The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #18,886 of 22,443
You can get a room?

Dec 14, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #18,888 of 22,443
FYI, that's not correct. The message on Audeze's site for the LCD-4 caused confusion, making people believe as much. Audeze confirmed (it's buried in the LCD-5 thread) that the LCD-4 was out of stock due to parts supply issues, but is not discontinued.
The website still says "no longer available". I know they said on headfi, weeks ago, that it's not discontinued, but they've not changed the website, which is strange, to say the least.

Dec 14, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #18,890 of 22,443
This is the internet, they both might have boobs. But either way, I don't want to watch. Unless they are wearing headphones, then maybe. :jecklinsmile:

Dec 14, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #18,891 of 22,443
This is the internet, they both might have boobs. But either way, I don't want to watch. Unless they are wearing headphones, then maybe. :jecklinsmile:
Reminds me of my favorite cartoon from student times

Attachments

• C410717D-5F6B-432C-B447-CCC88B9BFF39.jpeg
    C410717D-5F6B-432C-B447-CCC88B9BFF39.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
Dec 14, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #18,893 of 22,443
Problem with EQ is more of an issue with high-end DACs. I am not a purist and I think you should make any changes that sound good, however, when I EQ with Dave/Mscaler, the depth of the stage collapses. I don't know if it's Roon's DSP or just EQ in general. I would think that the best alternative would be the Loki Max, as its effect is only in the analog domain - but based on @paradoxper's post - it's either not enough, or has the same issues as DSP. Though I agree with him that tubes work well to round things out. I think the TC sounds best on Tubes for my personal tastes (I have absolutely no need to EQ with my current setup), though SS does have it's adavantages.

I'm very curious about purchasing an LCD-5. I've been an Audeze fan boy since I got into this hobby, previously owned the LCD-3 for quite some time, and currently own the LCD-4, and upgraded 2021 LCD-XC, as well as the Audeze Sine - which is my favorite portable headphone. That said, almost every review I've seen said to EQ the LCD-5. I've tried Audeze's DSP in Roon, and always end up turning it off. Resolve says your missing out. @Currawong - at least - says he achieved a bit of softening through his Studio 6 - so maybe my Wa33 would have the same effect.

Now that Audeze is discontinuing the LCD-4 (at least that's what I read somewhere), I am definitely not going to trade it in. I love that headphone - sound and looks - and you won't be able to get a new one soon. If I buy an LCD-5 it has to be enough of a complement to the LCD-4 and my other headphones to keep. All that being said, I still listen to the Abyss 85-90% of the time, and the Susvara and LCD-4 can't pull me away other than for a change of pace. I'm looking for a headphone that, while different, makes me want to rotate more frequently. The Abyss TC is so good, I don't know if I can find it. Maybe the Sr1a? Looking forward to CanJam this year so I can hear some of these at least, even in show conditions. It's how I ended up with the Abyss TC, and I wasn't looking.

Roon DSP destroys the soundscape for me in my system. Roon is very good in my system without any add-ins or DSP.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #18,894 of 22,443
Just received the 1266 TC yesterday. Unfortunately I had a headache after work (all day at my office desk staring at a screen) and so couldn't listen for too long but I got an hour or so in. I'm listening direct out of the Bartok HE.

Just to give a little background without boring you too much...

Music I like to listen to: Drum & Bass, EDM, R&B, Hip-hop, Live Rock & Sometimes Classical.
What I like: Bass! Clarity (especially in vocals), Instrument Separation (identifying each element of a song). Warmth/Colouration - when done right...I realise this is contradictive.

I tried the Focal Stellia with a Matrix Element X as my first high-end "Head-fi" however it had zero bass and there was too much detail which took all enjoyment out of bad recordings. You were punished for it basically.

I then realised they needed burn-in and so after about 50hrs+ the bass appeared and they were fabulous with High-Res Streaming/Flac but bad recordings still sounded horrible. Just made them - "more bad". I assumed this is what you get with detailed headphones; realised my mistake and sold them. The most comfortable headphones in existence still imho. May have just lacked synergy with the Matrix as well.

Bought the Meze Empyrean (second hand from here) and loved them immediately. They made everything very enjoyable no matter how bad the recording was. They had great bass which I love and their warmth is just glorious. Although they are dissed from a technical standpoint I find them pretty detailed with a good soundstage. There are definitely tuned more for enjoyment and the bass does indeed bleed into the mids.

