The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Dec 14, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,311 of 3,535
Latest from AmazonJP on the order I placed on 11/12 is that the FX850 will be back in stock:   Delivery Date: 2014-12-25 - 2015-01-26.(that's to my Tenso address)   But I got them for around $220 total, so the wait is worth it, I guess.   I did tell them that I knew some very important people from Singapore, Hawaii, India, For We Are Many, and Love's Secret Domain and Amazon said they didn't know about the last 2 countries, but would try to get them out faster.    Hey, if I keep up posting like this I could beat the fastest record for becoming a Headphoneus Supremus and know absolutely nothing to back it up
wink_face.gif

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #2,312 of 3,535
I dont consider them bright but i dont think they are really lacking in the treble either. Its just on the smoother side.

Yea, but ur used to dat huge treble. :p
I don't know what you're listening to these days but the upper treble peak on the 1p2 was quite something.

How does the balance compare with the HD600 (my classical reference)? I'm looking for something with more coherence than the DN-1000s (impressive and fun, but too V-shaped), better bass extension and dynamics than the Heaven Vs, but as much of their electrostatic-like midrange as possible...:)

It would also be great if they weren't too sensitive, so that I can use them with my hissy but wonderful Elekit portable tube amp!

They would be used in the following setups:

Hifiman HM-650 with Minibox card

Hifiman HM-601LE with Elekit TU-HP01

I think the FX850 might be your ticket. Enough increased bass amplitude to give the perception of better extension and weight, especially at the subbass. IMO the dynamics on the HV are top notch and the FX850 is one of the few IEMs I've heard that can keep up in that department. Midrange is going to be a bit less prominent but is incredibly nimble and delicate and provides that lovely liquid smoothness you're likely looking for without sacrificing detail. And they are less sensitive :smile: (I think almost everything is :blink: ).

If you get them, I recommend trying the j444 mod (I like the lowercase touch on the J actually :) ) posted here so to get the bass a bit closer in quantity and perceived texture and tightness closer to the Heaven V.

James' mod is in the other thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/703874/jvc-ha-fx850-iem-woody/105#post_10347472

It does a great job of attenuating the bass bloat while preserving the slam

IMO, it even serves to accentuate the slam aspect of the bass. Something about the free air movement accentuates the sharpness of the impact. I noticed something similar when doing an oddball experiment involving free air movement with one of James's first generation Heaven series, still can't remember if it was the A or the C (sorry James!).

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,313 of 3,535
I wonder if the j444 mod and increased air movement can help explain what I'm experiencing with my FX850 and recently received set of Comply tips.

I posted earlier about how the stock medium silicone tips were just a bit too small. Too much air circulating.

AUVIO medium silicone were a tiny bit larger and provide the fit and sound best to date.

I received a mixed pack of Comply 400 medium tips (no wax filters) earlier in the week.

Comply Isolation tips inserted much deeper. The isolation of outside noise was much better than any of the silicones. However I immediately noticed the increased and bloated bass. Coming from the bass-shy Etymotic hf3, I had a headache in about 5 minutes.

Switched to Comply Comfort tips next. Insertion depth was a bit shallower, but the noise attenuation was just about as good as the Isolation tips. Actual comfort was a tiny bit better, but really about the same as Isolation ones. Unfortunately, I experienced the same increased and bloated bass. Headache in 7 minutes.

Finally, I tried the Comply Active tips. These are shaped like the Isolation tips, except they have a rough foam texture on the outside. Not sure if it was the texture, diameter or type of foam, but I could insert these without compressing the foam like I had to do with the other two. Noise isolation was not as good and insertion depth was shallower. But the bass tamed back out to acceptable levels.

Ultimately, I've gone back to the AUVIO silicone tips. I'm consciously trading less isolation for lighter bass. I am curious if the j444 mod will keep the isolation the same and increase air flow even more, bumping the bass down another notch.

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #2,314 of 3,535
I would say getting a decent Silver or maybe even SPC cable probably provides you with a long-term solution and more freedom when it comes to picking a comfortable, noise-isolating tips without the fear for over-whelming bass.

Of course, you might want to try the j444 mod and see how it works out for you sound-wise and isolation-wise.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #2,315 of 3,535
Yea, but ur used to dat huge treble.
tongue.gif

I don't know what you're listening to these days but the upper treble peak on the 1p2 was quite something.
I think the FX850 might be your ticket. Enough increased bass amplitude to give the perception of better extension and weight, especially at the subbass. IMO the dynamics on the HV are top notch and the FX850 is one of the few IEMs I've heard that can keep up in that department. Midrange is going to be a bit less prominent but is incredibly nimble and delicate and provides that lovely

The peak is childs play next to the EX1000 :wink:. Even the Sui is childs play next to that :p.

