drive vs XB90EX 16mm drive. Sansa with 18 mwatt output can't power up sufficiently 16mm drive, that's why wd2 sounded better to you. XB90EX are excellent for subbass with proper power

Jul 12, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #3,516 of 3,535

Got it. Thanks!

Definitely agree here! I have both and enjoy them both because I love warm and bassy. But something about the JVC Woodies and their wood driver is definitely unique. Probably my all time favorite up to now with the xb90ex and the (kinda still blows me away) the flare audio r2a that they stopped making. Wish I'd picked up a wooduo when they were still available though

Man..me, too. I checked Amazon out of desperation just a few minutes back and it seems as though some reviewer was having the same exact problem I had with them (the left ear cutting out) some 4 years back I think it was. I loved everything about them. The sound, the feel, the look even, the size. They were perfect. But the quality control was pretty bad, which is so unfortunate. No shame in admitting that I'll be picking up another pair of three if I see them online again, though. lol

It all depends of quality of your files. If you strim from youtube or poor mastered mp3s from phone or itune, true you won't notice much difference between LDAC and AAC . But if you try flac files, i don't know how apple named them i think apple lossless then in direct comparear you definitely can tell which one is which.

No, that's wrong cable. You don't want any silver in your cable. R31 have plenty of highs , you don't want to boost them up more to a sibilant level. I don't know your budget but here they are. I haven't try any of them so I can't recommend any particular one.

Thank you, brother. Really appreciate your help. I ordered the one from Amazon, so we'll see how it goes.

You always have to take into consideration the source power. Wd2 have 9mm drive vs XB90EX 16mm drive. Sansa with 18 mwatt output can't power up sufficiently 16mm drive, that's why wd2 sounded better to you. XB90EX are excellent for subbass with proper power

Honestly, prior to talking to you guys, I had literally no idea about any of this stuff. I thought IEM's were IEM's and that's that. I know better now. At least to some degree.

Oct 3, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #3,517 of 3,535
Hello.
I've been using JVC FX850 for almost three years now, and I love their sound pretty much. However, there are a couple of cons as to their ergonomics and build that bother me.
First, they are rather heavy and therefore don't sit in my ears good enough. I've tried different tips, but anyway it doesn't take much effort to pull them out. Therefore I need to reajust them pretty often when I'm listening to the music, and it gets quite annoying.
Second, as they have an open design and rather shallow fit, it's impossible to reach a good noise isolation in them. I spend a lot of time listening to music on a public transport, and with all the noise included, I can't really appreciate the sound of FX850 - a lot of details (and especially bass) just go away because of the ambient noise and poor seal (even with foam tips, which to my taste ruin the sound by themselves on this IEMs).
I've been thinking of an upgrade lately, and although initially I didn't want to stretch my budget too much, I've started to think about Shure SE846. I've had previous experience with SE215, and though I found their sound rather dark and muddy to my taste, I totally loved their ergonomics and isolation level (might be one of the best isolation levels I've ever had on IEMs), as well as overall minimalistic design and durability. And as I understand from some reviews I've read, SE846 has similar sound signature to FX850 I currently own, but much better. I have no opportunity to test them before buying though, so I would like to get some advice from people who have used both of those IEMs as to whether SE846 would be a decent upgrade to my FX850 (sound-wise and overall) and whether they worth the money (I'm looking into buying a pair of new ones so I'll have a warranty and the unique experience of using something first-hand).
Thanks in advance!

PS. If it's relevant - previously owned Vsonic GR07 BA, but found their sound a bit too harsh and sibilant to my taste...

Oct 27, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #3,518 of 3,535
Hello.
I've been using JVC FX850 for almost three years now, and I love their sound pretty much. However, there are a couple of cons as to their ergonomics and build that bother me.
First, they are rather heavy and therefore don't sit in my ears good enough. I've tried different tips, but anyway it doesn't take much effort to pull them out. Therefore I need to reajust them pretty often when I'm listening to the music, and it gets quite annoying.
Second, as they have an open design and rather shallow fit, it's impossible to reach a good noise isolation in them. I spend a lot of time listening to music on a public transport, and with all the noise included, I can't really appreciate the sound of FX850 - a lot of details (and especially bass) just go away because of the ambient noise and poor seal (even with foam tips, which to my taste ruin the sound by themselves on this IEMs).
I've been thinking of an upgrade lately, and although initially I didn't want to stretch my budget too much, I've started to think about Shure SE846. I've had previous experience with SE215, and though I found their sound rather dark and muddy to my taste, I totally loved their ergonomics and isolation level (might be one of the best isolation levels I've ever had on IEMs), as well as overall minimalistic design and durability. And as I understand from some reviews I've read, SE846 has similar sound signature to FX850 I currently own, but much better. I have no opportunity to test them before buying though, so I would like to get some advice from people who have used both of those IEMs as to whether SE846 would be a decent upgrade to my FX850 (sound-wise and overall) and whether they worth the money (I'm looking into buying a pair of new ones so I'll have a warranty and the unique experience of using something first-hand).
Thanks in advance!

PS. If it's relevant - previously owned Vsonic GR07 BA, but found their sound a bit too harsh and sibilant to my taste...

If you EQ/mod/change cable on FX850, there is no real upgrade worth the dollars.

Does anyone has spare mesh filters for these IEMs? One side of my pairs, the filter has fallen out and I may have binned the filters by accident...

Oct 27, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #3,519 of 3,535
If you EQ/mod/change cable on FX850, there is no real upgrade worth the dollars.

Does anyone has spare mesh filters for these IEMs? One side of my pairs, the filter has fallen out and I may have binned the filters by accident...
I use fishtank oxygen filters. It's very poros and it dosn't obstruct the sound at all. Cut a small pice and insert it inside the tube and later just replace them

Apr 22, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #3,520 of 3,535
Hi there
I have these fantastic iem from more than 4years.still satisfied even because I m not a daily in ear user..
Anyway my gf start to steal me these more often and I was thinking to give them for good and upgrade.
Which in ear with the same sound signature can be considered a real upgrade? I read above the 846 that I know and I like. But maybe even something better in the price range of the 846?

Thank you!

Apr 22, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #3,521 of 3,535
FYI, for those thinking of converting to bluetooth - I used the FiiO LC-BT2 MMCX and it works perfectly. They're back to daily use again.

Apr 22, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #3,522 of 3,535
Hi there
I have these fantastic iem from more than 4years.still satisfied even because I m not a daily in ear user..
Anyway my gf start to steal me these more often and I was thinking to give them for good and upgrade.
Which in ear with the same sound signature can be considered a real upgrade? I read above the 846 that I know and I like. But maybe even something better in the price range of the 846?

Thank you!

The HA-FW01 have been available on Drop for $250 recently.

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #3,524 of 3,535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back