The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jan 24, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #3,496 of 3,535
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement cable for these?

If you are able to find a stock cable for the 850 or 1100/1200 please let me know. I've been trying to find one for ages.. :/

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #3,498 of 3,535
Hi folks,

Just to let you know that I'm going to let my mint little woodies go. I you're interested, I'm based in Spain.

Price shouldn't be at least a problem... :)

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #3,499 of 3,535
Up for sale on the classifieds are my near MINT little FX850s. If anyone should be interested, please feel free to shoot me a PM.

:) :) :)

Jul 8, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #3,501 of 3,535
I have fx750 which has almost the same sound profile except removable cable and smaller than fx850 and i have four pairs of wooduo 2. Sound wise they a different depending of the sourse. fx 750 scale up significantly with more power, wd2 doesn't. If you listen directly from a phone like lg v30 in aux mode and you are basshead go with wd2 or Radius 31 which is a direct upgrade to wd2. I've been in search for over 5 years to find similar bass like wd2 has from low power source and every time I broke a pair I had this dilemma what will be the next, that's how I ended up with 4 pairs. Fx750 is all about that boomy fat middle bass 60-125 hz which is quite tiresome whereas wd2 is all about quality subbass rumble 20-30hz. For electronic and edm music I'd choose any day wd2 over fx750. For rock, mettall, vocals, blues, jazz, classic music I'd go any day with fx750 over wd2. Fx750 musicly are just superior in every way with larger soundstage, very natural and clear mids, a touch sibilance on highs but enough resolving. If fx750 had the bass of wd2 that would've been my ultimate iem. Wd2 mids are narrower and more recessed and highs less resolving in comparison but according to the graf profile fx850 has slightly recessed mids compare to fx750 too.
Radius 31 sits right in between them, i still prefer wd2 bass signature but R31 has more dynamic pleasant impact on 40-50 hz, better mids not as good as fx750's and similar highs to fx750. I have all tree of them and I wouldn't sell any one but lately since i bought es100 I listen mostly to Radius31 with balanced cable.
One note to you. If you decide to go with wd2, I noticed there are two batches of them, the earlier ones have slightly wider red cable and wider wood housing they never came with black cables and remote. Those quality are significantly better and sound slightly different too, but still the build quality are not near as good as jvc or radius.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #3,502 of 3,535
Believe me, if the Wooduo's were available, I more than likely wouldn't waste my time with anything else. I've actually owned several pair myself and love them to absolute death. I just can't find them anywhere. I honestly regret not stocking up on a few pair when I had the chance. You wouldn't happen to know where I can source a pair or two, would you?

Also, thanks for the recommendations. Are these the one's you're referring to?

https://www.ebay.com/i/232979519531?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0

Since I mainly listen to EDM, hip hop and things of that nature (will be mainly using them with my Sansa Clip+ MP3 player), I suppose I should probably hold off for a pair of WD2's, right? Or would you recommend anything else as a secondary option? I need something soon, so I'm going to either blind buy the Radius linked above or the FX850's.

And just one last thing. When you say that the Radius 31 are "a direct upgrade to wd2", what do you mean by that? That they sound better or that they're by the same company and they're literally the upgraded version of the WD2's?

Jul 9, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #3,503 of 3,535
Believe me, if the Wooduo's were available, I more than likely wouldn't waste my time with anything else. I've actually owned several pair myself and love them to absolute death. I just can't find them anywhere. I honestly regret not stocking up on a few pair when I had the chance. You wouldn't happen to know where I can source a pair or two, would you?

Also, thanks for the recommendations. Are these the one's you're referring to?

https://www.ebay.com/i/232979519531?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0

Since I mainly listen to EDM, hip hop and things of that nature (will be mainly using them with my Sansa Clip+ MP3 player), I suppose I should probably hold off for a pair of WD2's, right? Or would you recommend anything else as a secondary option? I need something soon, so I'm going to either blind buy the Radius linked above or the FX850's.

And just one last thing. When you say that the Radius 31 are "a direct upgrade to wd2", what do you mean by that? That they sound better or that they're by the same company and they're literally the upgraded version of the WD2's?

You just like me one year ago, I still have 3 sansa clips+(Rockboxed), they are so convenient for workouts. My suggestion, don't waste your time you don't know how hard i tried to find some similar iems, remember i got 4 broken pairs of wd2 . The match between Sansa and wd2 is made in heaven and nothing else will come close to that sound. Ultimately, I gave up searching and updated to more powerful radsone es100 which will open for you so much more options. You'll lose your mind how much of upgrade is that compare to Sansa. Only then, you can look for some more expensive iems. Sansa just doesn't have enough power to pump up bass. I just tried my R31 with Sansa, nope I wouldn't suggest it to you. Take my words, Radius 31 with balanced cable + es100 will blow your mind and will shake lose your filings in your teeth and most importantly sound signature is similar to wd2, multiplied by 3.
No, that's not the Radius i meant, this is It https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-radius...100194?hash=item41e78495a2:g:GL8AAOSwIrVbSq9l

Jul 9, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #3,504 of 3,535
Man, I literally could not have asked for a better person to see this post. Thanks a million for your help. If you don't mind, I just had a couple more questions for you. Since I was wrong about the last pair I linked you to, I don't want to wind up buying the wrong things here.