Still; I love them and will keep them. Added a Feliks Euphoria AE and they sounded even better.

Now enter the DTS Bartok and this took the Empyreans to their maximum level. Selling the Euphoria (in classifieds now) as when listening a/b between the Bartok's Head Out vs the Euphoria - they are different but it's not any better to my ears plus I could use the money for another purchase. I expected it to be warmer with the tubes but that Bartok has such a lovely Analog sound anyway.

Had a chance to listen to the Utopia for a while. Great detail but oh so bright - hurt my ears to be honest as details were shouted at me at times.

After reading multiple reviews I had my mind set on either the Meze Elite, the TCs or the Susvara's but I would need a more powerful Head Amp for the Susvara's which is an extra expense (more on that later) I didn't fancy plus I kind of wanted to try the best available (sub 30K anyway!) since I have already invested in a decent DAC.

I also thought from reading and watching reviews on the Susvara they would also punish me with bad recordings.

The more I read about the 1266s TCs the more I like the sound of them. Bass, Clarity, Instrument Separation, and Soundstage all together - sounds great!

So; I take the plunge and I have to say - right out of the box out of the Bartok they have such great detail without the additional brightness and the bass is powerful and clean. Quite impressive. Certainly the bass does not seep into the mids like with the Empy's either - really nice. They also play nice with poorer recordings. Yay!

I have a few questions for you guys (assuming you're still reading this wall of text):

1. My Head is pretty small and so I find they kind of hang off the centre on the top of my head and wobble about. I'm not sure I can do any exercises to make my head bigger and so I have been playing around with pad rotation and adjusting the top bar in/out. I have managed to find a sweet spot a few times but I can't remember which ones work as I was adjusting the pads quite a bit. It definitely works better and feels more comfortable when I twist the leather strap twice to bring the strap nearer to my head but I don't fancy doing that for longevity reasons. I think I would benefit from the Mods you guys have mentioned in this thread. Is there somewhere I can purchase these (to bring the strap down a bit) or is it very much a DIY option? Ideally a thicker strap would probably work best (wrap it in soft carpet? lol).

2. Do these need burning in? By that I mean not necessarily just the Headphones but also the Stock Cable (I have the "lite" version). I have the Copper upgraded Meze cables for the Empy's and they sound pretty good to my ears with the TCs. A little warmer than the stock but of course these are well burned in.
One user mentioned alternative after market silver cables (Lavricables) so I may look into these as £2k for the Superconductor upgrade cable is a bit crazy.
I have noticed that although instrument separation and detail is exceptional the Soundstage is not particularly large. Certainly doesn't seem to me as described in some reviews - much smaller. I don't particularly mind this but this is another reason why I ask the question about burn in. I guess the position of the pads also affects this.

3. They go pretty loud out of the Bartok (never have it higher than -20db) and so it clearly has the power to drive them but will an external amp make a significant difference to performance? Probably a stupid question to ask here but the WA33/Riviera/XI Audio + Powerman options seems a little expensive.
I do like the idea of tubes but I think I will also look at Solid State options if it is advised. I mean I've spent enough already, another 4k won't hurt!
I still have a Jotenheim 2 and the Feliks (until it's sold hopefully tomorrow on eBay) so I can try these. The Pathos inPol Ear might be in budget and that sounds like it might be a good option. Recommendations Welcome.

4. Finally; I do not find many EQ settings around the internet (No Oratory1990 for example) and just slight tweaks on Audio Science Review and from a few reviewers. I ended up turning off the Parametric EQ Roon filter for the Empyrean's when I got that Bartok - but if anyone has any links I would like to play around with EQ a bit for poops and giggles.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. I haven't cried "yet"...

Dec 15, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #18,895 of 22,443
Welcome to the 1266 club :)
Like most of the planars, they really benefit from a long burn-in.
But if you think you've already found your best frame/pad setting - then you're wrong :D it can take weeks of listening to understand how the setting affects the sound and what is your favorite one, based on my experience and most of the people I talked to about the 1266s.
Consider buying some o-rings in various sizes - that helped me find the most optimal position on my head. Changing the o-rings is very easy with the new headband.

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #18,896 of 22,443
Just received the 1266 TC yesterday. Unfortunately I had a headache after work (all day at my office desk staring at a screen) and so couldn't listen for too long but I got an hour or so in. I'm listening direct out of the Bartok HE.

