The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
May 9, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #856 of 3,535
Wait till Danny get his boxes he will chime in with how these tips sound on his phones I am sure.

I have been using UE tips for just about all my phones and believe me those were the best tips until these came along.. I tried my FX850 tips on my other phones and was blown away at how spacious and open my other phones sounded using them. So there seems to be something about that spiral dot pattern that flows that sound to your ears. Whatever JVC did to design these I can honestly say it works.  They are a bit spendy for tips but they are completely worth it to bring optimal sound to just about every phone I own.

Just a brilliant tip design from JVC. Not only does it maximize the sound from the FX850 but also for every other phone I own. That my friends is awesome.

May 9, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #857 of 3,535
finally ordered fx850 from pricejapan... i'm 36 years old but the wait for these makes me excited like a little kid before x-mas

do this "miracle"-spiral-dot-tips come standard with the fx850 or are they an extra-purchase?

May 9, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #859 of 3,535
finally ordered fx850 from pricejapan... i'm 36 years old but the wait for these makes me excited like a little kid before x-mas

do this "miracle"-spiral-dot-tips come standard with the fx850 or are they an extra-purchase?

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club. :wink:

They come with the phones themselves, Ds was just complimenting them on how well they work with other phones(Understatement)

May 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #862 of 3,535
  wait im confused.. are you guys praising the spiral dot eartips or the eartips which comes with FX850?

This is how I found out about the tips.. The earphones themselves are a phenom of course. I read a while back that JVC designed an entirely new tip design for these earphones the "spiral dot". First these have a very wide bore which is the opposite of something like the Sony Hybrids. Then they have in the inside walls of the nozzle part of the tips a spiral dot pattern..I believe all it does is make sure sound from the earphones gets channeled correctly to your ears..

In any case Just for curiosity sakes, I took the tips off the FX850 and started throwing them on my other phones with immediate results.. JVC probably knew they were onto a better tip design and while it is not anything really different than your traditional silicone tips. For some reason these optimizes the sound more so than any other tips I have used thus far and I own a otterbox filled with tips. So for guys owning more than a few earphones these tips are worth every penny spent on them.

A quote from an random ad on the FX850.

"All three models accompany a "spiral dot ear piece," which the inwall dimples diffuse the reflection in the ear piece. This causes the degradation of sound quality -- to achieve cloudless, clear sound. Moreover, they also accompany a softly fit and low rebound ear piece. Only "HA-FX850" employs MMCX terminal to support removable code."

May 9, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #863 of 3,535
A lot of people say the bass on the HD600 and 650 tighten up with a proper amp (proper as in synergizes well). In my opinion you shouldn't need spend an arm and a leg to get good sound out a headphone, especially with a lot of trial and error combinations with amps and DACs. Just my two cents, though.

May 9, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #864 of 3,535
Those tips make the 1Plus2 sound amazing. They are indeed the best tips I've used by far. Gonna have to order some from Amazon @ some point.

May 9, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #866 of 3,535
  Those tips make the 1Plus2 sound amazing. They are indeed the best tips I've used by far. Gonna have to order some from Amazon @ some point.

Yes perfect throw in item.
  How many tips come with the FX850? Is it one pair in S, M, and L?

Only one pair each...Wish they would throw in more than a pair. At least the are available for purchase now.

May 9, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #867 of 3,535

Yes perfect throw in item.

Only one pair each...Wish they would throw in more than a pair. At least the are available for purchase now.

Which size are people buying?  I'd hate to buy the wrong size since they're so expensive!  Also, does the 6 mean 6 pair, or 6 total (3-pair)?

Small:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/JVC-%E4%BA%A4%E6%8F%9B%E7%94%A8%E3%82%A4%E3%83%A4%E3%83%BC%E3%83%94%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9-S%E3%82%B5%E3%82%A4%E3%82%BA-EP-FX9S-B-%E3%83%96%E3%83%A9%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF/dp/B00JSLXOLE/

Medium:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/JVC-%E4%BA%A4%E6%8F%9B%E7%94%A8%E3%82%A4%E3%83%A4%E3%83%BC%E3%83%94%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9-M%E3%82%B5%E3%82%A4%E3%82%BA-EP-FX9M-B-%E3%83%96%E3%83%A9%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF/dp/B00JSLXNOC/

Large:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/JVC-%E4%BA%A4%E6%8F%9B%E7%94%A8%E3%82%A4%E3%83%A4%E3%83%BC%E3%83%94%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9-L%E3%82%B5%E3%82%A4%E3%82%BA-EP-FX9L-B-%E3%83%96%E3%83%A9%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF/dp/B00JSLXPUE/

May 9, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #868 of 3,535
What tips do you normally use? I guess that's the safest choice

I usually go L or XL as I find those to fit my ears more often than not. Still holding off until I can find something else to throw in the basket too.... Maybe a pair of Tenores.

May 9, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #869 of 3,535
  What tips do you normally use? I guess that's the safest choice

I usually go L or XL as I find those to fit my ears more often than not. Still holding off until I can find something else to throw in the basket too.... Maybe a pair of Tenores.

M or L, which makes this a difficult choice.

Good choice on the Tenore.  Two people just compared Tenore and FX850 and they reach for the Tenore more.  Tenore is my favorite IEM, but even I'm having a hard time believing this!

Quote:
I also have both the Tenore's and the JVC FX850. Without getting into a full review, I can make some general comments based on my listening and preferences:

Tenore: Very small, light and "forget-about-it" comfortable. FX850: Quite large and more difficult for me to get a good seal. Not as comfortable as Tenore.

Tenore: Soundstage seems appropriate to the venue and genre of the music. Good depth of imaging. FX850: Very large soundstage, less depth than Tenore. More in-your-face.

Tenore: Accuracy of timbre is just outstanding. Gives a great sense of realism. Needs fairly high volume to sound its best. FX850: Uber-detailed. Maybe more detail than one hears in a live performance. Sense of realism not as pronounced as Tenore.

Tenore: Rather low sensitivity, needs some horsepower behind it to sound its best. FX850: Very easily driven from nearly any source.

Cost: 8 prs. Tenore's = 1 pr. FX 850.

Overall, comparing the two seems to be somewhat like apples and oranges, as the phones are quite different and will likely fill different needs.

I find myself reaching for the Tenore's far more than for the 850's. As they say, YMMV!

Quote:
So far I agree with everything. I'll say stock I slightly prefer the Tenore due to tighter bass compared to the slight bloat of the JVCs. EQed, they are in similar levels

May 9, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #870 of 3,535
  M or L, which makes this a difficult choice.

Good choice on the Tenore.  Two people just compared Tenore and FX850 and they reach for the Tenore more.  Tenore is my favorite IEM, but even I'm having a hard time believing this!

I have the Tenores, but I prefer FX850's more detailed sound more. They both do certain things well but I love the JVC.s timbre more. This is just just to justify me buying a pair of tips from overseas. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back