Is this the es100 you're referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/EarStudio-ES100-24bit-High-Resolution-Bluetooth-Unbalanced/dp/B078H4YD2L/

I hope it is, because it looks incredibly good - like a modern version of the Sansa - and it's even compact like the Sansa, too, which is awesome.

The other thing is, regarding balanced cables, which one's did you buy for your es100? I've never in my life heard of switching out headphone cables, so this is a completely foreign concept to me and thus I don't have the foggiest as to what exactly I'm looking for or what I should buy. Anything good you could recommend? Are there different levels of quality in terms of what you can achieve with sound? Meaning, can you achieve a "better"/"clearer" sound with higher priced cables? Or do you reach a plateau after a certain point, where, despite the price, most people can't tell a difference and wouldn't be able to differentiate between, let's say, a $100 cable and a $300 cable? Not sure how much they cost, but you get the gist.

Jul 9, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #3,505 of 3,535
Man, I literally could not have asked for a better person to see this post. Thanks a million for your help. If you don't mind, I just had a couple more questions for you. Since I was wrong about the last pair I linked you to, I don't want to wind up buying the wrong things here.

Is this the es100 you're referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/EarStudio-ES100-24bit-High-Resolution-Bluetooth-Unbalanced/dp/B078H4YD2L/

I hope it is, because it looks incredibly good - like a modern version of the Sansa - and it's even compact like the Sansa, too, which is awesome.

The other thing is, regarding balanced cables, which one's did you buy for your es100? I've never in my life heard of switching out headphone cables, so this is a completely foreign concept to me and thus I don't have the foggiest as to what exactly I'm looking for or what I should buy. Anything good you could recommend? Are there different levels of quality in terms of what you can achieve with sound? Meaning, can you achieve a "better"/"clearer" sound with higher priced cables? Or do you reach a plateau after a certain point, where, despite the price, most people can't tell a difference and wouldn't be able to differentiate between, let's say, a $100 cable and a $300 cable? Not sure how much they cost, but you get the gist.

Yes, that's es100 i'm talking about. It's identical size to Sansa, it's got even a clip like sansa has but you have to understand this is not a player like sansa, it's a bluetooth receiver and amplifier in one but it doesn't store or play music. You have to connect a phone via bluetooth with it and play it from your phone and connect only headphone jack to it. So it is wireless to your phone but wired with headphone. And you have to carry your phone with you all the time, this part sucks compared to sansa but most of us anyway always do. The free range is about 10 feet, so if you have your phone playing in a big room you'll have strong bluetooth connection.
If you don't have a phone which is odd, and you want a standalone more powerful player like sansa sized, you should look at Shanling
m0 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32869895107.html but none mp3 players will be as powerful as es100. It will put a smile on your face with any headphones, just love my es100 the best audio investment ever. I long time debated between these two, I did want to be 10 feet chained to my phone especially during workouts. Now when I think about it I can sell my sansas and get one Shanling m0 for workouts.
Don't bother much with balanced cables. The rule is simple, the thicker and shorter they are the better sound, everything else are gimmicks. I mentioned it because es100 has two outputs for headphones, regular one 3.5mm and balanced 2.5mm jack. The main benefit of 2.5mm balance is double output power and that means more bass for the right iem. I can't refer you to any balanced cables because i build my own from parts. I wish I can try fx 850 with balanced cable in my es100 but I highly doubt it will have that kind of bass as my R31, and really i'm happy with this set. For the sake of curiosity i may try to retrofit my fx750 to balanced2.5mm cable just to see how they compare to R31.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #3,506 of 3,535
Is this the es100 you're referring to? [URL said:

I have the FX850s (+ 700s which I owned and loved!) and they are my favorite IEMs. The warmth and timbre that JVC Woodies put out is so lovely to my ears :) nothing sounds quite like those wood drivers.

Almost want to buy another pair (or upgrade to the 1100/1200 or *maybe* the newest FW01)

But I wanted to pipe up and say the ES100 is one of the best tech/audio gadgets I've bought over the last couple years. Fantastic way to use all my headphones and IEMs wirelessly...no dongle!! (or as close wireless without buying multiple BT cables); sounds great, good battery life (wish it was USB C charging though...), app to tweak things, and supports all the codecs including LDAC.

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #3,507 of 3,535
skeptical: Ohhh, I see. Okay. Well, I guess in one way you saved me from hoarding, but considering how we have similar tastes, I trust your opinion and have taken a chance on it. I bought it on Amazon, so I can always return it if for whatever reason I don't like it

The only thing I'm concerned with is my battery. I'm on an Iphone 6S Plus and thankfully the battery life is pretty decent, but then again I take long bike rides and I wonder how much power it'll use up during that time. Have you noticed any difference at all after using the es100?

