The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #18,901 of 22,434
Thanks guys. Very helpful.

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #18,905 of 22,434
Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Dec 17, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #18,906 of 22,434
So I just got a pair of TC's (I know, I know), but I'm finding bass sounds like farts. Like, really bad. Treble and mids sound fine. I'm also hearing a metallic vibration in the frame that triggers when the right tone is hit in the right ear. Don't know how to describe it but it's like something is on the driver and vibrating. I've tried a variety of positions and ear cup configurations. I can hear potential but something is clearly not right.

Is my v281 completely unable to drive these or something? Or is there an issue with this set? Trying them out with this track

and it's a hot mess

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #18,907 of 22,434
M my
So I just got a pair of TC's (I know, I know), but I'm finding bass sounds like farts. Like, really bad. Treble and mids sound fine. I'm also hearing a metallic vibration in the frame that triggers when the right tone is hit in the right ear. Don't know how to describe it but it's like something is on the driver and vibrating. I've tried a variety of positions and ear cup configurations. I can hear potential but something is clearly not right.

Is my v281 completely unable to drive these or something? Or is there an issue with this set? Trying them out with this track

and it's a hot mess

its tough to say about the bass but if ringing just may have been a shipping issue. Only ringing was on the original 1266. How much of a gap? I have barely a gap and I only listen to bass music. I can hurt the bass by having big gap or turned too far up with the seam going towards 12. I set my seam 3 on both which produces the deepest bass and as for gap you’d have a hard time getting a thick piece of paper through. I’ll gap a hole at the back of my ear seal the rest. Basically need that driver to breath. When you seal the pressure doesn’t allow the drive to move its fullest creating those low
resonating bass beats now too much and it bottoms out like in the dynamic word for moving too far.

Dec 17, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #18,908 of 22,434
M my

its tough to say about the bass but if ringing just may have been a shipping issue. Only ringing was on the original 1266. How much of a gap? I have barely a gap and I only listen to bass music. I can hurt the bass by having big gap or turned too far up with the seam going towards 12. I set my seam 3 on both which produces the deepest bass and as for gap you’d have a hard time getting a thick piece of paper through. I’ll gap a hole at the back of my ear seal the rest. Basically need that driver to breath. When you seal the pressure doesn’t allow the drive to move its fullest creating those low
resonating bass beats now too much and it bottoms out like in the dynamic word for moving too far.
Yea, I just got off the phone with The Cable Company (these were from their loan program) and he mentioned they had some repairs of some sort in the past. They are completely unusable and I'll be sending them back tomorrow. I can hear the potential even through the issues, but I don't know if that potential I'm hearing is enough for me to send back my LCD-5's in the hope that the next pair will allow me to properly evaluate them on my system.

I'm really quite sad as my LCD-5 return window ends next Friday and I *really* was hoping to get a proper evaluation in.

If nothing else, I was able to confirm that the stability issues (that is, the headphones falling off my head when doing things) are non-existant. They are quite confident on my head regardless of angle in my typical use cases, so there's at least one fewer issue to worry about. It really is just a question of how they sound in comparison at this point....which was the most important question. A question I can't answer despite having a pair in my hands.

Pretty discouraged.

edit: they sound okay at very low volume. I guess I'll try to evaluate this way.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #18,909 of 22,434
Yea, I just got off the phone with The Cable Company (these were from their loan program) and he mentioned they had some repairs of some sort in the past. They are completely unusable and I'll be sending them back tomorrow. I can hear the potential even through the issues, but I don't know if that potential I'm hearing is enough for me to send back my LCD-5's in the hope that the next pair will allow me to properly evaluate them on my system.

I'm really quite sad as my LCD-5 return window ends next Friday and I *really* was hoping to get a proper evaluation in.

If nothing else, I was able to confirm that the stability issues (that is, the headphones falling off my head when doing things) are non-existant. They are quite confident on my head regardless of angle in my typical use cases, so there's at least one fewer issue to worry about. It really is just a question of how they sound in comparison at this point....which was the most important question. A question I can't answer despite having a pair in my hands.

