The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #22,291 of 22,407
If we were in Cali or any reasonable state, she wouldn't have had a problem. But she's like, well my life sucks, I can't date anybody right now. I had to respect the decision. 🤷‍♂️
Or reasonable country like the one to the north of you :)

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #22,292 of 22,407
I don't know anything about the band members, but their last like 5 albums have been very good, with some even being exceptional. I love the repetition and almost chanting at times. It's great music to sleep and dream too as well. I have the most vivid dreams while listening to the Swans 🤷‍♂️
I saw Swans in the late 1980s at the legendary I-Beam club on Haight St. in San Francisco. They had a female singer at the time, and were an opening act for someone I can't remember now. While I was really into goth, industrial, experimental music then, I found them just aight. Honestly, I had no idea they were still together at this point, but am currently streaming their reunion album The Seer. Yeah, still not a fan, sorry. I also kinda doubt that your date is going to love them, but stranger things have happened! If she does, it just might be true love... :relaxed:

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #22,293 of 22,407
I saw Swans in the late 1980s at the legendary I-Beam club on Haight St. in San Francisco. They had a female singer at the time, and were an opening act for someone I can't remember now. While I was really into goth, industrial, experimental music then, I found them just aight. Honestly, I had no idea they were still together at this point, but am currently streaming their reunion album The Seer. Yeah, still not a fan, sorry. I also kinda doubt that your date is going to love them, but stranger things have happened! If she does, it just might be true love... :relaxed:
To Be Kind is a good "recent" album. She probably won't like them, but hopefully she won't get a panic attack like my girlfriend in high school who I took to a Slipknot concert (early Slipknot [first album], not late Slipknot....they are a sh!tty band now, but in high school [late 90s to 01] they were the sh!t).

I'm just gonna have to learn about EDM, or I'm gonna just keep listening to music in my headphones :beyersmile:

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #22,294 of 22,407
While I was really into goth, industrial, experimental music then
I still like some of that music. As with a lot of things from the 80's and 90's there is quite a big goth and post punk revival happening at the moment. I'm going to see The Mission again soon - haven't seen them for a very long time. Latest album is good. Ministry played here lately, but I'm not a fan of their newer albums.

A local post-punk band I like is Actors. I've seen them quite a few times and am going again in May. New single came out yesterday:

I'm just gonna have to learn about EDM, or I'm gonna just keep listening to music in my headphones :beyersmile:
Most of the popular commercial EDM is dreadful, but maybe she can be taken to the underground.... some great harder edged electronic dance music out there. I went to see Ritchie Hawtin a few weeks ago and the warehouse party was rocking. I left at a late time (for me) but the younger folks looked like they were going to be there for a while longer...

A lot of the newer post punk and techno music I've found via Roon with Tidal integration. Just right-click a track and say "go and find me more music like this". Found a lot of old Blues artists I'd never heard of as well.

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #22,295 of 22,407
blues/ jazz artists? its what im listening to now

Mar 24, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #22,296 of 22,407
I saw her live some years ago

Mar 25, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #22,297 of 22,407
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #22,298 of 22,407
So, I got put onto this album. It's pretty good off the TCs. You might need to be intoxicated to appreciate it though :beyersmile: 🤷‍♂️ :pill:

mXmjvnC.png

Side note: I'm sending off my TCs to a well-known cable maker to see if they can make a better cable than the SC. I told them they gotta worry about the fit, as there are so many options. They were a little concerned that they couldn't make a cable because of that. I'm not confident they can make a cable better than the SC, but I remain hopeful. I really have no complaints about the SC, but things can always be better, right? :thinking:

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #22,299 of 22,407
So, I got put onto this album. It's pretty good off the TCs. You might need to be intoxicated to appreciate it though :beyersmile: 🤷‍♂️ :pill:

mXmjvnC.png

Side note: I'm sending off my TCs to a well-known cable maker to see if they can make a better cable than the SC. I told them they gotta worry about the fit, as there are so many options. They were a little concerned that they couldn't make a cable because of that. I'm not confident they can make a cable better than the SC, but I remain hopeful. I really have no complaints about the SC, but things can always be better, right? :thinking:
The guy I used in Texas was dhc they got chimera all tuned up for 1266 at a much higher cost per ft than superconductor and an undisclosed build time, however he makes works of art for the ears..

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #22,300 of 22,407
The guy I used in Texas was dhc they got chimera all tuned up for 1266 at a much higher cost per ft than superconductor and an undisclosed build time, however he makes works of art for the ears..
I've just ordered an adapter from DHC to try my Chimera cable on the 1266. Very interested to see how it plays.

Chimera has been incredible with Susvara.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #22,301 of 22,407
I've just ordered an adapter from DHC to try my Chimera cable on the 1266. Very interested to see how it plays.

Chimera has been incredible with Susvara.
love to hear how it goes. its going to be a while till i can order 1266, with all my purchases this year, plus a new iPad pro, studio m3 ultra, and iPhone 16 when they all come out, so. chimera or superconductor, that's what inquiring minds need to know.....

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #22,302 of 22,407
love to hear how it goes. its going to be a while till i can order 1266, with all my purchases this year, plus a new iPad pro, studio m3 ultra, and iPhone 16 when they all come out, so. chimera or superconductor, that's what inquiring minds need to know.....
If I can sell a cable I don't need (superconductor) for like 2k or whatever thanks to a 150 adapter that would be quite nice! But I like what the sc does Vs stock cable so I'll need to be honest with myself about which actually sounds better and in what way.

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #22,303 of 22,407
I’d love to do an A/B with the stock cable vs. SC. Some guys on this thread state the difference is subtle and others find it significant.

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #22,304 of 22,407
I’d love to do an A/B with the stock cable vs. SC. Some guys on this thread state the difference is subtle and others find it significant.
I would class as noticeable improvement, but would never pay 2k+ for it. If all you know is stock it's not exactly a crapty experience.

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #22,305 of 22,407
It's a noticeable improvement, and a very better ergonomic experience (the stock cable is so vinyl-ly and horrible). It takes a lil away from the bass, but adds more to the mids. If the stock cable wasn't so ergonomically terrible, I might prefer it because of the better bass. I think the AudioBacon guy described the differences well. It's a better all around cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back