The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Aug 13, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #3,257 of 3,535
Hello guys, I'm still interested in the FX 850. I just bought & tried my 2nd IEM in the last week and the sound is still not quite right for me. Maybe you can read my review (here), and let me know if maybe I would like any of the FX series better, based on the review.

However one qualm I would have about these earphones is that they're said to be essentially an open-back earphone. I would use these for a public commute and out on the streets a lot, so I need noise isolation. Would you say that somehow that completely sealing the back of these would allow them to still sound any good, and help with the isolation? Thanks

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #3,258 of 3,535
  Hello guys, I'm still interested in the FX 850. I just bought & tried my 2nd IEM in the last week and the sound is still not quite right for me. Maybe you can read my review (here), and let me know if maybe I would like any of the FX series better, based on the review.

However one qualm I would have about these earphones is that they're said to be essentially an open-back earphone. I would use these for a public commute and out on the streets a lot, so I need noise isolation. Would you say that somehow that completely sealing the back of these would allow them to still sound any good, and help with the isolation? Thanks

Forget about them for commuting. I love my FX850 in quiet surroundings, but prefer $40 AKG Y23 to them for commuting.

No and no. They wouldn't sound good any more, and they'd still have low isolation, since they're also vented at the front.

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #3,259 of 3,535

I've no issue with isolation with these.

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #3,260 of 3,535
Listening to Steely Dan through iMac & RSA Intruder with my trusty 850's - they really are a gem of an IEM - There is a reason I keep these around...  

Tips make such a difference in how these sound - I had been using foams - now spending time with Spiral Dots - everything opens up...

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #3,261 of 3,535
The Spiral Dots have been a revelation for me. Ever since I discovered how good these tips are with my other IEMs. I pretty much use them on every Iem I have. I always end up buying extra boxes of the tips whenever I order anything from Japan.

Good to see guys rocking the FX850s. I keep mines around for the exact same reason. Gotta get some sessions in with them once in a while to remind me how great these are.

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #3,262 of 3,535
  Listening to Steely Dan through iMac & RSA Intruder with my trusty 850's - they really are a gem of an IEM - There is a reason I keep these around...  

Tips make such a difference in how these sound - I had been using foams - now spending time with Spiral Dots - everything opens up...

Nice to know. Where did u get the foam and spiral dots tips from ? Could you share the link ?
How about a comparison between JH16FP and the mighty JVC FX850 ?

Sep 16, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #3,265 of 3,535

finally after 5 weeks, the nocturnal cable is here. 4core silver.
workmanship is excellent. doesnt have a memory wire but uses the hear shrink sleeve to angle the cable at around 90 degress(see pic).

was surprised by teh increased soundstage after cable switch, low end is tightly too...initial impression is positive...

Not sure if it is too late but i've just become an owner of the 850 lately.
I've heard good stuff about Linum BaX many time in this thread but i just don't like how it looks.

I'm interested in the Norturnal cable instead mostly because of aesthetic reason (like how it looks).
May i ask about the weight and feeling of the cable? Is it lighter than stock cable?

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #3,266 of 3,535
  im a proud happy owner of these great IEM

to me they sound like the grado 325

blink.gif

blink.gif
blink.gif

I've owned the 325is and I can state that these JVC and the Grados can be compared as "some instruments that produce music to our ears", they have nothing else soundwise in common, nothing.
The Grados that resemble (if I'm allowed to use this word)
wink_face.gif
 more to the FX850, are the PS500, which I now own.

Honestly, do have a listen (if you can) to a pair of Denons HD-7000 and you can tell us your experience when compared to this iems.

Cheers.

Sep 16, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #3,267 of 3,535

blink.gif

blink.gif
blink.gif

I've owned the 325is and I can state that these JVC and the Grados can be compared as "some instruments that produce music to our ears", they have nothing else soundwise in common, nothing.
The Grados that resemble (if I'm allowed to use this word)
wink_face.gif
 more to the FX850, are the PS500, which I now own.

Honestly, do have a listen (if you can) to a pair of Denons HD-7000 and you can tell us your experience when compared to this iems.

Cheers.

maybe is the tips im using lol but to me they sound bright and i often hear they are dark sounding IEMS
i had  the ps 500 and didnt like them because they didnt have enough treble

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #3,268 of 3,535
maybe is the tips im using lol but to me they sound bright and i often hear they are dark sounding IEMS

Hi again,
If you're on the bright or clear side of the sonic spectrum, you should change your iems to something like the etymotics er4pt, Cardas EM5813... Those are more airy-bright sounding earphones...
The fx850 properly sealed in your ears are miles away from the sound you get from your Grados.

I'm more on the dark or bassier side, therefore that's why I sold my 325is, bought the PS500 and now fully enjoy these woodie gems.

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #3,270 of 3,535
I think these are far from bright, you must try a bigger ear tip. if they don't make a seal in your ear you will not get the bass. Mine have thunderous bass and sound frekin amazing with my Ipod touch/HA2 using Tidal!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back