The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Dec 30, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #3,481 of 3,535
The FX850 is brighter and therefore sounds clearer. However, if you think the GR07's treble is exaggerated, I have my doubts whether you'd like the FX850's.

Well, in most of the cases I actually like it. However, sometimes it tends to be a little sibilant to me.
Someone suggested me fx850 as an upgrade for GR07. He said the treble is actually less sibilant on fx850.

I would actually agree with this. The treble on the fx850 is better controlled (or dampened, whatever) and as a result, even while being brighter or more prominent in the treble, it isn't as hot as the gr07. The fx850 also has that timbre factor that makes things sound less exaggerated in general haha.

I don't really think it sounds like the GR07 though fwiw, mainly due to the increased bass and presentation. But I do prefer it, even while generally not favoring v-shaped signatures.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #3,482 of 3,535
I would actually agree with this. The treble on the fx850 is better controlled (or dampened, whatever) and as a result, even while being brighter or more prominent in the treble, it isn't as hot as the gr07. The fx850 also has that timbre factor that makes things sound less exaggerated in general haha.

I don't really think it sounds like the GR07 though fwiw, mainly due to the increased bass and presentation. But I do prefer it, even while generally not favoring v-shaped signatures.

You mean you prefer it over fx1100?

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #3,484 of 3,535
You mean you prefer it over fx1100?

And I didn't say that it sounds like GR07, I just said it's closer to it than fx1100 as far as I understand.

Got it. Can't say, haven't heard the fx1100. I liked the fx850 a lot with James' front vent mod.

Just wanted to chime in on it thinking there won't be a real issue with the treble coming from the gr07.

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #3,486 of 3,535
By the way, where can I buy a pair of fx850 for the cheapest price with international shipping?

Look in HF headphone for sale section. I saw 850 and 1100 or 1200 for sale

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #3,489 of 3,535
Sorry, already have ordered a new pair from some Japanese ebay seller. Just thought I would prefer a new pair, even if it means stretching my budget a bit.

That's ok, because I bought them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #3,491 of 3,535
Hello guys. So after reading through the fx750/850 threads I finally bought a pair! Came to my country (Lithuania) from the UK via Japan, in less than 3 weeks. I love the sound, but I noticed that the buds have a huge impact on the sound signature. They came with the default spiral tips, but I would be very curious to try some other options. Maybe somebody could recommend some fitting buds - maybe two or ever three flange? I have a few from my etymotics, but they don't fit :frowning2:

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #3,492 of 3,535
For anyone interested in a DAP that might synergize with the woodies, I strongly recommend the Shanling M2. I wish I could try the 850, but I was blown away by the match up with my Fx750.

The M2 highlights mids,in particular upper mids. I was listening to the Weezer Blue Album, and man oh man the richness of the tone in the mids is plain money.With my experience, it's pretty much a big fat cranked tube amp distortion so richly presented by the M2. Very rich forward mid sound, so it can probably be good meddling if you're not big on mid-bass.

And if you like your guitars to be rich with fuzz and upper harmonics.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #3,493 of 3,535
For anyone interested in a DAP that might synergize with the woodies, I strongly recommend the Shanling M2. I wish I could try the 850, but I was blown away by the match up with my Fx750.

The M2 highlights mids,in particular upper mids. I was listening to the Weezer Blue Album, and man oh man the richness of the tone in the mids is plain money.With my experience, it's pretty much a big fat cranked tube amp distortion so richly presented by the M2. Very rich forward mid sound, so it can probably be good meddling if you're not big on mid-bass.

And if you like your guitars to be rich with fuzz and upper harmonics.

I think they pair extremely well on the Studio 6 via the LO on mode B. Wish I still had the stock cable as this new cable does change the signature some :frowning2:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back