The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #19,066 of 22,432
Fair enough. I believe the sleepy driver issue is caused by oxidation or something similar at the point of contact between connector leads and driver. These are pressure connectors not soldered.
After removing pads you remove Allen head screws and carefully lift cover plate. You can then remove connectors from driver and clean surface of connection point. Even simply moving connectors side to side maybe enough to clean connection point.
It is pretty simple if you take your time and are careful. About 5 minutes to complete.

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #19,068 of 22,432
So I got the LCD 5. I really like it. I almost definitely will keep it. But it's not the Abyss. I feel like I am expecting something to match it, but it's just not going to happen. The Abyss has spoiled me. It's like the LCD 5 is a great headphone, and the Abyss is a great musical experience.

Those of you that have the Raal sr1a - similar to the Abyss in the sense that it's just completely different? Did you get a similar feeling when first listening to the Raal that you did when everything locked in on the Abyss?
In early December, my friend brought over his SR1a/1b amp and upgraded cable for me to listen in my own system. It was good but overall, I didn't think it offered enough of a difference to my current collection (Susvara, 1266TC, Utopia, and VO) to justify a purchase. It was a bit of a letdown but maybe my expectations were unrealistic. I was hoping that they would deliver a soundstage similiar to some great nearfield speaker setups that I've heard in the past. It delivered a nice soundstage but nothing like speakers imo. The soundstage wasn't that much different from the TC, a tiny bit more out of the head but not much. It's a nice headphone but I didn't think it would over take my TC and Susvara for usage. I think the TC is definitely more fun and that's what I'm in this hobby for.

I also tried the 1b as an amp for my other headphones, it's ok but not at the level of my Nirvana or 23R. I didn't have the 23R at that time, but if the 1b had made a great impression, I might have bought the SR1a/1b because I wanted a SS amp to complement my Nirvana. I wasn't that impressed with the 1b. Maybe I would have been more impressed with the SR1a if I had tried it with 1 of my 2 speaker amps but my friend didn't have the speaker amp adapter. As they say, YMMV.

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #19,069 of 22,432
Fair enough. I believe the sleepy driver issue is caused by oxidation or something similar at the point of contact between connector leads and driver. These are pressure connectors not soldered.
After removing pads you remove Allen head screws and carefully lift cover plate. You can then remove connectors from driver and clean surface of connection point. Even simply moving connectors side to side maybe enough to clean connection point.
It is pretty simple if you take your time and are careful. About 5 minutes to complete.

What did you use to clean the surface of the connnection point?

Dec 30, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #19,070 of 22,432
You can use contact cleaner, or I just used a little rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip. Just gently remove any build up. First I would try removing clips or just moving them back and forth. That way you don't remove any coating but displace any oxidation. Mine worked just by removing and replacing connectors. You are just making sure you have good contact between connectors and driver.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #19,071 of 22,432
So almost one week with my new TC, and after finding the right fit (the toe, ear pads, overall position on the head), combined with Vykari cable, the TC sounds amazing. Vykari really lifts up the mids and makes the bass sounds cleaner & more articulate but still with that subwoofer like rumble and impact. The cable also brings more bite to string instruments (it’s somewhat lacking with stock cable) and I can enjoy classical music much more. To me, TC is now a tied 2nd with EQ’d Susvara, however EQ’d SR1a still edges both of them and holds the no 1 spot. All in all very pleased with the purchase, and now still a long wait for CRBN to arrive to complete the system 😊

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #19,072 of 22,432
A great way to get into the new year ... listening to this marvel:

www.marecordings.com
ma-recording-sampler.png

A free sampler download which will make your Abyss shine and move your soul too :wink:

Jan 1, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #19,074 of 22,432
Your action is a good task for a temporaly fix but how long it takes to the next sleepy action of the drivers?
Mine is on the way for repair. They will replace the diaphragm assemblies with a new matched set and I have the guarantee that this will work! Okay it cost money but I have a guarantee for it and they will assist me in future when something comes up.
Jps definitely does not want the same problem to arise every 3 years! I'm sure they know the problem of the older drivers and fixed it already although they do not want to say what exactly the problem is.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #19,075 of 22,432
If by temporary you mean years, then yes it is temporary. But as this appears to be a sensitive subject I won't comment on it anymore.

Jan 1, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #19,077 of 22,432
Your action is a good task for a temporaly fix but how long it takes to the next sleepy action of the drivers?
Mine is on the way for repair. They will replace the diaphragm assemblies with a new matched set and I have the guarantee that this will work! Okay it cost money but I have a guarantee for it and they will assist me in future when something comes up.
Jps definitely does not want the same problem to arise every 3 years! I'm sure they know the problem of the older drivers and fixed it already although they do not want to say what exactly the problem is.

How much does it cost to get the repair done?

Jan 1, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #19,079 of 22,432
Jan 1, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #19,080 of 22,432
the prices of pretty much everything is out of control sadly
And will continue to go up. In my industry equipment pricing is up 40-48% with 6-7 month lead times. Insanity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back