The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Dec 26, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #2,431 of 3,535

Not sure, I got from Amazon from this seller Ace Japan.

this seller has good rating, should be genuine. I was using IE800 extensively from past one week. Probably need to take two days break and try JVC one's.  

You getting it from Amazon jp and using forwarding service or one of those seller on Amazon us? I am on the fence between these and ie80.

I got it from Amazon US itself, Ace Japan does not have it now. But it is 280$ now from other seller, check it out

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4KPBF2/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #2,432 of 3,535
  FX850 "j444 mod" version 2

This is a refinement of the earlier described j444 mod. In addition to the original mod, modification of the back vent makes it even more effective.

Q: Why even mod the FX850? They're perfect as is / perfect after xyz hour of burn-in / perfect with the xyz cable.
A: Why even bother to read this post? By all means, stay with what you think is perfect.
Q: Ok, they're maybe a tiiiny bit warm / bassy on certain songs. I understand this mod reduces bass, but is it safe?
A: I obviously can't accept responsibility, so try it at your own risk. That said, I've been doing similar mods for quite a long time and never encountered an issue.
Q: Ok, and what if I end up not liking it?
A: This mod is completely reversible.

What this mod does:

To make it short, JVC's drivers are the best dynamics I've heard to date, but in my book the overly bassy / warm tuning of their IEMs doesn't bring out the best in them.

FX850 stock frequency response:

The j444 mod v2 attenuates bass and balances out the sound signature. It consists of modifications at the FX850's front and backside, which may be implemented separately or together. (Apart from bass, there's also a slight effect on treble, which has been left out in the following illustrations.)

Effect of front-mod:

Explanation: the front-mod adds a tiny amount of front leakage which avoids over-pressurization in the ear canal and reduces bass quantity. Attenuation is a bit stronger in deep bass than in mid/upper bass, resulting in a bass-lighter, but slightly more mid-bassy signature. Because of the leakage, isolation is slightly reduced.

Effect of back-mod:

Explanation: the back-mod restricts airflow through the back vent, resulting mainly in mid/upper bass attenuation. Deep bass remains unchanged and strong. Due to partial blocking of the back vent, isolation is slightly increased.

Combined effect of front and back-mod:

Explanation: the combination of front and back-mod yields the largest amount of bass attenuation and results in a significantly more balanced signature than stock.

(Disclaimer: these curves are just rough estimates based on listening tests.)

Step by step instructions for the front-mod:

(this is identical to j444 mod v1)

Step 1: Find some surplus tips made of thin silicone, e.g. Sony hybrid tips.

Step 2: Cut off a small stripe, about 1x7mm.

Step 3: This is the tricky part. Place the stripe alongside the nozzle, so that it protrudes about 1mm at the front end. Hold it carefully in place with your fingertip as you mount the silicone tip.

Step 4: Check the result - it should look like this from the outside.

Step 5: Check the result - it should look like this on the inside. Make sure that the stripe protrudes only a tiny bit at the edge of the nozzle, or else it will diffuse the sound.

Step by step instructions for the back-mod:

Step 1: Find a thin drinking straw of 5mm (or slightly less) diameter.

Step 2: Cut off two slices of 2-3mm width. Thinner slices will result in a more inconspicuous mod, but make it harder to undo.

Step 3: Carefully widen the slices until they fit the back vent. The thin plastic will thin out further in some spots, which is intended to retain airflow.

Step 4: Use your fingers (and an optional plastic pen) to gently push the slice into the vent. Do not use metal tools to avoid scratching the earpiece.

Step 5: The completed back-mod should look like this:

Step 6: Listen to a track with drums and/or bass. You should hear a pronounced bass attenuation vs. stock, but dynamics should still sound natural and lifelike.
If you feel that dynamics are badly lacking, chances are that the back vent is completely blocked. In that case, repeat the mod with a thinner / smaller drinking straw.

If you like the sound you're hearing, then you've successfully completed the "j444 mod v2" http://files.head-

fi.org/images/smilies/smile_phones.gif

Modding the FX1100:

The FX1100 are different from the FX850, in that they have even more mid/upper bass and warmth. Therefore an even larger restriction of airflow at the back vent is needed, in order to achieve a balanced sound signature.