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #2,316 of 3,535
I wonder if the j444 mod and increased air movement can help explain what I'm experiencing with my FX850 and recently received set of Comply tips.

I posted earlier about how the stock medium silicone tips were just a bit too small. Too much air circulating.

AUVIO medium silicone were a tiny bit larger and provide the fit and sound best to date.

I received a mixed pack of Comply 400 medium tips (no wax filters) earlier in the week.

Comply Isolation tips inserted much deeper. The isolation of outside noise was much better than any of the silicones. However I immediately noticed the increased and bloated bass. Coming from the bass-shy Etymotic hf3, I had a headache in about 5 minutes.

Switched to Comply Comfort tips next. Insertion depth was a bit shallower, but the noise attenuation was just about as good as the Isolation tips. Actual comfort was a tiny bit better, but really about the same as Isolation ones. Unfortunately, I experienced the same increased and bloated bass. Headache in 7 minutes.

Finally, I tried the Comply Active tips. These are shaped like the Isolation tips, except they have a rough foam texture on the outside. Not sure if it was the texture, diameter or type of foam, but I could insert these without compressing the foam like I had to do with the other two. Noise isolation was not as good and insertion depth was shallower. But the bass tamed back out to acceptable levels.

Ultimately, I've gone back to the AUVIO silicone tips. I'm consciously trading less isolation for lighter bass. I am curious if the j444 mod will keep the isolation the same and increase air flow even more, bumping the bass down another notch.

Less isolation in my experience.

The peak is childs play next to the EX1000 :wink:. Even the Sui is childs play next to that :p.

Haha, I dunno man, it's kind of a big mountain that one. Buuuut, the ex1000 has a mountain range. Sui was kinda in between iirc.

Fx850 sounded more like a plateau of treble, emphasized but not every sharp and glaring, but I don't know if it was smooth either, at least to me.

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #2,317 of 3,535
It's really no secret that I never really cared for the 1P2, but I never actually knew why at the time. Well, SGS did share with me, that before he sold his pair, he was able to measure out a peak at 8.5 kHz that was elevated by a whopping 10 dB over ANY other frequency in the range on the 1P2. I would pretty much categorize that as "staring into the sun" in terms of brightness. I also find the 850 quite bright and I don't care to listen to it for longer than an hour or so due to the elevated bass/treble, but I must say, it pretty much beats the pants off of a lot much higher priced phones IMO. For me, it comes down to its mastery of dynamics and excellent timbre. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #2,318 of 3,535
  is anybody here lucky enough to be able to compare the fx850 to noble K10?
have the the fx850, really enjoy it, but sometimes wish for some more soundstage, more upfront vocals and instrument separation.....and the K10 just looks so hot..
please (for the sake of my wallet) tell me the k10 is not worth the money if I have the fx850  

I think I know exactly what you mean, and when I get that craving I usually go for my Sennheiser HD 650. That is, unless the surroundings aren't too noisy (the HD 650 is open) or otherwise inconvenient for a full size headphone.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #2,319 of 3,535
  It's really no secret that I never really cared for the 1P2, but I never actually knew why at the time. Well, SGS did share with me, that before he sold his pair, he was able to measure out a peak at 8.5 kHz that was elevated by a whopping 10 dB over ANY other frequency in the range on the 1P2. I would pretty much categorize that as "staring into the sun" in terms of brightness. I also find the 850 quite bright and I don't care to listen to it for longer than an hour or so due to the elevated bass/treble, but I must say, it pretty much beats the pants off of a lot much higher priced phones IMO. For me, it comes down to its mastery of dynamics and excellent timbre. 

I heard the 1P2 the same way, but 10db!!  Wow!   I also thought the JVCFXT90 was too bright,  so hoping the 850 isn't too bright for me either.   I did copy off Shotgun's use of a piece of teabag over the nozzle to reduce piercing treble and the James bass mod just in case.   Hope the 850 isn't brighter than the Heaven V( which I like), or I could be selling be selling both V and 850 for a Custom Art Two then go into deep hibernation with my fellow bears up in the Smokies!!

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #2,320 of 3,535
I heard the 1P2 the same way, but 10db!!  Wow!   I also thought the JVCFXT90 was too bright,  so hoping the 850 isn't too bright for me either.   I did copy off Shotgun's use of a piece of teabag over the nozzle to reduce piercing treble and the James bass mod just in case.   Hope the 850 isn't brighter than the Heaven V( which I like), or I could be selling be selling both V and 850 for a Custom Art Two then go into deep hibernation with my fellow bears up in the Smokies!!

