The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #20,356 of 22,408
A symphonic force

"Good Morning Kaia" from that album remains one of my favourite songs of all time, since the first time I heard it back in 2006.

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #20,357 of 22,408
"Good Morning Kaia" from that album remains one of my favourite songs of all time, since the first time I heard it back in 2006.
Great song. The whole album is fantastic especially the development of the later half. I recall being glued to Morceau Subrosa with my STAX for some time.

cue it up!

Jun 16, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #20,358 of 22,408
Well, I gotta say - I might not have that fancy custom silver cable to compare it to, but compared to the stock cable the SC is tremendous.

With my limited experience cable swapping in the past, generally speaking I haven't noticed much more than a tonality shift. I noticed more clarity/better staging on the custom cable I got with my tc (Supposedly was bought for 1k$ usd, not sure of anything else), but it also sounded artificial/grainy, and generally I could tell that the "extra clarity" I was experiencing in this case was actually just boosted upper treble. It would sound better on a quick listen, but after extended use I felt something lacking and off.

After enough time, I went back to stock because of said cons.

With the SC though? No way in hell I'm going back to stock.

Keep in mind this is only after a couple of days of listening.. but most of the changes were immediately apparent regardless. Better fidelity/detail across the board, smoother treble, a more liquid and musical sound, much more precise imaging (as if the previous image was blurry, and I put on some glasses), and a lot more meat to the bass and vocals.

Everything feels more grounded, weighty, and natural.. even the treble feels like it has some increased levels of physicality. The blackness of the background has improved, and generally speaking everything that could be improved in some way, has. (to my taste, at least).

The best metaphor I can come up with for the change in physicality - is that although the stock cable sounded fantastic, it's as if the sound itself was transparent. The bass was visceral, for sure - but it's as if the image of the bass has turned completely opaque with the SC. As if I've found the thing I always search for when cranking the volume up (but haven't ever found).

I don't feel like it's an overstatement to say that this jump in fidelity feels of a similar caliber as a jump to a better amp - this is no simple tonality shift.

Now, as a disclaimer, I am incredibly passionate about this stuff, and a bit of an intense guy, and so a large jump for me might be larger than for another. But I'm being honest to my experience, I swear! :L3000:

Jun 16, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #20,360 of 22,408
Well, I gotta say - I might not have that fancy custom silver cable to compare it to, but compared to the stock cable the SC is tremendous.

With my limited experience cable swapping in the past, generally speaking I haven't noticed much more than a tonality shift. I noticed more clarity/better staging on the custom cable I got with my tc (Supposedly was bought for 1k$ usd, not sure of anything else), but it also sounded artificial/grainy, and generally I could tell that the "extra clarity" I was experiencing in this case was actually just boosted upper treble. It would sound better on a quick listen, but after extended use I felt something lacking and off.

After enough time, I went back to stock because of said cons.

With the SC though? No way in hell I'm going back to stock.

Keep in mind this is only after a couple of days of listening.. but most of the changes were immediately apparent regardless. Better fidelity/detail across the board, smoother treble, a more liquid and musical sound, much more precise imaging (as if the previous image was blurry, and I put on some glasses), and a lot more meat to the bass and vocals.

Everything feels more grounded, weighty, and natural.. even the treble feels like it has some increased levels of physicality. The blackness of the background has improved, and generally speaking everything that could be improved in some way, has. (to my taste, at least).

The best metaphor I can come up with for the change in physicality - is that although the stock cable sounded fantastic, it's as if the sound itself was transparent. The bass was visceral, for sure - but it's as if the image of the bass has turned completely opaque with the SC. As if I've found the thing I always search for when cranking the volume up (but haven't ever found).

I don't feel like it's an overstatement to say that this jump in fidelity feels of a similar caliber as a jump to a better amp - this is no simple tonality shift.

Now, as a disclaimer, I am incredibly passionate about this stuff, and a bit of an intense guy, and so a large jump for me might be larger than for another. But I'm being honest to my experience, I swear! :L3000:
i got the same emotion with the sc came yesterday.
@Sajid Amit . it's damn true. female vocals are noticeably much better
With the sc vocal is more sweetness and engaging, intruments seperation and blacker background than stock
yep there is no way in hell i will return to stock.

Jun 16, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #20,361 of 22,408
i got the same emotion with the sc came yesterday.
@Sajid Amit . it's damn true. female vocals are noticeably much better
With the sc vocal is more sweetness and engaging, intruments seperation and blacker background than stock
yep there is no way in hell i will return to stock.
Yeah. Such difference cables can make.

Jun 18, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #20,363 of 22,408
Anyone know how long JPS normally takes for repair? I’ve sent in my TC for sleepy driver issue (under warranty) on the left side issue and it’s been 3 weeks already. Called Joe and he’s saying it’s still not repaired.
Typical turn around time is 2 months from what I've seen posted.

Jun 18, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #20,365 of 22,408
I am wondering if it is worth to upgrade my 1266 OG to a TC......:weary:

Jun 19, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #20,366 of 22,408
if you have the cash then yes...I went from the OG to the Phi and to the TC and each time my wallet was lighter but I appreciated the improvement

Jun 19, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #20,367 of 22,408
if you have the cash then yes...I went from the OG to the Phi and to the TC and each time my wallet was lighter but I appreciated the improvement

Would you mind to elaborate that in terms of sonic? I am making decision to buy used OG, phi or TC soon.

Jun 19, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #20,369 of 22,408
Would you mind to elaborate that in terms of sonic? I am making decision to buy used OG, phi or TC soon.
others have given pretty detailed comparisons..IMHO the TC does pretty much everything better than the OG although some still like the sound signature of the OG

Jun 19, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #20,370 of 22,408

Users who are viewing this thread

Back