The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Apr 27, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #3,016 of 3,535
Thanks Woodyluvr and Koolpep. I am waiting for amazon UK to answer my question related to if the shipping weight means only the seller's package or the seller's + Amazon's ones. I also need  to find out about a threshold of 500gr. According to Tenso, the fee structure is based on weight and kind of delivery, what it is very clear and progressive:  http://www.tenso.com/en/static/guide_fee_index , where I have inputed  the UK as delivery destination.

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #3,017 of 3,535
  Hi, everyone, I have just bought the 750 using amazon.jp + tenso. Happy till now, however, I have a discrepancy about their weight. The parcel is now at Tenso waiting for me to finishing the delivery process. According to Amazon the 'shipping weight' is 259gr but at Tenso, my account it states 500gr. Has anyone suffered for the same problem using Tenso? I believe that this reforwading company uses the fees according solely on weight and kind of delivery. I think they are cheating me. I have only contacted amazon, here in UK, to know exactly what 'shipping weight' mean. If it is included amazon own wrap on top of the  the JVC original package. I need to know a little bit more before writing Tenso. Any help welcome.

I`ve shipped lots of  FX850 and FX1100 around the world from Japan by EMS and they will cost around $20USD.  They are both heavier than the 750.

How much is Tenso charging for shipping? 

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #3,018 of 3,535
Dear Dopaminer, I do not yet, because the only thing I checked is that the parcel weighs 500gr. I have bought another item, not related... a gift for my mother,  from amazon.jp too and I am planning to consolidate them in one box. 

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #3,019 of 3,535
Well I got an answer from amazon UK, and it states.. I quote: 'Please be informed that the weights including the item and total packaging'. And this is exactly what I presumed... knowing that the earphones' weight, without lead, are +- 11gr each. From a couple of grams to 500gr there could be that the parcel is made from premium wenge wood...

Apr 27, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #3,020 of 3,535
  Well I got an answer from amazon UK, and it states.. I quote: 'Please be informed that the weights including the item and total packaging'. And this is exactly what I presumed... knowing that the earphones' weigh, without lead, are +- 10gr each. From a couple of grams to 500gr there could be that the parcel is made from premium wenge wood... carved with my name... sorry I am being ironic/sarcastic.

I think Amazon.jp are wrong with their weight assuming that 'total' packaging doesn't just mean JVC's product packaging - the response you quoted is slightly unclear on this. To me it sounds like they are quoting the product weight on the website with no allowance for shipping materials. 

Dopaminer recently shipped a pair of FX850 to me. The 850's come with a relatively weighty carry case (same one they use for the FX750 I think) and in a fairly sturdy outer box so the weight does start to add up pretty quickly. Ignoring the shipping box / bubble wrap he used the FX850 in its product packaging weighs approx. 260g according to my scales. Whilst the FX750 is meant to be a bit smaller / lighter I assume we are likely only talking a few grams all told?

Adding in the shipping box takes the weight to approx. 530g so I think it's safe to say that Tenso are being completely honest with you when they say the parcel they received weighs 500g.

Apr 27, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #3,021 of 3,535
Hi jellofund, according to amazon.jp the 650's 'shipping weight' is 191g; the 750, as mentioned above, 259g; the 850 268g and the top one 1100  272g. Having said that, you are right because you have the product already so there is not ground for further discussion. Amazon UK's answer must be wrong then and the key here is the carrying  case+ premium box and their extra weight due to the very nature of it... to protect the IEMs. Thank you very much for your help. 

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #3,022 of 3,535
  Hi jellofund, according to amazon.jp the 650's 'shipping weight' is 191g; the 750, as mentioned above, 259g; the 850 268g and the top one 1100  272g. having said that you must be right because you have the product already so there is not ground for speculation. Amazon UK must be wrong then and the key here is the carry case and its extra weight due to the very nature of it... to protect the IEMs. Thank you very much for the interest. 

That's not a problem.