Expect it to be brighter up top than the Heaven V but not as on the edge in the lower treble/upper midrange, specifically because I can pretty much count on half a hand the number of good sounding earphones that I have heard or know of that have a peak at 3k.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #2,321 of 3,535
If you get them, I recommend trying the j444 mod (I like the lowercase touch on the J actually
smily_headphones1.gif
) posted here so to get the bass a bit closer in quantity and perceived texture and tightness closer to the Heaven V.
IMO, it even serves to accentuate the slam aspect of the bass. Something about the free air movement accentuates the sharpness of the impact. I noticed something similar when doing an oddball experiment involving free air movement with one of James's first generation Heaven series, still can't remember if it was the A or the C (sorry James!).

The j444 mod adds a tiny amount of front leakage and decreases acoustic resistance. From a frequency response perspective, it attenuates deep bass slighly more than midbass, which probably accentuates the perception of slam. However, changing an IEM's airflow changes its frequency response and transients, the latter of which may also contribute to changes in bass perception.

Btw, the origins of this mod reach back as far as 2013, when Rin's measurements for the older FX700 confirmed my subjective impression that a slight amount of leakage tames their bass quite nicely. I used to wear them with small tips and a light seal back then, which required frequent readjusting to achieve the "right" amount of bass reduction. The j444 mod eliminates the need for the latter and gives me a long-term consistent amount of leakage, hence it's a much better solution.

See my description above. It's less isolation for lighter bass tradeoff as well.

I would say getting a decent Silver or maybe even SPC cable probably provides you with a long-term solution and more freedom when it comes to picking a comfortable, noise-isolating tips without the fear for over-whelming bass.

Of course, you might want to try the j444 mod and see how it works out for you sound-wise and isolation-wise.

Not sure by which electroacoustic principle a cable can attenuate the JVC's bass, since their impedance is very linear across the frequency range.

Reminds me of a most mischievous post I made in the 1p2 thread. Sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut lol. 
wink.gif

Oh, and I fully agree on the pants part as far as the 850 are concerned. Btw, the 1100 should be there by end of the week.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #2,322 of 3,535

See my description above. It's less isolation for lighter bass tradeoff as well.

Not sure by which electroacoustic principle a cable can attenuate the JVC's bass, since their impedance is very linear across the frequency range.

Haha neither am i sure, generally some people hear that logic-defying sonic difference and some people don't.

Let me put it this way, ain't that why the reason that here in Head-Fi we still have that sublime debate and line-drawing between people who believe and people who don't believe in the cable voodoos? (Whether its scientifically viable for the subject's impedance and default FR curve etc)

Bottom-line is if it works for one's ears (which is why first-hand audition experience's so important for me), "f * * k" science and its douchebaggery logic, just sit back and enjoy the music as nature has intended, if possible for wallet's safety, don't come back and look into the forums so often 
tongue.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #2,323 of 3,535
That science that was used to create those wonderful sublime little gems that sit in your ears?

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #2,324 of 3,535
The j444 mod adds a tiny amount of front leakage and decreases acoustic resistance. From a frequency response perspective, it attenuates deep bass slighly more than midbass, which probably accentuates the perception of slam. However, changing an IEM's airflow changes its frequency response and transients, the latter of which may also contribute to changes in bass perception.

Btw, the origins of this mod reach back as far as 2013, when Rin's measurements for the older FX700 confirmed my subjective impression that a slight amount of leakage tames their bass quite nicely. I used to wear them with small tips and a light seal back then, which required frequent readjusting to achieve the "right" amount of bass reduction. The j444 mod eliminates the need for the latter and gives me a long-term consistent amount of leakage, hence it's a much better solution.

It definitely has interesting effects. And is, as far as I'm concerned the first thing I try before going for the tip box when the low end is way past my comfort zone. The effect of bass reduction is predictable, consistent and effective. The effects on the transient response are a lot more interesting to me, as are the slight impacts on the treble. I vaguely remember noting, and I think mentioning to you, hearing slight differences in the upper registers vs stock, no so much in presence, which could be explained by attenuated bass, but the character of the treble. Fascinating stuff.

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #2,325 of 3,535
  Reminds me of a most mischievous post I made in the 1p2 thread. Sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut lol. 
wink.gif

Oh, and I fully agree on the pants part as far as the 850 are concerned. Btw, the 1100 should be there by end of the week.

LOL, dem double standards. Although traversing back into that hive of ----MOS EISLEY---- has drastically altered my perception of Muzak (fan of musical frauds Milli Vanilli? Great taste gramps) and Purrin (fan of Col. Roy Mustang? I had no idea that Purrin senpai was so kakkoii. I hope Purrpin seenpai notice sme) Blame it on the rain.

"f * * k" science and its douchebaggery logic, just sit back and enjoy the music as nature has intended, if possible for wallet's safety, don't come back and look into the forums so often 
tongue.gif

Newton, Galileo, Einstein... the preeminent douchebags of history. And what's up with that wheelchair science guy? Total hipster. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back