The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #21,661 of 22,434
Greetings, fellow Abyss enthusiasts!

I just recently acquired a 1266 TC. Unfortunately, mine has weak bass in the right side, so off to Abyss it has gone for inspection / cleaning.

Meanwhile, I went a little overboard at MyCaseBuilder designing custom foam for 1266 based on the Pelican Air 1507. I used two layers of foam--the upper tray holds the headphones (with strap and pads attached), and the lower "basement" has room for cables and accessories. The foam supports printing, so I had too much fun playing with various backgrounds and coming up with a few different themes. Here are a couple examples:

Top Layer - 3D Render (black steel v2).JPG
Bottom Layer - 3D Render (black stone v2).JPG

--

Top Layer - 3D Render (blue steel).JPG
Bottom Layer - 3D Render (Blue Concrete v2).JPG

--

I'm a little bummed that my honeymoon period was cut short, but I'm really looking forward to getting my 1266 back and performing a test fit in one of these cases. I just need to decide which design to make. 😄

Once I'm sure the foam is good, I can share pictures and links to the projects in case anyone else wants to make a similar case.
I want one! It's a much better option than the "man-bag" they offer. I bought a used Abyss man-bag, just to have it, but it offers like no protection and is awkward. This would be a lot better.

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #21,662 of 22,434
If anyone is willing to let go of the Superconductor cable for the 1266 TC at a reasonable price, please notify me via PM.

Aug 17, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #21,663 of 22,434
We just noticed after 10 years of AB1266 this thread hit 3 million views, and counting.
Thank you to all for sharing your journey with us! ABYSS_SMILEY_1266.png

Today @DarkoAudio published a podcast with Alessandro Cortini from Nine Inch Nails, it's an excellent listen to preferences of professional who is both an avid head-fi enthusiast and musician/music producer.

For AB1266 enthusiasts, our favorite part is near the end of the conversation, beginning around 1:20...

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Aug 17, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #21,664 of 22,434
IMG_4302.jpeg

Got a chance to try out the abyss 1266TC with superconductor on the XiAudio Stack DAC and AMP combo. Wow that tall and wide sound stage and very high resolution. I totally get it why fokes prefer it with tubes to beef things up.

I would prefer it with tubes too.

Aug 18, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #21,665 of 22,434

Got a chance to try out the abyss 1266TC with superconductor on the XiAudio Stack DAC and AMP combo. Wow that tall and wide sound stage and very high resolution. I totally get it why fokes prefer it with tubes to beef things up.

I would prefer it with tubes too.
Yes the right tubes do it for me… sparkle and slightly better mid range while retaining the Abyss bass… bass that is hard to beat. It took me a while to appreciate the value of a good amp, and I prefer resolution, neutral presentation and accurate textured bass. I found the Auris nirvana fullfillled these objectives, but that was after some tube rolling to get that treble sparkle. For some reason jazz, and female vocals seem to present better to me with tubes, a fuller mid range maybe? I love my solid state amps but I reach for them second…

T

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #21,666 of 22,434
Aug 22, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #21,667 of 22,434
I've ordered my custom case + foam for 1266 (design to be revealed later). Manufacturing estimate is 12-15 business days. Once that comes in (and I get my 1266 back from Abyss) I can do the all-important test fit and make sure the cutouts work. If anything is off, I can respin the design once.

While I'm waiting, here are a few more reference designs (I really did go overboard, lol):

Cracked Facade

Top Layer - 3D Render (Distressed Mesh v2).JPG

Bottom Layer - 3D Render (Cracked Earth).JPG

--

Blue Glass

Top Layer - 3D Render (Stained Glass).JPG

Bottom Layer - 3D Render (Glass Chunks v2).JPG

--

Chaos Cubes

Top Layer - 3D Render (jumbled cubes v2).JPG

Bottom Layer - 3D Render (Chaos Cube).JPG

--

Fuel Spill

Top Layer - 3D Render (crimson rust v2).JPG

Bottom Layer - 3D Render (gasoline on asphalt v2).JPG

--

Spaced Out

Top Layer - 3D Render (Lightspeed).JPG

Bottom Layer - 3D Render (Milky Way).JPG

--

Besides making sure the cutout dimensions are accurate, I'm eager so see how well the actual foam printing compares to the design previews. I've previously designed a case for my HM1, and that turned out really well, but this will be the first time playing with more detailed backgrounds, printing in pockets, etc. I really hope the final product will live up to my ambitions. :grin:

HM1 Case.jpg HM1 Case Trays.jpg

Aug 24, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #21,668 of 22,434
Crazy how life works. I quit the headphone game almost 2 years ago when I bought a house and had a 2 channel listening room built in the basement. In May, I had flooding in my basement with damage to the new listening room baseboards and carpet destroyed. Waiting for insurance to do its thing I decided to buy a headphone “just to get me buy” then for various reasons I needed to change amps for my speakers and ended up with a ampsandsound bigger ben. The amp I had was nearly new from TMR audio and they gave me a pretty good deal on buying back the amp I couldnt use from them….

