The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jan 17, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #2,641 of 3,535
Okay so my 850's came today and I'm having trouble getting a good seal with them. How the hell do these things fit in your ears?!

I appreciate they have an angled nozzle but I just can't seem to get a good fit, no matter what tip I use..

The comply tips tend to soften up quite a bit with time.  Pick one that's a little bit too large and they'll probably fit you better in a few days as the heat and pressure start to conform their shape.

Glad to report that I'm also a proud FX850 owner.  Out of the box my pair was too bright on the treble range but they've mellowed considerably after burn-in.  Just love the way these HPs look (& and sound)!

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #2,642 of 3,535
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! the left one seems to fit with the medium tip and the right one with the large tip (JVC Spiral). This is so weird as i have never encountered this problem before :')

Maybe my ears will get used to them eventually, used to find my Superdarts uncomfortable but they're comfortable as anything now!

Will give these babies some burn in time and then give my impressions and a review :)

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #2,643 of 3,535
I've been reading about the Duoza, CKR9, CKR10, Dunu DN1000, Dunu Titan 1 and the JVC offerings. I'm looking for a 'keeper' which sounds great with downtempo, electronica and ....... Pink Floyd. I like to hear the bassline in some PF tracks, the sparkle and imagining and soundstage.  I love my JVC DX700 and AKG Q701, but looking for an in ear for travelling through the day. I have to Narmoo S1, which I've enjoyed greatly, so good for the price, but a criticism would be that it gets slightly congested with complex passages of music. Looking to upgrade. 

Will the JVCs be up my street? Would the HA FX750 or FX850 suit my tastes in music? Obviously, the cheaper the better.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #2,644 of 3,535
  I've been reading about the Duoza, CKR9, CKR10, Dunu DN1000, Dunu Titan 1 and the JVC offerings. I'm looking for a 'keeper' which sounds great with downtempo, electronica and ....... Pink Floyd. I like to hear the bassline in some PF tracks, the sparkle and imagining and soundstage.  I love my JVC DX700 and AKG Q701, but looking for an in ear for travelling through the day. I have to Narmoo S1, which I've enjoyed greatly, so good for the price, but a criticism would be that it gets slightly congested with complex passages of music. Looking to upgrade. 

Will the JVCs be up my street? Would the HA FX750 or FX850 suit my tastes in music? Obviously, the cheaper the better.

I haven't heard all of the earphones you have listed, but I have done extensive research and read many reviews. I can tell you for sure that you would love the FX850. It is literally everything you described. It is one of those IEMs where you just don't need more. Sure you can buy more expensive earphones that are more refined. But I never find myself wishing the FX850 was better at anything, it is perfect. It will make any electronic music sound amazeballs! The wooden timbre will make Pink Floyd sound oh so natural while retaining that little it of sparkle in the highs. The bass line will be articulated perfectly! If you'd like post a couple of songs that you love and I can tell you exactly how they sound in the FX850.

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #2,645 of 3,535

When you asy "for travelling", do you mean like in a train or bus ? The FX 850 does not isolate well, you cannot use them in a noisy atmosphere.

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #2,646 of 3,535
  I haven't heard all of the earphones you have listed, but I have done extensive research and read many reviews. I can tell you for sure that you would love the FX850. It is literally everything you described. It is one of those IEMs where you just don't need more. Sure you can buy more expensive earphones that are more refined. But I never find myself wishing the FX850 was better at anything, it is perfect. It will make any electronic music sound amazeballs! The wooden timbre will make Pink Floyd sound oh so natural while retaining that little it of sparkle in the highs. The bass line will be articulated perfectly! If you'd like post a couple of songs that you love and I can tell you exactly how they sound in the FX850.

Thanks! Maybe it'll be the FX850. For example, PF's 'One of these days' and 'Any colour you like'. I've bought and sold a few IEMs in the past years, but I've not bought an 'expensive' pair since ACS T15, which I liked a lot but lacked the musicality and punch of a dynamic driver. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #2,647 of 3,535
  When you asy "for travelling", do you mean like in a train or bus ? The FX 850 does not isolate well, you cannot use them in a noisy atmosphere.

For use on the train, walking (I walk about two hours a day) and sitting at my desk. It doesn't need to have Etymotic standards of isolation but more than the Phiaton PS210 is required, they didn't isolate enough. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #2,648 of 3,535
  For use on the train, walking (I walk about two hours a day) and sitting at my desk. It doesn't need to have Etymotic standards of isolation but more than the Phiaton PS210 is required, they didn't isolate enough. 

Cannot use it on a train. Also for walks, if you are walking in a park then that's fine, but if  walking next to a nosiy street you will hear the street noises, unless you pump the volume up really high , which is not recommended.

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #2,649 of 3,535

Thanks! Maybe it'll be the FX850. For example, PF's 'One of these days' and 'Any colour you like'. I've bought and sold a few IEMs in the past years, but I've not bought an 'expensive' pair since ACS T15, which I liked a lot but lacked the musicality and punch of a dynamic driver. 

This is my first time owning a $300 pair of earphones, so I was very nervous about buying them. I was so worried about not liking them, but they blew my mind right out of the box! The burn-in is working wonders. I know modding them is a very common thing, but I would really try to enjoy them in their stock form for a good while before attempting the mods. Unless you don't like warmth that is...

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #2,654 of 3,535
  FX850 dosnt isolate too good.But i listen them in subway with some nose around .If you turn your volume up you will be fine =))

I won't recommend long term listening with the volume turned up more than required. I have abused my hearing in my younger days, have mild tinnitus in left ear because of that.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #2,655 of 3,535
 FX850 dosnt isolate too good.But i listen them in subway with some nose around .If you turn your volume up you will be fine =))

I won't recommend long term listening with the volume turned up more than required. I have abused my hearing in my younger days, have mild tinnitus in left ear because of that.

I am sorry to hear this and am worried about myself because I definitely listen to music at a volume loud enough that the low isolations of the FX850 does not bother me at all... Would you say I am listening to music too loud? Also, does tinnitus come gradually or does it come instantly? Wondering whether I have already damaged my ear or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back