To be honest I've noticed a similar discrepancy with weights on Amazon UK with a product I was returning. They quoted something like 400g for the item on the site and the same on the return label for the courier. Actual parcel was about 700g once packed up (using Amazon's box / brown packing paper) so who knows how that works....maybe they are as creative with their shipping costs as they are with their taxes
wink.gif

The JVC case is quite weighty (approx. 85g) but does offer excellent protection. Have to say I'm bowled over with just how good the FX850 sound and hopefully you'll be equally pleased with your FX750 when you get them - enjoy!

beerchug.gif

edit: and 268g is probably about right for the FX850. I'm using a Linum Bax cable (quite a bit lighter than the stock one) so that probably explains the discrepancy in my weight vs Amazon's.

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #3,023 of 3,535
Thanks again jellofund, I chose the 750 because I will use them mainly outdoors, walking or MTB,  and there size and comfort  matters. Another thing is that I am living by the sea and being them made from wood, crucially the driver,  I think that I will misuse them due to the humidity... so if I break down or impair  them I will buy another pair, new generation, in the future.
If in need of choosing them for only indoors use I would have probably bought  the 850 or 1100. But for that I have a hi-fi system  in my room. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #3,025 of 3,535
I am enjoying these for a week now. But i have to say this even though i love the sound of these but i still love the sound of vmoda m100's. May be due to full size on ear design they are more comfortable and i dont have to worry abt the seal all the time. Also vmoda improve a lot when paired with jds labc5 amp and i dont see any improvement when i use woodies with c5. May be i am missing something. I am not complaing here but i guess i am too comfy with m100's. The thing is i dont like to carry full size headphones everywhere so they perfectly replace vmodas when i am out Of my home.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #3,026 of 3,535
Also vmoda improve a lot when paired with jds labc5 amp and i dont see any improvement when i use woodies with c5. May be i am missing something.

The FX850s are just more efficient at 16 ohms / 
106 dB/1 mW​
 than your Vmodas at 32 ohms / 103 dB/1mW and coupled with their extraordinary drivers it really is no surprise that you are not seeing a performance increase when plugged into the C5.

May be due to full size on ear design they are more comfortable and i dont have to worry abt the seal all the time. I am not complaing here but i guess i am too comfy with m100's. The thing is i dont like to carry full size headphones everywhere so they perfectly replace vmodas when i am out Of my home.

If I wasn't such a heavy traveler working in austere locations and listened to more music when home I would definitely be owning and wearing a pair of over the ear headphones like HiFiMan HE-500s (very similar sound signature to the FX750/850s) juiced by a nice amp... as they would be far more comfortable and provide a much improved listening experience.  But I am highly mobile and actually spend more time listening to music while away from home so the JVC HA-FX750s fit the bill perfectly, don't require an amp, and have in fact completely replaced my Shure SE535LTD-Js which were nice but not fun... they were too monitor-like (too analytical/critical) for my taste and definitely not as comfortable.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #3,027 of 3,535
Hi jellofund, after complaining about the answer that I got on Amazon UK about the 'shipping weight', I got this email from Amazon JP:

Greetings from Amazon.co.jp. 

We are sorry but "発送重量 (Shipping Weight)" on our website is just a point of reference. 

Therefore, if there were difference between "発送重量 (Shipping Weight)" on our website and actual shipping weight, we would not bear full responsibility for that. 

In addition, we have investigated and confirmed the shipping weight of your order (*********3371015) was approximately 0.5 kg. 

We are sorry for this inconvenience and thank you for your understanding. 

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact us at any time. 

You are able to contact us via following URL; 

We appreciate your understanding and hope to see you again at Amazon.co.jp.

Best regards,

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #3,029 of 3,535
  I have the 850. what are IEMs which are considered an upgrade over these?

The 750s...

LOL.  But seriously there are many on this forum that prefer the SQ of the 750s over the 850s and 1200s (1100s) including myself.  I went to buy the 1200s based on all the rave reviews but when I demoed the entire FX Woody Line I preferred and ended up buying the 750s instead.

The JVC Woody line is very unique and I don't think the ie80 or even the ie800 offer the same type of bass, sound stage, and timbre as the Woodys.  The closest would probably be Dunu DN1k/2k or Yamaha EPH100 but they lack the clarity, sound-stage, and timbre of the JVCs.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #3,030 of 3,535
^ Ditto, I liked 750 over 850 and 1100. Not by much, and the 850 and 1100 also had their strengths over the 750 in sound stage, but overall I liked the balance of the 750 best, plus it's also the most comfortable model by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back