The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Aug 5, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #3,241 of 3,535
  Sounds like a winner. I understand this is basically an open-earphone, so about how much would you say the noise isolation is? On a plane, train, etc. does it still cut out much of the background noise?

And does this earphone scale very well with portable amps like the Fiio x5 DAC/amp?

I actually pulled out my FX850 last night and used it with the X5 and E12A combo.  Sound was awesome.  Isolation is borderline poor though and this earphone packs a lot of bass.  Fortunately, midrange and the highs are not forsaken from it.  To this day, this is one of the most enjoyable earphones I've ever owned.  I've also been using a pure silver cable which helps to tighten that bass up.  I also think the Dunu DN2000J could be what you're after.  That is one of the best earphones I've ever heard, period. 

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #3,243 of 3,535
I actually pulled out my FX850 last night and used it with the X5 and E12A combo.  Sound was awesome.  Isolation is borderline poor though and this earphone packs a lot of bass.  Fortunately, midrange and the highs are not forsaken from it.  To this day, this is one of the most enjoyable earphones I've ever owned.  I've also been using a pure silver cable which helps to tighten that bass up.  I also think the Dunu DN2000J could be what you're after.  That is one of the best earphones I've ever heard, period. 

@DannyBai

Mind sharing which silver cable and where you got yours. Thanks in advance.

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #3,245 of 3,535
Hey Leo,

Cable is robust but soft. Very nice quality.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/C0-Pure-Silver-Cable-For-Shure-se215-se315-se425-se535-Se846-UE900-Earphone-/251885207411?nav=SEARCH

@BannyBai

Thanks for the link. Really robust by the look of it. The cable looks bulky and heavy compared to the stock cable. Did you feel that it add any weight to the housing when in use. Thanks again.

Aug 6, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #3,246 of 3,535
@BannyBai

Thanks for the link. Really robust by the look of it. The cable looks bulky and heavy compared to the stock cable. Did you feel that it add any weight to the housing when in use. Thanks again.

It does add some weight and is bulkier but the bulk is below the Y-split so I doesn't pull the earphones out of your ears. Definitely wouldn't jog with them though. I can go for walks without issue. Here a couple of pics so you have a better idea.

Aug 6, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #3,247 of 3,535
It does add some weight and is bulkier but the bulk is below the Y-split so I doesn't pull the earphones out of your ears. Definitely wouldn't jog with them though. I can go for walks without issue. Here a couple of pics so you have a better idea.

Thanks for the thoughts DannyBai, appreciate it.

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #3,250 of 3,535
Hello guys, I've been reading the two FX 850 threads for a bit now, and I want to see if this is about accurate for the general consensus:

The 650 has not enough bass and 700 is too boomy. The 850 sounds very good across the board but too much mid-bass, which can be modded. The 1100 has too much bass even for a basshead.

So I was thinking to get the 850 and use the j444 mod to reduce the bass with the silicon in the front - but as I'll be using this on the go, it seems this may reduce the noise isolation too much?

Anyway here's my question: which earphone would you recommend to me: The FX 650, FX 850, Dunu DN 2000, or maybe the [COLOR=222222]T-PEOS Altone 200 or Atomic Floyd Mini Darts?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Here are the sound preferences I'm seeking:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Detailed in all frequencies (borderlining analytical) with good sub-bass and treble extension yet fairly flat (accurate bass but non-basshead) and at least a moderately good soundstage.[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]Any advice would be helpful! Thanks![/COLOR]

I love my FX850, but I'm not sure that it fits your requirements. It is definitely not analytical or flat. It has a very organic sound, but it is warm and dark. It still does a great job of revealing details though.

Aug 11, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #3,252 of 3,535
  Hello guys, I've been reading the two FX 850 threads for a bit now, and I want to see if this is about accurate for the general consensus:

The 650 has not enough bass and 700 is too boomy. The 850 sounds very good across the board but too much mid-bass, which can be modded. The 1100 has too much bass even for a basshead.

So I was thinking to get the 850 and use the j444 mod to reduce the bass with the silicon in the front - but as I'll be using this on the go, it seems this may reduce the noise isolation too much?

Anyway here's my question: which earphone would you recommend to me: The FX 650, FX 850, Dunu DN 2000, or maybe the T-PEOS Altone 200 or Atomic Floyd Mini Darts?

Here are the sound preferences I'm seeking:
Detailed in all frequencies (borderlining analytical) with good sub-bass and treble extension yet fairly flat (accurate bass but non-basshead) and at least a moderately good soundstage. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

Luv my FX750s... at around 225 listening hours now.

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #3,253 of 3,535
Hi guys, 

I noticed there was some talk on replacement cables earlier, and I was hoping I could get some help with a similar issue. My FX-850's cable got busted. I had it in my pocket for a while, took it out and found out the cable connector had broken off of one ear and detached. The earphones themselves seem perfectly fine, so I'm trying to get a replacement/replacement cable.

Is there any chance of me getting a replacement from JVC as it's still under warranty? If not, has anyone managed to  get their cable replaced? Please let me know where I can get one and what specs to look out for. I read Mochill's story of how his earphones got messed up from an upgrade, so I'm trying to avoid that. Thanks!

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #3,255 of 3,535
  Hi guys, 

I noticed there was some talk on replacement cables earlier, and I was hoping I could get some help with a similar issue. My FX-850's cable got busted. I had it in my pocket for a while, took it out and found out the cable connector had broken off of one ear and detached. The earphones themselves seem perfectly fine, so I'm trying to get a replacement/replacement cable.

Is there any chance of me getting a replacement from JVC as it's still under warranty? If not, has anyone managed to  get their cable replaced? Please let me know where I can get one and what specs to look out for. I read Mochill's story of how his earphones got messed up from an upgrade, so I'm trying to avoid that. Thanks!

You can use any cable with MMCX connectors with the FX850.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back