The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #721 of 22,496
I know exactly how you feel.

Do you plan on running them from a portabl? I tried in on one of my portable amos - the Leckerton. It sounds pretty good - rather surprised.

Thank you purrin for your help with your impression
Please try it with Hi Fi M8 , please choose very good Lod to USB , you will get audiophile portable SQ

For the best result I pair with my desktop pre amp tube T+A P 10.2

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #723 of 22,496
On a business trip to Malaysia, I left my 1266 at home... I miss them now.

Hi VZ
I am sure everybody who own Abyss can miss Abyss so much like me too :D
For traveling is impossible to use in the plane , your neighbour can be angry :D
In the car during traffic jam I use Hi Fi M8 / Cyberlabs Theorem with iPhone 4S to pair with Abyss
Or 3 stack : iPhone 4S + Go Dap DD 1 LE 12 Volt with Muse 02 + Pico Power / Intruder

These two are very good for traveling use

Enjoy your trip

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #724 of 22,496
Hi VZ
I am sure everybody who own Abyss can miss Abyss so much like me too
biggrin.gif

For traveling is impossible to use in the plane , your neighbour can be angry
biggrin.gif

In the car during traffic jam I use Hi Fi M8 / Cyberlabs Theorem with iPhone 4S to pair with Abyss
Or 3 stack : iPhone 4S + Go Dap DD 1 LE 12 Volt with Muse 02 + Pico Power / Intruder

These two are very good for traveling use

Enjoy your trip

Thanks man,

I have tried it as well with The International by ALO and the Intruder by RSA. Both are very good amps IMO to use with it. I also got to try it with my ipod classic-GoDAP 12v LTD-Apex Glacier and it did very well.

At home i use it with my Macbook Pro-Invicta Mirus-Cavalli LAu.

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #725 of 22,496
Thanks man,

I have tried it as well with The International by ALO and the Intruder by RSA. Both are very good amps IMO to use with it. I also got to try it with my ipod classic-GoDAP 12v LTD-Apex Glacier and it did very well.

At home i use it with my Macbook Pro-Invicta Mirus-Cavalli LAu.

I haven't heard LAu according to Gavin and Joe is excellent SQ

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #726 of 22,496
Just put everything together and 5 minutes in these puppies are surprisingly comfortable.  I parted ways with the LCD3 in March, but from what I remember, the Abyss are definitely more comfortable.  

Big thanks to Joe at Cable Co. and Joe at JPS for the great and friendly service.  I haven't known them for long, but am definitely glad that I do.

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #727 of 22,496
  Just put everything together and 5 minutes in these puppies are surprisingly comfortable.  I parted ways with the LCD3 in March, but from what I remember, the Abyss are definitely more comfortable.  

Big thanks to Joe at Cable Co. and Joe at JPS for the great and friendly service.  I haven't known them for long, but am definitely glad that I do.

Agreed on both fronts :)

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #728 of 22,496
This has not been mentioned much so I thought :-

"A quick guide to adjustments that works perfectly for me in making the Abyss sound sensational"

The Abyss needs to be adjusted as if you were placing a pair of speakers in a room. As Dave Wilson say, " an inch here or there will make all the difference". With the Abyss a few mm here or there, is all it takes.

- attach the ear cups with the stitching pointing straight ahead, or at 90 degrees

- with the Abyss on, one needs to adjust the bass performance and to do this, pull the drivers away from your ears and you should notice the bass increasing. Adjust the headband outwards. 

- repeat the above until you will get to a point where you are at the fine line of, the Abyss having near perfect bass or sounding diffused

- with the bass dialed in, It is time to adjust the tonal balance. This basically requires the rotation of the ear cups. I will refer to the stitching, moving it upwards increases the highs and downwards the bass. It is a matter of adjusting the cups for personal preference, and allowing for upstream components.

Once dialed in, for me, the Abyss is by far my favorite pair of Headphones......................

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #729 of 22,496
This has not been mentioned much so I thought :-

"A quick guide to adjustments that works perfectly for me in making the Abyss sound sensational"

The Abyss needs to be adjusted as if you were placing a pair of speakers in a room. As Dave Wilson say, " an inch here or there will make all the difference". With the Abyss a few mm here or there, is all it takes.

- attach the ear cups with the stitching pointing straight ahead, or at 90 degrees

- with the Abyss on, one needs to adjust the bass performance and to do this, pull the drivers away from your ears and you should notice the bass increasing. Adjust the headband outwards. 

- repeat the above until you will get to a point where you are at the fine line of, the Abyss having near perfect bass or sounding diffused

- with the bass dialed in, It is time to adjust the tonal balance. This basically requires the rotation of the ear cups. I will refer to the stitching, moving it upwards increases the highs and downwards the bass. It is a matter of adjusting the cups for personal preference, and allowing for upstream components.

Once dialed in, for me, the Abyss is by far my favorite pair of Headphones......................

Omgwat i never knew that

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #731 of 22,496
Here's a song that sounds magnificent on the Abyss especially the drums and cymbals.

The song is from the album "Jazz Them Up" by canto-jazz artist Bianca Wu. It is in Mandarin which I don't understand but damn it sounds great! 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61845253/01%20-%20%E8%83%A1%E7%90%B3%20-%20%E6%88%91%E6%98%AF%E4%B8%8D%E6%98%AF%E8%A9%B2%E5%AE%89%E9%9D%9C%E7%9A%84%E8%B5%B0%E9%96%8B.flac

EDIT:
I will leave the link up for a day if anyone is interested.

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #733 of 22,496
I find this interesting that you're playing with the leakage from cushion to adjust the bass level. This is bound to push the mid bass and rolloff the sub-bass, thus artificially increasing bass presence. The same can be done with any planar or stat phone to the same effect actually,

I was trying, but never achieved, to get a proper seal with the abyss when I tried it the other day, now I understand this lack of seal is per design then?

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #734 of 22,496
Arnaud

Hiya there! 

When I asked you last weekend how you found the Abyss, I kinda knew exactly what you heard as you were trying to achieve a seal on them. I would imagine you heard them like a pair of IEMs, pretty clean and clear sounding...not much bass, perhaps slightly harsh in the lower highs................

I find rather than artificially increasing bass, it is more part and parcel of how the Abyss are and their adjustment. When I pull the cups out with other planars such as the LCD3, what I achieve is a diffused sound with a sense of an increase in the mid bass but muddy and slow and not really enhancing anything positively. Contrary to popular believe, it is bass and in particular lower bass performance that defines soundstaging, and the Abyss has one of the largest most realistic soundstages that I have head from a pair headphone, and for me surpassing the great HD800 in this department..........

You should try the Abyss again hopefully with it better adjusted, and away from the norm that is associated with Headphones of "obtaining a seal".

Hope to see you again, next year.........

Gavin

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #735 of 22,496
Not sure if this was mentioned in a previous post, but to echo Gavin's post above, JPS labs also said that I won't need a perfect seal, and I'll want to let in some air for a better bass response. This must be why there are so many adjustment options on the Abyss.

Also, to add to Gavin's excellent "start-up" guide, the mechanism at the top of th Abyss lets you angle the cups towards the front or back of your head when resting on your ears. I found this also helped with comfort levels and let me further customize SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back