The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 1, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #22,306 of 22,431
So this weekend, a fellow Head-Fi member came over and we did some A/B testing with the Abyss 1266 vs. the Tungsten. He also brought over his Wells Audio Milo. To be honest, I was more focused on the Milo, as it really added something special to the Abyss. There was more low-end push/resonance and just more horsepower under the hood, if you know what I mean.

I'm now considering the Milo, which I had previously never heard of. Curious if there are some strong solid state amps you guys have liked with the Abyss? I did a quick search on this thread for "Milo" and there are 6 pages of hits, so I'm going to read up.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #22,308 of 22,431
So this weekend, a fellow Head-Fi member came over and we did some A/B testing with the Abyss 1266 vs. the Tungsten. He also brought over his Wells Audio Milo. To be honest, I was more focused on the Milo, as it really added something special to the Abyss. There was more low-end push/resonance and just more horsepower under the hood, if you know what I mean.

I'm now considering the Milo, which I had previously never heard of. Curious if there are some strong solid state amps you guys have liked with the Abyss? I did a quick search on this thread for "Milo" and there are 6 pages of hits, so I'm going to read up.
I expect tastemaker @paradoxper would say CFA 3 and many others agree.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #22,310 of 22,431

The XIAUDIO Formula S and Powerman stack remains a superb choice for all things Abyss 1266. I was seduced by tubes, but for SS it's hard to beat.

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #22,311 of 22,431
I expect tastemaker @paradoxper would say CFA 3 and many others agree.
Bah. Don't do that. I've heard a lot of gear and the CFA3 happens to be best in its class.

Plenty of others have also heard CFA3.

I think Ragnarok OG, Niimbus, SuSy Dynahi, Formula S are prime candidates.

It's more difficult to find requisite solid state headamps and I think the TC needs tubes for peak performance.

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #22,313 of 22,431
Has anyone here tried the Abyss 1266 Phi TC FilterSet? How does it sound?
Are you referring to Accurate Sound filters? If yes then to my ears they’re very good. I prefer listening to TC using the one that preserves the original bass impact.

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #22,314 of 22,431
Are you referring to Accurate Sound filters? If yes then to my ears they’re very good. I prefer listening to TC using the one that preserves the original bass impact.
Yes, would you say those filters make a big difference, especially for the mids and vocals? Just trying to figure out if they're worth the $225. What's your take on that?

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #22,315 of 22,431
Yes, would you say those filters make a big difference, especially for the mids and vocals? Just trying to figure out if they're worth the $225. What's your take on that?
The mids of TC on my system sounds perfect but It’s been a while since I first bought the filters. So I’m not really sure which element has the most influence on the mids, whether it’s the filters, the cable, the amp or preamp. I guess it’s a combination of those things.

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #22,317 of 22,431

I had the Milo Reference and it was fantastic with the 1266 TC. it is one of the amps I regret selling. definitely drives the TC easily. that amp gave the TC some really lovely mids and low end.

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #22,318 of 22,431
Guys- in my quest and research of compatible solid state amps, will the Flux FA-12 have enough horsepower for my Abyss 1266?

From the site:
300Ohm: 360mW RMS per channel (balanced mode), 32Ohm: 2600mW RMS per channel (balanced mode), 50Ohm: 1700mW RMS per channel (balanced mode)

https://fluxlab-acoustics.com/product/fa-12/

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #22,319 of 22,431
The XIAUDIO Formula S and Powerman stack remains a superb choice for all things Abyss 1266. I was seduced by tubes, but for SS it's hard to beat.
I’m seriously considering buying this one. Looks like a clear winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back