The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 14, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #20,341 of 22,450
An OTL amp driving the Abyss extremely well?! Surely not… but indeed this is the case.

This custom OTL amp with separate power supply (with Lundahl power transformers), 6 Tungsol 5998 power tubes and 2 Philips 6N7G does an admirable job. Adding more power tubes (it can take 2-6) to the amp lowers the output impedance sufficiently even for the Abyss. 6 watts of power.

The covers on the rear are covering large Clarity Caps.

Built by one of the custom builders on here - 1101 Audio. I originally had it built for the LCD4, but it also performs very well with the Abyss. I find it is slightly warmer than my SET based Glenn C3g/300B and 1101 Audio 6J5/KT66 headphone amps.

86612870-4104-4EE6-B7B3-DAA9B4F37008.jpeg
Looks great dude, glad you are enjoying it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jun 14, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #20,342 of 22,450
The superconductor has arrived..

Gonna need a couple of days to fully get used to/figure out how to properly articulate the changes, but off of the top of my head I can say it's a very noticeable difference... A lot more than I was expecting, really. And in a very, very good way.

Jun 14, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #20,343 of 22,450
The superconductor has arrived..

Gonna need a couple of days to fully get used to/figure out how to properly articulate the changes, but off of the top of my head I can say it's a very noticeable difference... A lot more than I was expecting, really. And in a very, very good way.
It really is a very nice difference. Enjoy man

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #20,344 of 22,450
I have been listening to my sr1a for the past few days with the convolution filter...last night I decided to change it up and listen to the TC...unbeknownst to me I had forgotten to turn the filter off in my roon setting and for a while I couldnt understand why the TC sounded so bad...the bass was way too boomy and the volume seemed restrained...I kept looking at connections etc until it dawned on me that I had left the filter on...the more stuff you add the more chance for confusion lol

Jun 15, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #20,345 of 22,450
Jun 15, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #20,346 of 22,450
What is the recommended burn-in for this cable?

unnamed.jpg

It's brand new, and its present state, it's good but not as good as the high purity silver cable I got made from a custom builder last year.

IMG_0728.jpeg

The problems I am facing with the Superconductor cable are:

(1) My TC has more clarity and resolution on my custom silver cable

(2) On the SC, my TC sounds a bit shrill (relatively speaking) in the lower treble

(3) It's missing some punch and slam! This is the part that is most concerning, lol.

(4) SS is a bit narrower (but still better than most headphones, it's a TC after all).

In terms of immediate improvements, female vocals have improved perceptibly, and perhaps vocals in general, so kudos to Abyss for that.

But I don't want to be cable rolling frequently since I use the TC for rock and metal.

Hope the overall presentation improves with burn-in.

@Abyss Headphones

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #20,347 of 22,450
Listening to Director's Garage today and he's come around to loving them, and like many of us, concluding it renders his other phones outclassed. Pretty cool considering his initial experience wasn't great. Ferrum stack seemed to be the source of his revelation.

I think I'm going to send him a pair of Western Electric 300B.

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #20,348 of 22,450
What is the recommended burn-in for this cable?

It's brand new, and its present state, it's good but not as good as the high purity silver cable I got made from a custom builder last year.

The problems I am facing with the Superconductor cable are:

(1) My TC has more clarity and resolution on my custom silver cable

(2) On the SC, my TC sounds a bit shrill (relatively speaking) in the lower treble

(3) It's missing some punch and slam! This is the part that is most concerning, lol.

(4) SS is a bit narrower (but still better than most headphones, it's a TC after all).

In terms of immediate improvements, female vocals have improved perceptibly, and perhaps vocals in general, so kudos to Abyss for that.

But I don't want to be cable rolling frequently since I use the TC for rock and metal.

Hope the overall presentation improves with burn-in.

@Abyss Headphones
Pretty sure abyss recommends 100 hours

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #20,349 of 22,450
Listening to Director's Garage today and he's come around to loving them, and like many of us, concluding it renders his other phones outclassed. Pretty cool considering his initial experience wasn't great. Ferrum stack seemed to be the source of his revelation.

I think I'm going to send him a pair of Western Electric 300B.
Lol. Good for him. He’s a good guy.

The Ferrum stack didn’t work for me at all with the TC. Prob the main reason why I didn’t keep it.

Have opened up comms with Sasa, as per your insistence @paradoxper.

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #20,350 of 22,450

The Ferrum stack didn’t work for me at all with the TC. Prob the main reason why I didn’t keep it.

It's always interesting how varied the experience can be. I also didn't favor the Ferrum comparatively.

Great you linked up direct. That's exciting. DHT DHT DHT !!!

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #20,351 of 22,450

Same. Its kinda dry and fatiguing and its soundstage width was average. I wanted more smoothness.

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #20,352 of 22,450
Jun 16, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #20,354 of 22,450
interesting. I actually quite like the ferrum stack with the TC. xlr outs from May/Wavelight, medium gain on Oor. using Mitch filters. really lush sound and pleasant highs, with no lack of bass impact. it is, however, one or two steps down from my speaker amp combo, but given the price point I'd say that's understandable. Nice for a quick and dirty listen, not having to wait for my tube components to warm up.

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #20,355 of 22,450
A symphonic force

Users who are viewing this thread

Back