While the front-mod is the same as for the FX850, you'll need to find a slightly larger straw for the back-mod, which will fit the vent without the need for widening. This means that Step 3 of the back-mod is not desired for the FX1100, but everything else is the same as for the FX850.

(left: straw for FX1100, right: straw for FX850)

Fully (back and front) modded FX850 and FX1100:

Ratings (provisional):

I've only been listening to the v2-modded FX850 and FX1100 for a few days, so this section may be subject to change.

In stock form, I'd take the FX850 over the FX1100 any day. The latter's overly warm and somewhat congested tuning is a bit of a mess imo. However, the FX1100 have slightly more potential than the FX850, because of smoother and more refined treble, a smidgen better mids presence and a tad tighter bass. Subjectively speaking, the j444 mod v2 is a huge improvement for both phones, but it vaults the FX1100 from the undoubtedly worse stock phone even slightly ahead of the modded FX850. Therefore my personal ranking from better to worse reads as follows:

FX1100 (modded) > FX850 (modded) >> FX850 (stock) > FX1100 (stock)

Edit (1/4/15):

Modding the FX750:

Interestingly, the back-mod doesn't do much on them, which suggests that the stock FX750 have already more rear-damping with less airflow than the stock FX850 and FX1100. I recommend skipping the back-mod on the FX750 altogether.

However, the front-mod does a great job of attenuating bass impact, so I recommend performing just the front-mod on the FX750.

Listening to the modded FX750/850/1100 side by side, I feel like the FX850/1100's larger drivers sound noticeably better (more detailed / refined) overall. Their advantage in sound quality over the FX750 strikes me as more pronounced on the modded phones than when comparing all three IEMs in stock form.

Edit (1/10/15):

Other IEMs that benefit from the front-mod (imo): KEF M200, Zero Audio Carbo Tenore, IE8 (set bass dial to max!)

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #2,433 of 3,535
Just not got fx850, initial impression is..............not impressed :blink:

nothing for me to be excited about, bass are good, but I feel IE800 is much better. Currently burning them for next two days, will try again after that.

when I got mine I actuallu prefer e im70 over it. 850 is overly warm. But it does grows on u(I believe in burn in but to a limited extend...say 8 hr a day for a week...but not 500hrs kind). It is a kinda like do everything right not not exceeding in any specific department type of iem. Ie800 sounds addictive right from start I think partly due to its more in e face presentation. Both of them r great dynamic iem.

Switch from e spiral to a triple flange u get a more ie800 sound. Put on a foam tip on e ie800 u will get e 850 sound.
Its e extreme that each will be different. E.g a triple flange on e ie will be a clean lean sounda beyond fx n a foam tip 850 will be super warmth n thick beyond e ie800.

both r great but fx price is of better value.

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #2,434 of 3,535
@james444 thanks for sharing the mods

@surge thanks for sharing wonderful info on tips.

I have high hops on these JVC one, after reading lot of positives. I got them as my endgame in IEM's, so after initial disappointment I have decided not use them before 100hrs of burnin. Will do 10 hrs per day and check them after 10 days.

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #2,435 of 3,535
  @james444 thanks for sharing the mods

@surge thanks for sharing wonderful info on tips.

I have high hops on these JVC one, after reading lot of positives. I got them as my endgame in IEM's, so after initial disappointment I have decided not use them before 100hrs of burnin. Will do 10 hrs per day and check them after 10 days.

The warmness of the JVC are a bit of a shock if you're used to the clarity of the IE800 (or JH13, or similar). But give it some time, and burn in both the set and your ears- as you get used to it you'll hear that it's a textured warmth with lots of detail in the bass. They manage to do this without sacrificing treble detail or the presence of the mids, although because of the warmness they'll seem initially a tad masked.

Also try the mods; and EQ. You'll see that you have a lot to work with here- these are very technically proficient IEMs.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #2,436 of 3,535
  ....burn in both the set and your ears- as you get used to it you'll hear that it's a textured warmth with lots of detail in the bass. They manage to do this without sacrificing treble detail or the presence of the mids......

+ O N E  ! 