So from having no headphones for nearly 2 years to all of a sudden UPS brought me an Abyss 1266 Phi TC which will be waiting for me to open when I get home from work this afternoon …. And tomorrow I return the amp to TMR and pick up the Elite Epique that I am receiving in trade for it.

The 1266 is hideous to my eyes LOL. I stated that I would never own that monstrosity …. However no one will see me coupled up in my basement music room LOL. The Elite is so pretty….I will have beauty and the beast for sure!

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #21,670 of 22,434
Crazy how life works. I quit the headphone game almost 2 years ago when I bought a house and had a 2 channel listening room built in the basement. In May, I had flooding in my basement with damage to the new listening room baseboards and carpet destroyed. Waiting for insurance to do its thing I decided to buy a headphone “just to get me buy” then for various reasons I needed to change amps for my speakers and ended up with a ampsandsound bigger ben. The amp I had was nearly new from TMR audio and they gave me a pretty good deal on buying back the amp I couldnt use from them….

So from having no headphones for nearly 2 years to all of a sudden UPS brought me an Abyss 1266 Phi TC which will be waiting for me to open when I get home from work this afternoon …. And tomorrow I return the amp to TMR and pick up the Elite Epique that I am receiving in trade for it.

The 1266 is hideous to my eyes LOL. I stated that I would never own that monstrosity …. However no one will see me coupled up in my basement music room LOL. The Elite is so pretty….I will have beauty and the beast for sure!
The sound of the 1266 Phi TC is all that matters 🎶

Aug 29, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #21,672 of 22,434
The Abyss AB 1266 phi tc is definitely in a league of its own. I've had it for about a month now it is absolutely technically superior to susvara. Now that I figured out how to place it on my head properly I am absolutely shocked how good it is. Susvara is way more laid back, intimate, and natural. Abyss is in a league of its own with sound stage, thunderous bass, speed, and precision. I like both of them about equal, at first I prefered the susvara.. but now I find myself reaching for the abyss most of the time.

Both headphones have top notch detail and resolution. One is not superior to the other in this regard. Susvara tickles my ears in a way that gives me tingles down my scalp and back at times. The sound is lush and beautiful, you can really get lost in the susvara and it is easier to listen to for long periods of time as well as more natural and realistic sounding. Susvara is no slouch with bass, detail, speed, or soundstage.

These two headphones are both just mind blowing in quality. Nothing can quite compete with the abyss in terms of ultra wide 360 soundstage and thunderous bass. I would say almost anyone who has complained about the abyss never figured out how to position it properly. Once you find the optimal setup the results are nothing short of jaw dropping. I am literally in shock at times.

I tried listening to "Hot Spade - Oh Joon Sung" off yggy og a2 -> mjolnor 3 -> hd-6xx just to remember how the 6xx sounds and try it on the mjolnir 3. I then switched to the abyss ab 1266 phi tc and the results were astounding. The difference was so big it made the 6xx sound like $10 ear buds and the abyss sound like a top of the line cost no object system perfectly setup. Veil lifted, soundstage opened up to be 360 degrees fill a massive venue, pinpoint precision with instruments, bass was thunderous it literally sounded like deep thunder rolling in. Truly an amazing headphone in a league of its own for what it does well.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #21,673 of 22,434
Hi there,

Any of you got a loose screw (on top of the frame) and found a way to tighten it without having to make an international shipping to Abyss ?
Since it got loose, I'm stuck in the basic position. I tried to add a paper to lock it but I don't like this temporary solution

Best

Aug 29, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #21,674 of 22,434
Hi there,

Any of you got a loose screw (on top of the frame) and found a way to tighten it without having to make an international shipping to Abyss ?
Since it got loose, I'm stuck in the basic position. I tried to add a paper to lock it but I don't like this temporary solution

Best
You should be able to tighten it enough by thumb although it is likely only to be temporary.

Aug 29, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #21,675 of 22,434
You should be able to tighten it enough by thumb although it is likely only to be temporary.
Nop, it's already hand tight but not enough for the headband to keep itself tight

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back