The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jul 11, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #1,533 of 3,535
I also felt that sibilant will be greatly reduced with more hours on them and it's mostly present depending on your music file quality. 
Here is the 8 conductor Hydra I have on my SSE535 to give you an idea how thick is the cable.

My files definitely aren't mp3 so it's not them, but yeah I will get to probably 50+ hours before deciding on a cable. Just noticed all nocturnals are angled near the connectors so that wouldn't be ideal for straight downs 
That is one thick cable! lol
The Hybrid should do well for you.
About Silver cables actually my 93spec did a much better job at smoothing out the sounds but keeping the treble extension at the same time when compared to the other cable I have which is the Fiio SPC cable.

The hybrids seem quite interesting actually, I should consider those after more burn in.. do they fiio make any sonic difference?
Also been checking out the iem cable thread, at the moment I am probably looking at pure audio cables but the amount of options they have is headaching! I do like those double helix ones but they're a bit too expensive - 200 is probably the ideal price cause otherwise it's almost the same price as the FX haha

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #1,534 of 3,535
My files definitely aren't mp3 so it's not them, but yeah I will get to probably 50+ hours before deciding on a cable. Just noticed all nocturnals are angled near the connectors so that wouldn't be ideal for straight downs 
That is one thick cable! lol
The hybrids seem quite interesting actually, I should consider those after more burn in.. do they fiio make any sonic difference?
Also been checking out the iem cable thread, at the moment I am probably looking at pure audio cables but the amount of options they have is headaching! I do like those double helix ones but they're a bit too expensive - 200 is probably the ideal price cause otherwise it's almost the same price as the FX haha

I agree with most not finding it an ideal choice to spend as much or even more on the cable than the earphones itself.

Thats why for starters I think the brands for cable that people could sure look out for were either: Nocturnal Audio, Moon Audio's Dragon Cables, Stage93's EAST93 Cables and Toxic Cables or even Effect Audio's cables (except the CC Piccolino cables that will cost as much or even more than FX850 itself)

Toxic Viper's midrange glow should match well with the FX850, too bad I could not have convenient access to one around me. =(

For Fiio SPC it does change the sound noticeably, it tightens the bass and vocals cleans up a lil thus granting it more presence across the spectrum.

However it may also add more sibilance to sound especially if you find it so on some recordings.

If one is looking to clamp down the perceived sibilance on the FX850, I would not recommend the Fiio cables in this case! =)

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #1,535 of 3,535
You guys make it sound like there is something wrong with the stock sound on the FX850. For the sake of guys that read this. In my opinion I don't feel that it is a 100% necessity.. Sure I like the sound of what the aftermarket cables can bring to the FX850 and I am all for enhancing the sounds on these with better cables but you guys are forgetting the stock cable is not your garden variety stock cable that comes with cheapo earphones. These are Silver coated OFC cables that are on here. I have a few higher content silver cables I use for my other earphones but I honestly like the way the stock cables sound.  As for sibilance.

The first thing I would do is actually do some burn in. I have zero sibilance of any kind on my well burned in pair. If you guys read some of the earlier comments of guys that got these they all commented on how the sound changes for the better with more use/ burn in, just about all of them including one that I recall that went back to stock cable after some time of use on these to find out the stock cable is just as good. Burn your earphones in. I look at it as a 100% necessity.. After a week or two of burn in, you will hear a new earphone..You all want the best sounding FX850.? If you have less than a weeks straight of burn in. Get them back on a fairly loud source and work out them drivers.

I personally know over 5 members/friends that own these that all did just this and every single one was telling me how great their FX850 sounds after the burn in. Give it a try before spending a lot of money on expensive cables. To be honest if I was going to spend close to a $100 or more on cables I would rather put that toward a good amp as that will truly bring the FX850 to a new level. These wood drivers have a maturation cycle for their sound to be 100% and it only comes out with burn in..Try it out .

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #1,536 of 3,535
You guys make it sound like there is something wrong with the stock sound on the FX850. For the sake of guys that read this. In my opinion I don't feel that it is a 100% necessity.. Sure I like the sound of what the aftermarket cables can bring to the FX850 and I am all for enhancing the sounds on these with better cables but you guys are forgetting the stock cable is not your garden variety stock cable that comes with cheapo earphones. These are Silver coated OFC cables that are on here. I have a few higher content silver cables I use for my other earphones but I honestly like the way the stock cables sound.  As for sibilance.

The first thing I would do is actually do some burn in. I have zero sibilance of any kind on my well burned in pair. If you guys read some of the earlier comments of guys that got these just about all of them including one that I recall that went back to stock cable after some time of use on these to find out the stock cable is just as good. Burn your earphones in. I look at it as a 100% necessity.. After a week or two of burn in, you will hear a new earphone..You all want the best sounding FX850.? If you have less than a weeks straight of burn in. Get them back on a fairly loud source and work out them drivers.

I personally know over 5 members/friends that own these that all did just this and every single one was telling me how great their FX850 sounds after the burn in. Give it a try before spending a lot of money on expensive cables. To be honest if I was going to spend close to a $100 or more on cables I would rather put that toward a good amp as that will truly bring the FX850 to a new level. These wood drivers have a maturation cycle for their sound to be 100% and it only comes out with burn in..Try it out .