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #2,437 of 3,535
Just got my fx850 and after 24hrs burnin, compared to my sony 7550 they have a similar dynamic signature and but the JVC have more resolution.   But so far the 850 are nowhere near the clarity and musicality(emotion) of the FAD Heaven V.   Again this is probably due to lack of burnin and dynamic vs BA, so I'm going for 200hrs plus.   (For me I'm not interesting in modding, it either is or isn't).

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #2,438 of 3,535

The more I'm listening to my j444 v2-modded FX850s and 1100s, the more I think that both sound damn awesome. During a recent meet with two fellow head-fiers, I had the opportunity to directly A/B the v1-modded and v2-modded 850. It's amazing how effective v2 works in pushing excessive warmth down towards an almost analytical sound signature, while still retaining enough fun to avoid an overly clinical sound.

And I was one of them. Thanks James444 for letting me try the new JVC FX1100s. I agree with your findings.

In stock the Fx1100 exhibit a strong mid bass boost - too much to my liking. I found bass to be more precise overall compared to the 850s, which I like, but in terms of quantity it's way too much. Apart from the bass they sounded a bit fuller and smoother to me than the FX850s. I would call them a bit more refined with more rolled off highs compared to the 850s. With both of James' mods applied the 1100s become very balanced and smooth sounding - I preferred them over the both the stock and modded 850s.
The mods decrease pressure on the ear drums which I found to be a good thing - both the 850s and 1100s in stock can hit really hard on bass heavy tracks whichs I honestly never liked. I use Viper4Android's EQ a lot but in a short comparision heavy EQing did not bring the same good results as the mods.

I believe the modded 1100s are one of the finest sounding IEMs on the market today and I would have bought them immediately if they had been priced closer to the 850s.
I am not convinced they are worth almost the double price of the 850s but soundwise, if I could choose between unmodded/modded 850s and 1100s, I would easily pick the modded 1100s.
For now I will not jump on the 1100 train immediately - I will wait for prices to fall a bit, and then ...
Just my 5 Cents
wink.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #2,439 of 3,535
  I believe the modded 1100s are one of the finest sounding IEMs on the market today and I would have bought them immediately if they had been priced closer to the 850s.
I am not convinced they are worth almost the double price of the 850s but soundwise, if I could choose between unmodded/modded 850s and 1100s, I would easily pick the modded 1100s.
For now I will not jump on the 1100 train immediately - I will wait for prices to fall a bit, and then ...
Just my 5 Cents
wink.gif

Thanks for chiming in, zachgraz. I agree on everything said, including the bolded part. The modded 1100s are better, but not worth double price.

That being said, if more people end up buying the 850s after having compared both in stock form, the 1100s will probably come down in price pretty soon.
wink.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #2,441 of 3,535
Hi,
I've just ordered  a pair of beyers t51i on amazon (lighting deal), but I don't really need them if the sound quality isn't at least similar or better than the 850, anyone had the chance to compare them?
Thanks!

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #2,442 of 3,535

The more I'm listening to my j444 v2-modded FX850s and 1100s, the more I think that both sound damn awesome. During a recent meet with two fellow head-fiers, I had the opportunity to directly A/B the v1-modded and v2-modded 850. It's amazing how effective v2 works in pushing excessive warmth down towards an almost analytical sound signature, while still retaining enough fun to avoid an overly clinical sound.

Quote:

And I was one of them. Thanks James444 for letting me try the new JVC FX1100s. I agree with your findings.

In stock the Fx1100 exhibit a strong mid bass boost - too much to my liking. I found bass to be more precise overall compared to the 850s, which I like, but in terms of quantity it's way too much. Apart from the bass they sounded a bit fuller and smoother to me than the FX850s. I would call them a bit more refined with more rolled off highs compared to the 850s. With both of James' mods applied the 1100s become very balanced and smooth sounding - I preferred them over the both the stock and modded 850s.
The mods decrease pressure on the ear drums which I found to be a good thing - both the 850s and 1100s in stock can hit really hard on bass heavy tracks whichs I honestly never liked. I use Viper4Android's EQ a lot but in a short comparision heavy EQing did not bring the same good results as the mods.

