The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Nov 16, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #2,176 of 3,535
Nov 16, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #2,177 of 3,535
Nov 16, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #2,178 of 3,535
  Hi, I also have fx750 and your photos make me want to toss mine out of the window
beerchug.gif
 I had a chance to listen to it with dx90 and I quite liked the combo. What does the amp add to the sound/general performance? And do you find the tips you're using better than spiral dots?

Sure you mean to toss out your photos not your 750's. 
blink.gif

Out of DX90 HO they sound really nice. What this particular amp does, it separates the instruments even better. Not in positioning, but each instrument seems to have its own layer and air around it. Hard to describe in words though. Very easy to detect when hot swapping phones between DX HO and amp HO. The difference is not subtle. Gotta be careful thou with volume setting on DX90 though, which I set to max for Line Out and if I don't drop it when plugging phones to HO I could possibly kiss FX750 drivers good-bay.

The other reason I like it paired with amp is a fantastic bass boost on Vorzuge Duo. I have tons of ripped old CD's re-mastered from tapes and these tend to be very lean. Something like Rush 2112, Led Zep IV, early Jethro Tull or Sabbath are almost un-listenable without bass boost.

There are lots of posts up in main DX90 thread claiming that amping DX90 is waste of money, well, it depends on amp I guess. To me it clearly brings my listening experience up one notch higher. Was it worth extra dough? It is for me.

Cheers.

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #2,179 of 3,535
  @Exesteils I found this http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/JVC-HA-FX1100-/141467273603?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item20f01b4983 on ebay; fx1100 at $599 free shipping. Quite expensive and its the only one available at the moment. Would I be taxed if I bring it in and how much is the current tax rate?

I will need to buy them before 1st of april then right since gst would start then, got to pay both customs tax and gst insane 
eek.gif

$599 works out to ¥70k.  They are around ¥52k yen here in Tokyo : 

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000713153/

which works out to $450, so that seller is trying for quite a huge margin. They are not actually available yet, even here.  `Early December` is what all the shops are claiming.  

Does anyone have any info on the differences between the 850 and 1100?  The 850 has dropped in price a lot; it`s less than ¥25k which is close to $200. . . 

d

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #2,180 of 3,535
Okay, I am super curious about the 850 after trying them out in two different shops here, and loving my current JVC FXZ200s .  As I mentioned, the 850`s price has dropped a lot here since release.  Of course, on the other hand the new/improved is always attractive, so I`ve done a run through of the Japanese sites on the upcoming 1100. I`m still curious about them, but my suspicion is growing that this new flagship may be just a marketing-department creation.  Here are some A-B screen shots with the 850 side-by-side with the 1100, from the JVC page.  I see no difference except for different wood and cable.  On the 1100 page, they`ve highlighted in red that the `wood dome unit has an opening of 11mm`, yet the 850 has the exact same unit, same dimensions.  All the other specs and exploded views look the same to me.  

This makes the 850 all the more interesting. 0f course, who knows, maybe the sound sigs are different due to the different wood density or internal shape...  

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #2,182 of 3,535
Okay, I am super curious about the 850 after trying them out in two different shops here, and loving my current JVC FXZ200s .  As I mentioned, the 850`s price has dropped a lot here since release.  Of course, on the other hand the new/improved is always attractive, so I`ve done a run through of the Japanese sites on the upcoming 1100. I`m still curious about them, but my suspicion is growing that this new flagship may be just a marketing-department creation.  Here are some A-B screen shots with the 850 side-by-side with the 1100, from the JVC page.  I see no difference except for different wood and cable.  On the 1100 page, they`ve highlighted in red that the `wood dome unit has an opening of 11mm`, yet the 850 has the exact same unit, same dimensions.  All the other specs and exploded views look the same to me.  

This makes the 850 all the more interesting. 0f course, who knows, maybe the sound sigs are different due to the different wood density or internal shape...  

Maybe they're playing it close to the vest. I doubt it though.

New inner cable material and sheath. New solder, somewhere. Extra, and new, sizes of tips. New wood.

It's possible they changed the driver voicing, but that's a guessing game at this point.

Yea, I want the 1100, but the 850 pricing right now is very difficult to turn away from.

I am never a new adapter to the headphones scene.. I say sit on it...

When JCV drops new flagship WOOD, ears perk up and the yard fills. It's a known commodity.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #2,183 of 3,535
Maybe they're playing it close to the vest. I doubt it though.

New inner cable material and sheath. New solder, somewhere. Extra, and new, sizes of tips. New wood.

It's possible they changed the driver voicing, but that's a guessing game at this point.

Yea, I want the 1100, but the 850 pricing right now is very difficult to turn away from.
When JCV drops new flagship WOOD, ears perk up and the yard fills. It's a known commodity.

The 1100 will be 2.2x the price of the 850 here . .  .  

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #2,184 of 3,535
Nov 17, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #2,185 of 3,535
I just got the AK120ii yesterday, and I am thinking that for less than the price of the 1100, I can get the 850 AND a SAEC or Acoustic Revive 2.5mm TRRS balanced mmcx cable  . . . . 

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #2,187 of 3,535
I just purchased these based on your reccomendation and i concur.

Definently tighter bass which I think clears the sound up for more instument separatio and details

awesome, danlam! I'm convinced these shure cables are simply better all around than the stock jvc's by a decent margin. Looking at the new specs for the FX1100, which appears nearly identical to the fx850 except for cable/soldering(?),  I'm wondering if our little shure-cable hack might approach or exceed the performance of the fx1100! 

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #2,188 of 3,535
Found this balanced A&K 2.5mmTRRS-mmcx cable from a company called `Bispa`, here in Tokyo: 

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #2,189 of 3,535

Really goes to show what I've come to realize during last six months or so, that what we appreciate when it comes to IEMs and sound is very personal. Oh yes, I've had my share of TOTL IEMs (see my profile) but right now there's really only one other phone that I appreciate as much (and sometimes even more depending on what I'm listening to) as the FX850, it costs just USD $50 and is too just ****** AMAZING!

And what might those $50 iems be?

ZERO AUDIO Carbo Tenore ZH-DX200-CT. Overall tonality (from 20 Hz to 12 kHz (my limit)) is mind blowingly good; so well balanced. My only very small complaint is that it lacks a bit of energy at low volumes. Only my TG334 has a more realistic tonality than the Tenores but only in the mid-range.

Nevertheless, I prefer my FX850 over both of these because of its ability to project some truly serious energy into the music, especially with symphonic classical music. Everything has weight/substance. Getting along with the FX850 from the start hasn't been easy though as find it overly resolving bordering to distortion. I've come to the conclusion that the stock tips just don't work for me. However, recently I’ve found that the Comply Comfort Ts-Series tips (I believe Ts-400) combined with james444's FX850 mod give me very, very good results and tame the "distortion" and so I think my “ordeal” might be over. Anyway, I'm happy enough with my FX850 that I've decided to sell my (other) TOTL phones (TG334, AKG K3003, EarSonics EM6, etc.).

The really great thing about the Tenores is that you can get TOTL sound (and I'm dead serious) by investing just $50 (or so)!

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #2,190 of 3,535

awesome, danlam! I'm convinced these shure cables are simply better all around than the stock jvc's by a decent margin. Looking at the new specs for the FX1100, which appears nearly identical to the fx850 except for cable/soldering(?),  I'm wondering if our little shure-cable hack might approach or exceed the performance of the fx1100! 

Are these the same cable that come stock on the Shure Se250? Those have memory wire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back