The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Mar 4, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #3,392 of 3,535

Putting aside the facts that the 335dw is essentially unobtainable and that some of the IEMs you`ve listed, like the K10, are 8 times as expensive as the FX850, do you really think any of these have a similar sound signature to the JVC, a single-dynamic  ? ?    In my opinion, the FX850 and something like the K10 or Angie are so far apart on the sound sig spectrum as to be completely incomparable.  

The closest sound I have heard to the FX850 (besides the FX1100) is the Japaear JE333, which unfortunately has similar weak isolation.  Frankly, there is not much out there with good isolation and the beautiful soundstage of the 850. . . . DN-2000J is not comparable but the non-J, DN-2000 is close-ish and has reasonable isolation.  

Hey,

Can you give some impressions for DN-2K vs DN-2KJ ? and JVC HA-FX850 vs JVC HA-FX1100?

Thanks !

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #3,394 of 3,535
  Hey,

Can you give some impressions for DN-2K vs DN-2KJ ? and JVC HA-FX850 vs JVC HA-FX1100?

Thanks !

What type of sound are you looking for.? You seem to keep asking the same thing over and over and over. Compare this to that. If people knew what type of sound your going for it would help more than asking what compares with what.

Cause I can tell you I prefer one sound to another but another person might say they prefer the opposite. Sometimes you just gotta try phones for yourself.  Which is what I would recommend. 

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #3,395 of 3,535

What type of sound are you looking for.? You seem to keep asking the same thing over and over and over. Compare this to that. If people knew what type of sound your going for it would help more than asking what compares with what.

Cause I can tell you I prefer one sound to another but another person might say they prefer the opposite. Sometimes you just gotta try phones for yourself.  Which is what I would recommend. 

I already have FX-850. Looking to upgrade. I asked about FX-1100 if its significant upgrade from FX850 for a fun type sound signature but if it is not then i would not mind giving DN-2K/J a try for a different sound signature to see if i like it. Would you recommend the new DN-2KJ over the old DN-2K ? Trying before buying is not possible here in India because they must be imported here. They are not available locally. Hope i am clear enough now.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #3,396 of 3,535

I already have FX-850. Looking to upgrade. I asked about FX-1100 if its significant upgrade from FX850 for a fun type sound signature but if it is not then i would not mind giving DN-2K/J a try for a different sound signature to see if i like it. Would you recommend the new DN-2KJ over the old DN-2K ? Trying before buying is not possible here in India because they must be imported here. They are not available locally. Hope i am clear enough now.

I understand your dilemma. I currently own DN-2000, 2000J and FX850 (my second), and I used to own FX1100.  

About a million pages back in this thread I gave my opinion on the FX1100 and I still feel the same: it is not an upgrade to the 850.  I instantly disliked it, and after a lot of A-Bing with the 850 I felt very clearly that for me the 1100 is not as good.  (It does have a nice cable, however.) I guess it appeals to some people - I have been told here that it is very popular with Japanese classical music audiophiles.

Frankly, I`d forget about trying to `upgrade` from the 850.  Similar to what someone else stated a few posts back, I feel it is TOTL - in its own category.  I`ve been through a parade of much much more expensive IEMs and while I like things like my UM Maverick, the UM Mason, JH Angie and Campfire Jupiter as much as the 850, there`s no avoiding the fact that none of them can do what the 850 does, and sometimes I just have to have it.  Whatever you get, you`ll still want the 850, and miss it if you sell it. 

If I were you I would go for a `side-grade` into a mulit-BA or hybrid, and keep the 850.

Speaking of hybrids, the DN-2000 and DN-2000J are radically different from each other in my opinion.  Of the two, the 2000 would be more similar (or less different) to the 850 than the 2000J.  The J is quite the detail monster, and super adjustable/modifiable.  It`s bass can be dazzlingly good, but different from the 850.  For similar price range to the 850, and as an interesting contrast to it, I would go for the 2000J.  

You might also consider the FLC8, or the Campfire Orion, as nice high quality contrasts to the 850.  

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #3,397 of 3,535

just my opinion.
the fx850 is already a very good iem. its a top tier already.
the fx1100 isnt an upgrade to the fx850, try reading back posts.
they are on the same league, the difference isnt night and day kind.

if you want to upgrade, try using amp dac like the OPPO ha2 on your set up, to improve the details and clarity of your music. :wink:
im using iphone 6 + oppo ha2 + fx850 as my set up. :)

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #3,398 of 3,535
I bought one from the classifieds a little while ago and they're my favorite headphones I've ever bought. I've owned a Sony MDR-SA5000, LCD2.2F, FAD Hope VI, and AKG k7XX, all run through a Grace x Massdrop m9XX. There's something amazing about this thing. My only problem is the fit of the spiral dot tips. The medium are slightly too small, the large are slightly too large. Due to the weight of the earphone, both of them start to hurt, but not so bad that I can't enjoy them. Also they sound pretty good through the m9XX but oddly, they sound just about as good out of my iphone 6S. I'm surprised at how slight the difference is. Anyone know of a good amp paring or are these good enough on their own?

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #3,401 of 3,535
I currently own the XBA H3 , looking for an iem with slightly different sound , as opposed to getting the A3.. Can anyone enlighten me regarding the H3 and FX850 , both unamped straight from mobile phone

Mar 19, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #3,402 of 3,535
I currently own the XBA H3 , looking for an iem with slightly different sound , as opposed to getting the A3.. Can anyone enlighten me regarding the H3 and FX850 , both unamped straight from mobile phone

These are actually quite similarly v-shaped in overall sound signature. The FX850 have less mid-bass and more deep-bass though, and more forward upper mids. The latter make them less smooth and more aggressive sounding. The FX850 are also easier to drive from a mobile phone, which makes them feel a little more dynamic. Isolation is lower than with the H3s though, something you might want to consider for mobile use.

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #3,405 of 3,535
  After a year of daily use/abuse at work the right side MMCX cable connection on my FX-850 has become intermittent where the cable meets the connector.  Does anybody have any recommended replacements?

Did you swap L and R to determine if the fault is with the cable, or with the ear piece ? Replacement MMCX cables are plentiful and cheap. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back