Just my 5 Cents
wink.gif

I was the other lucky one, who was able to experience james' modding-mastery first hand, @james444 thanks dude!
Normally I use my fx850 with the j444-v1 mod.. at the meeting I was able to listen to the fx850 and fx1100 in stock form and with all of james' mod-variations.

I am still not sure which of all the variations I like the best, but definitely prefer the fx850 over the fx1100, modded or unmodded, due to more energy in the music with the fx850.
the modded(v1&v2-mod!) fx1100 definitely sounded smoother and more refined compared to the modded fx850. The stock fx1100 is a total desaster (bass bloat all over the place), can't believe the jvc-people let this thing out to the market, it really sounds like an unfinished product, especially at that price....who knows, maybe they were tired and thought "****** it, james will mod it anyway, so why waste time tuning this thing"

As I prefer the energetic sound of the fx850, the fx1100 was to relaxed for my taste. So the fx850 vs fx1100 battle was an easy one for me.
Now that the fx1100 was ruled out, the more difficult part was deciding upon which of the two mods I prefer more on my fx850.
I am mostly focused on the vocal parts when listening to music and thought the mods v1 & v2 do a very good job in clearing up the space around vocals and improve transparency on the fx850.... which is a good thing, however I also found out at the meeting that I like the warmness and fullness the fx850 brings to vocals, so I am thinking of leaving just one mod on the fx850 (still didn't decide which one of the two) because both mods at the same time make the fx850 to neutral for my tastes.
However if you like neutrality and clarity then go for both mods combined.   

Btw I also swapped the fx850 cable with the Sony H3 cable and think that this H3-cable also improves the sound to my liking (better transparency, comfort and soundstage, clearer mids, and less U-shape). The changes are subtle but still very enjoyable. If anybody has this combination, I would be glad to hear what you are thinking, cause I am still not sure if it is just my imagination, as I normally don't believe in cables. 

Right now I am listening to the fx850 with j444-v1 mod with the H3-cable and these things just screwing ROCK!
awesome sound for $200 :) 

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2,443 of 3,535
Just got my fx850 and after 24hrs burnin, compared to my sony 7550 they have a similar dynamic signature and but the JVC have more resolution.   But so far the 850 are nowhere near the clarity and musicality(emotion) of the FAD Heaven V.   Again this is probably due to lack of burnin and dynamic vs BA, so I'm going for 200hrs plus.   (For me I'm not interesting in modding, it either is or isn't).

@soundbear.
Are you able to make a summary of the differences between the 850 vs Heaven 5. I know they sound different but would like to get more thoughts from you and fellow members who have both. Right now I'm debating on the Heaven V or Heaven Vi/Vii if budget allows me.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #2,444 of 3,535
Just bought all three, FX650, FX750, FX850, might even buy the FX1100 if I like the first three enough 
wink.gif

I figured the FX650 would be better than the bigger brothers for wearing around as its smaller and has more isolation (has much smaller rear vent), and I was curious as to the differences between the 750 and 850. All impressions I have read all conclude: the 750 has tighter better bass than 850, still huge in amount just less bloated, the 750 also has more mid range and more treble, so more mids is good thing, more treble is bad, but can eq that down easily. Other than these frequency balance differences, the 850 is said to have better sound stage and separation. The 650 has a well balanced presentation, but due to smaller driver has less detail and separation etc. Will be cool to have the three woodies.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #2,445 of 3,535
  Just bought all three, FX650, FX750, FX850, might even buy the FX1100 if I like the first three enough 
wink.gif

I figured the FX650 would be better than the bigger brothers for carrying wearing around, and I was curious as to the differences between the 750 and 850. All impressions so far go like: apparently the 750 has tighter better bass than 850 but still huge in amount, the 750 also has more mid range and more treble, so more mids is good, more treble is bad, but can eq that down. Other than these frequency balance differences, the 850 is said to have better sound stage and separation. Will be cool to have the three woodies.

So that's what you did with my money- can't say it's a bad choice! LOL. You seem to like all the same IEMs I like- H8P, W60, FX850... Try the mods and/or EQ on the 850. PS, I thought you would have gone for a better home setup, like the HE6 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back