The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #22,096 of 22,596
I think 300B is overrated, granted I've only tried the Taks, but I can't imagine a quartet of tubes really making that much of a difference. I might not be a tube believer, but..., what is the change? Like 10%? There's probably better money spent on an amp or dac. 🤷‍♂️ :pill:

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #22,097 of 22,596
I think 300B is overrated, granted I've only tried the Taks, but I can't imagine a quartet of tubes really making that much of a difference. I might not be a tube believer, but..., what is the change? Like 10%? There's probably better money spent on an amp or dac. 🤷‍♂️ :pill:
I cant say ive had enough experience with truly totl gear, but the 300B envy w/ WE Tubes at the ZMF room @ canjam was pretty jaw dropping with the atrium of all headphones.

Likewise, the red october with 300b's floored me with a Rognir. Ymmv, like anything else in this hobby based on your preferences....But I have an Envy sitting next to me on my desk now as a result :) THAT being said the price of a lot of 300B amps is friggen outrageous. By no means would I consider myself an expert on the whole 300B thing, but I've liked what I've heard so far.

The 1266 has been pretty damn good with on a 300B amp, but I think I like the wa33 with it better.

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #22,098 of 22,596
I cant say ive had enough experience with truly totl gear, but the 300B envy w/ WE Tubes at the ZMF room @ canjam was pretty jaw dropping with the atrium of all headphones.

Likewise, the red october with 300b's floored me with a Rognir. Ymmv, like anything else in this hobby based on your preferences....But I have an Envy sitting next to me on my desk now as a result :) THAT being said the price of a lot of 300B amps is friggen outrageous. By no means would I consider myself an expert on the whole 300B thing, but I've liked what I've heard so far.

The 1266 has been pretty damn good with on a 300B amp, but I think I like the wa33 with it better.
I didn't like the Envy with the Sus. It was likely stock tubes, and it was show-room conditions, but I didn't like it at all. 🤷‍♂️ :pill:

I haven't heard the Elrogs, which are fables around here, so I don't want to write off 300bs just quite yet, but I'm not convinced. I'm guessing the tubes can bring about a better 10%, but couldn't we also get a better 25% or 50% with a new dac or amp?

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #22,099 of 22,596
I haven't heard the Elrogs, which are fables around here, so I don't want to write off 300bs just quite yet, but I'm not convinced. I'm guessing the tubes can bring about a better 10%, but couldn't we also get a better 25% or 50% with a new dac or amp?
I haven't heard the Taks, but the Elrog MOs are pretty remarkable. The difference between them and the stock Psvanes just in my preamp, on the very first listen, was amazing.

Feb 5, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #22,100 of 22,596
I didn't like the Envy with the Sus. It was likely stock tubes, and it was show-room conditions, but I didn't like it at all. 🤷‍♂️ :pill:

my envy with the we300b is a fair bit better to my ears with my susvara than the CFA3 which I love...FWIIW

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #22,101 of 22,596
300B is a pretty varied family of tubes. Each sounds pretty different and you need to find the synergy. You also need synergystic drivers etc.

Is it worh it? Swapping tubes is like getting and an entirely new amp, that's the calibre of change.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #22,102 of 22,596
dont have 1266 yet but ordered ta 274b, woo suggested to start with the rectifier for my hd800S and add the driver and power tubes when abyss is in the house

Feb 6, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #22,103 of 22,596
Wait till you get into tubes ... 🤭

tubes+abyss = bliss
In an attempt to solve my TT2+1266 with or without separate amp dilemma, I'm eyeing up a Pathos InPol Ear (EDIT: not a strict tube amp, but a hybrid as krude mentions below), which appears to tick every box I need.

Options can be:

1. sell MScaler and TT2 (I just can't hear THAT big a difference with MS. Unjustifiable keeping it when it actually cost more than my TT2!) and keep Pathos with its built-in DAC or...
  2. sell MScaler but try out TT2 with Pathos. If not significant difference just keep the Pathos.
Problem is, there's hardly a thing around about the quality of the Pathos DAC.

Only non Pathos option for me is a Formula S but I will inevitably buy a Powerman for that too. Which makes either Pathos or Formula S cost basically the same. But if I go with Pathos option I might not need to keep the TT2 as well. If I go with Formula S I definitely need to keep the TT2, or possibly go a little cheaper with a Gustard R26 for DAC duty.

Formula S is the safe option.

Pathos though is tugging at my heart!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #22,104 of 22,596
In an attempt to solve my TT2+1266 with or without separate amp dilemma, I'm eyeing up a Pathos InPol Ear, which appears to tick every box I need.

Options can be:

1. sell MScaler and TT2 (I just can't hear THAT big a difference with MS. Unjustifiable keeping it when it actually cost more than my TT2!) and keep Pathos with its built-in DAC or...
  2. sell MScaler but try out TT2 with Pathos. If not significant difference just keep the Pathos.
Problem is, there's hardly a thing around about the quality of the Pathos DAC.

Only non Pathos option for me is a Formula S but I will inevitably buy a Powerman for that too. Which makes either Pathos or Formula S cost basically the same. But if I go with Pathos option I might not need to keep the TT2 as well. If I go with Formula S I definitely need to keep the TT2, or possibly go a little cheaper with a Gustard R26 for DAC duty.

Formula S is the safe option.

Pathos though is tugging at my heart!
Pathos is not a tube amp. Check out Woo WA5 LE, WA23, WA33 or Cayin HA300 on the less expensive end of the spectrum to see what the difference is (there are many others, those are just the most popular examples).

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #22,105 of 22,596
i concur wa33 elite fed by TT and antipodes audio is sweet.

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #22,106 of 22,596
Feb 6, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #22,107 of 22,596
Quick question from a future owner: Are the three-pin mini XLR terminations on the headphone cable the same as ZMF/Audeze, etc.?

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #22,108 of 22,596
Quick question from a future owner: Are the three-pin mini XLR terminations on the headphone cable the same as ZMF/Audeze, etc.?
No, sorry. You can get adapters. But they can be cumbersome.

Also, I tried a Forza Audioworks cable to see if it improved the mids on my old 1266 Phi but it made for a poor pairing (this isn't a knock on the Forza cables, which are excellent generally and especially for their price). I just think the pairing was poor; the 1266 might need specific types of cable to sound right, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #22,109 of 22,596
No, sorry. You can get adapters. But they can be cumbersome.

Also, I tried a Forza Audioworks cable to see if it improved the mids on my old 1266 Phi but it made for a poor pairing (this isn't a knock on the Forza cables, which are excellent generally and especially for their price). I just think the pairing was poor; the 1266 might need specific types of cable to sound right, I'm not sure.
Thanks for confirming. I suppose that using the stock cable is a starting point. From what I'm reading in this massive thread, swapping tubes in amps has more of an impact and changing cables (from good to very good) has a smaller incremental benefit.

I'm looking forward to being in Club 1266 sometime soon!

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #22,110 of 22,596
I use mini XLR cables made for ZMF / Meze no problem, no adapters. Not all mini XLRs fit well though, with some you need to apply a lot of force to make them click. One that works the best for me is from Furutech. But even if some don't click, they generally still stay in place. Worst comes to worst, you can re-terminate with Furutech or some other brand that fits with Abyss sockets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back