Pretty discouraged.

edit: they sound okay at very low volume. I guess I'll try to evaluate this way.

Are the earpads flush on your head around your ears? Is there a gap at any point where they aren't? If so you may want to bend the frame. The I had issues that made them unusable until I bent the frame to the right position for my heads within a week. Complete night and day difference. Not saying this will work for you for sure, but just mentioning.

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #18,910 of 22,434

and it's a hot mess

My guess that it's a hair or fiber on the driver. I had a similar metallic buzzing at particular parts of songs.

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #18,911 of 22,434
Are the earpads flush on your head around your ears? Is there a gap at any point where they aren't? If so you may want to bend the frame. The I had issues that made them unusable until I bent the frame to the right position for my heads within a week. Complete night and day difference. Not saying this will work for you for sure, but just mentioning.
I don't want to bend the frame on a rental set.

The earpads are as they can be given the design. they're touching in the front, but a little less in the back. They sound fine at very low volumes, more or less. But as soon as I turn the sound up past 10 on my V281's dial, they fall apart. They also have some real serious performance issues with bass separation. I assume the bass pulses should be nice, tight, and clearly separated through all parts of this track:

But the deeper pulses just sound like a single blob at 10 o'clock on my v281's dial and they sound like they're straight up going to rattle apart. Probably the worst I've ever heard the passage on any pair of headphones right down to $20 earbuds. They're that bad. They're hilariously broken. Oh well. I had a dream that I'd be able to compare them. I'm more or less going to make a half-informed decision here. I'm not happy.

Photo to remember the disappointment. I was absolutely looking forward to writing my full impressions and comparison to a well broken in LCD-5. Looks like they won't be happening.

eyes.png

My guess that it's a hair or fiber on the driver. I had a similar metallic buzzing at particular parts of songs.
Interestingly, I had a look at the drivers with the ear pads off and there are holes in the silver mesh. Like, holes.

abyss-tc-1.png

sheeeesh. what did the last person who had these do to them in 2 weeks time?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #18,912 of 22,434

and it's a hot mess

Definitely not the V281. I still have my old one and listen to it once in a while, and no issues.

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #18,913 of 22,434

The earpads are as they can be given the design. they're touching in the front, but a little less in the back. They sound fine at very low volumes, more or less. But as soon as I turn the sound up past 10 on my V281's dial, they fall apart. They also have some real serious performance issues with bass separation. I assume the bass pulses should be nice, tight, and clearly separated through all parts of this track:

But the deeper pulses just sound like a single blob at 10 o'clock on my v281's dial and they sound like they're straight up going to rattle apart. Probably the worst I've ever heard the passage on any pair of headphones right down to $20 earbuds. They're that bad. They're hilariously broken. Oh well. I had a dream that I'd be able to compare them. I'm more or less going to make a half-informed decision here. I'm not happy.

Photo to remember the disappointment. I was absolutely looking forward to writing my full impressions and comparison to a well broken in LCD-5. Looks like they won't be happening.

Interestingly, I had a look at the drivers with the ear pads off and there are holes in the silver mesh. Like, holes.

I get not wanting to do that on a rental set, but it's normal for the headphone. Abyss has a video on it I believe. If there's an opening between the pads, that's very likely a part of. the issue. But with the pics as well, hair or debris is probably a bigger issue given those holes in the mesh. Sucks, hopefully you can hear a different pair sometime soon.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #18,914 of 22,434

eyes.png

abyss-tc-1.png

Maybe you got the one that they used to drive a Jeep over it. :relaxed: I recall a video of a vehicle being driven over the 1266 and it surviving. Your pictures show that its definitely been abused.

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #18,915 of 22,434

eyes.png

abyss-tc-1.png

just to ensure with u. this is the phi cc verson. not the tc. the tc will have " total conciousness" engraving

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back