I have to agree that the stock cable sounds plenty good that's why I have not put my words to action. Like what I wrote, the stock cable is doing it for me but thoughts arises out of curiosity. Also, did the burning in as you have highlighted and can vouch for your words that it helps with sibilant. Peace.

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #1,537 of 3,535
Yes and of all the sound descriptions of the FX850 in max capacity of performance.. Sibilance is not one of them. Too many members own these now where that would be exposed if it was. If you are getting any type of rough or bloated sound it is usually from Open box new earphone experience.. Burn them in.. And to be honest I doubt just causal use is going to get them to where my FX850 are.

I use Drum and bass tracks to burn in set to a volume that I can hear the tracks when putting them down for burn in so medium/loudish levels, all my earphones and headphones and I swear by this method.. It pounds on them drivers. Fast beat driven bass tracks.. My pair sound too good for words after it is done.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #1,538 of 3,535
didnt hear sibilance from day one on my aged ears :p

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #1,539 of 3,535
I really didn't either but I can see how that can be with some different sources. My pair sounded overly thick and warm with too much mid bass on open box.. They don't sound like that now however.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,540 of 3,535
  I really didn't either but I can see how that can be with some different sources. My pair sounded overly thick and warm with too much mid bass on open box.. They don't sound like that now however.

Which tracks did you used specifically? Could you kindly share with us? 
etysmile.gif

And i do agree that stock cable sounds plenty good, but even if its just a little, i still missed the hi-hats and the more present vocals i had with the FX850 on the 93spec.

Will burning in your way also gives leeway for more vocal presence (even if its not about making more upfront).

(P.S. The reason i don't mind spending a lil on the cables is because i may also get the Sony H3 for sports-use, which coincidentally uses MMCX connectors too, getting a cable for BOTH iems would place it in a justifiable position for my case, therefore i cant make a stand if its justifying to spend on cables for JUST the FX850 alone imo as even me might stay my budgets off the cables if FX850 is the only recipient of the cable pairing in question
deadhorse.gif
)

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,541 of 3,535
Actually the H3s do have a greater impact with nicer cables. The reason why I use Drum N Bass is because the genre in general has higher BPMs. Greater more solid and faster impact on the bass beats just tax the drivers..It really don't matter who the artist is. I would recommend a compilation. The longer the better. Or you can just long onto this and use your computer to burn in your FX850..http://www.bassdrivearchive.com/flashme/

It does have an impact on overall sound of the FX850. It tightens up the entire sound. Better highs as the treble has greater clarity, more defined mids and much tighter bass as a result. The key is to let your FX850 run with loudish volumes. What I do is I first have them in ears.  I turn up the volume to where I think it is fairly loud. You have to be careful not to cause any ear fatigue but it is only for a second. Take them out..Turn up the volume a half a notch more. .So for example if the volume is at a 7 out of 10 in the ear when loud. Take them out of ears turn it to 7 1/2 and just let it sit day and night. I would say 100 hours will get the phones to 95-97% of max potential another 100 hours for 100%..

After this if you guys tell me what you hear is exactly what you heard before you did this. You are lieing. It will only improve.

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #1,542 of 3,535
I normally find most change happens in the first 1-5 hours, but that hasn't always been the case. Even so, I usually put a standard 50 on my gear before deeper evaluation.

These were an exception. There really is a noticeable difference with added break in time. I just happened to put 200 hours on them as life had me too busy to really listen to them at the 50 hour mark. So, I gave them a short few hours and kept them going. Completely worth the wait.

Still building a cable for them. It'll be more for style than anything, but any sonic variation will be interesting.

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #1,543 of 3,535
Hi all,
I agree with Dsnuts, the fx850 does better with BnD.
Also someone here said that watching movies with the fx850 is amazing. I just re-watched Thor The Dark World with these...it was fantastic, and amazing. The soundstage, the voice, effects, soundtracks, etc... All are so real. It just like I was there, in the movie. Except the small screen from my iPhone, I prefer the fx850 to the surround 7.1 sound system in the cinema. Cause the 7.1 system didn't give me the feeling of realistic, the feeling of being in the movie!!!
I'm glad that I have read thoughts about fx850 here, and bought it! Would recommend fx850 for all kind of movies except horror/mystery/ghost films... I haven't tried it and won't... :|
:)

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #1,544 of 3,535
Walking dead on the FX850 is epic. Lol.. Oh yea my favorite movie with the FX850.. Check out Judge Dredd. The newer one with it. Will have you smiling I guarantee..Avatar is pretty crazy with it as well. I call it personal THX..

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #1,545 of 3,535
I definitely think the seal effects the sound more than most things. Light seal = almost neutral, a bit diffuse sounding. Medium seal = bass heavy w/ loose-ish bass that bleeds into midrange and a perfect seal for me has resulted in equally large bass which is tight and non-intrusive, but also a warm-ish sound signature in general. Anyone else agree with my findings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back