Also, the screen on the phone doesn't have to be on, right? I can just turn it off and use the es100 for everything (volume, track change, EQ, etc)? And your music plays through Itunes, I assume?

mayorblurps: Awesome! Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts. The FX850's have intrigued the hell out of me. I'm no oil tycoon and though I picked up the pair Skeptical linked me to above, I'm still very curious as to how the JVC's sound. I don't think this thirst will be quenched outside of trying them, so I might have to test them out and risk losing shipping costs if they don't really sound the way I'd like them to sound. If they do fit the bill, then I'm in trouble.

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #3,508 of 3,535
skeptical: Ohhh, I see. Okay. Well, I guess in one way you saved me from hoarding, but considering how we have similar tastes, I trust your opinion and have taken a chance on it. I bought it on Amazon, so I can always return it if for whatever reason I don't like it

The only thing I'm concerned with is my battery. I'm on an Iphone 6S Plus and thankfully the battery life is pretty decent, but then again I take long bike rides and I wonder how much power it'll use up during that time. Have you noticed any difference at all after using the es100?

Also, the screen on the phone doesn't have to be on, right? I can just turn it off and use the es100 for everything (volume, track change, EQ, etc)? And your music plays through Itunes, I assume?

mayorblurps: Awesome! Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts. The FX850's have intrigued the hell out of me. I'm no oil tycoon and though I picked up the pair Skeptical linked me to above, I'm still very curious as to how the JVC's sound. I don't think this thirst will be quenched outside of trying them, so I might have to test them out and risk losing shipping costs if they don't really sound the way I'd like them to sound. If they do fit the bill, then I'm in trouble.

You'll keep your es100 guaranteed, It's impossible not to love it. For me it's not a problem micro usb charging port, I put in there a magnetic tip and use one cable for phone and es100. It's not completely flawless but you won't notice them when you'll hear the sound.
Regards the sound. In your particular case with an iphone you won't have the best out of it. Bluetooth codecs out of iphone is AAC which is inferior to LDAC out of android and there is an audible difference, not too bad though. I tried both of them on my phone and while ldac is better quality sound wize the AAC is more consistent and stable with less cuts off connection. You'll have to download Ransone app to your phone from apple store, where all the setting for es100 are. If you decided to go with Radius 31 iem get as well a balanced 2.5mm jack mmcx cable,8 core ,high purity capper.
Don't worry about phone battery taxation, it's negligible on other hand the es100 battery last me 6-7 hours with non stop listening at moderate volume. That's why i bought two of them when there was a discount for $75, so i have any moment a full replacement.
As to fx850, they are well worth considering too, paired with es100. For me they are just a bit too bulky and heavy comfort wize, that's why I went with fx750 in the first place. You can watch for some good pair here on trade thread for around $150. They're a little shy on rumble bass but have a very unic clear and warm sound. After I gifted one pair of my fx750 to my brother, i couldn't live without that sound and bought them second time for my blues collection.

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #3,509 of 3,535
I have the FX850 and it is one of my favourite IEMs. I like bass, and that's why a lot of my IEMs in my collection have bass-heavy profile (Sony XB90EX, iBasso IT01, Moondrop Kanas Pro, etc.). The FX850 have the most natural subbass and midbass that I have ever heard. Perhaps the midbass is too much, but I have them modded to reduce it a bit (james444 venta mod). Miss and voices are detailed and excellent and highs are extended without being harsh or piercing. Very good IEM and it has very low power requirement.

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #3,510 of 3,535
Regards the sound. In your particular case with an iphone you won't have the best out of it. Bluetooth codecs out of iphone is AAC which is inferior to LDAC out of android and there is an audible difference, not too bad though. I tried both of them on my phone and while ldac is better quality sound wize the AAC is more consistent and stable with less cuts off connection. You'll have to download Ransone app to your phone from apple store, where all the setting for es100 are.

I don't know if I'd be able to tell a difference comparing the sound on an Android and an Iphone, to be honest. As long as it's not that big a difference, I think I should be okay. Thanks for the heads up on the app, though.I appreciate it.

If you decided to go with Radius 31 iem get as well a balanced 2.5mm jack mmcx cable,8 core ,high purity capper.

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Plated-Copper-Braided-Earphone/dp/B07GR5DP49

They seem to check off all the requirements.

As to fx850, they are well worth considering too, paired with es100. For me they are just a bit too bulky and heavy comfort wize, that's why I went with fx750 in the first place. You can watch for some good pair here on trade thread for around $150. They're a little shy on rumble bass but have a very unic clear and warm sound. After I gifted one pair of my fx750 to my brother, i couldn't live without that sound and bought them second time for my blues collection.

Yea', I saw a picture of some guy wearing them and they were sticking out pretty far and they looked huge. I'm still definitely going to try them out, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back