Just to give a little background without boring you too much...

Music I like to listen to: Drum & Bass, EDM, R&B, Hip-hop, Live Rock & Sometimes Classical.
What I like: Bass! Clarity (especially in vocals), Instrument Separation (identifying each element of a song). Warmth/Colouration - when done right...I realise this is contradictive.

I tried the Focal Stellia with a Matrix Element X as my first high-end "Head-fi" however it had zero bass and there was too much detail which took all enjoyment out of bad recordings. You were punished for it basically.

I then realised they needed burn-in and so after about 50hrs+ the bass appeared and they were fabulous with High-Res Streaming/Flac but bad recordings still sounded horrible. Just made them - "more bad". I assumed this is what you get with detailed headphones; realised my mistake and sold them. The most comfortable headphones in existence still imho. May have just lacked synergy with the Matrix as well.

Bought the Meze Empyrean (second hand from here) and loved them immediately. They made everything very enjoyable no matter how bad the recording was. They had great bass which I love and their warmth is just glorious. Although they are dissed from a technical standpoint I find them pretty detailed with a good soundstage. There are definitely tuned more for enjoyment and the bass does indeed bleed into the mids.

Still; I love them and will keep them. Added a Feliks Euphoria AE and they sounded even better.

Now enter the DTS Bartok and this took the Empyreans to their maximum level. Selling the Euphoria (in classifieds now) as when listening a/b between the Bartok's Head Out vs the Euphoria - they are different but it's not any better to my ears plus I could use the money for another purchase. I expected it to be warmer with the tubes but that Bartok has such a lovely Analog sound anyway.

Had a chance to listen to the Utopia for a while. Great detail but oh so bright - hurt my ears to be honest as details were shouted at me at times.

After reading multiple reviews I had my mind set on either the Meze Elite, the TCs or the Susvara's but I would need a more powerful Head Amp for the Susvara's which is an extra expense (more on that later) I didn't fancy plus I kind of wanted to try the best available (sub 30K anyway!) since I have already invested in a decent DAC.

I also thought from reading and watching reviews on the Susvara they would also punish me with bad recordings.

The more I read about the 1266s TCs the more I like the sound of them. Bass, Clarity, Instrument Separation, and Soundstage all together - sounds great!

So; I take the plunge and I have to say - right out of the box out of the Bartok they have such great detail without the additional brightness and the bass is powerful and clean. Quite impressive. Certainly the bass does not seep into the mids like with the Empy's either - really nice. They also play nice with poorer recordings. Yay!

I have a few questions for you guys (assuming you're still reading this wall of text):

1. My Head is pretty small and so I find they kind of hang off the centre on the top of my head and wobble about. I'm not sure I can do any exercises to make my head bigger and so I have been playing around with pad rotation and adjusting the top bar in/out. I have managed to find a sweet spot a few times but I can't remember which ones work as I was adjusting the pads quite a bit. It definitely works better and feels more comfortable when I twist the leather strap twice to bring the strap nearer to my head but I don't fancy doing that for longevity reasons. I think I would benefit from the Mods you guys have mentioned in this thread. Is there somewhere I can purchase these (to bring the strap down a bit) or is it very much a DIY option? Ideally a thicker strap would probably work best (wrap it in soft carpet? lol).

2. Do these need burning in? By that I mean not necessarily just the Headphones but also the Stock Cable (I have the "lite" version). I have the Copper upgraded Meze cables for the Empy's and they sound pretty good to my ears with the TCs. A little warmer than the stock but of course these are well burned in.
One user mentioned alternative after market silver cables (Lavricables) so I may look into these as £2k for the Superconductor upgrade cable is a bit crazy.
I have noticed that although instrument separation and detail is exceptional the Soundstage is not particularly large. Certainly doesn't seem to me as described in some reviews - much smaller. I don't particularly mind this but this is another reason why I ask the question about burn in. I guess the position of the pads also affects this.

3. They go pretty loud out of the Bartok (never have it higher than -20db) and so it clearly has the power to drive them but will an external amp make a significant difference to performance? Probably a stupid question to ask here but the WA33/Riviera/XI Audio + Powerman options seems a little expensive.
I do like the idea of tubes but I think I will also look at Solid State options if it is advised. I mean I've spent enough already, another 4k won't hurt!
I still have a Jotenheim 2 and the Feliks (until it's sold hopefully tomorrow on eBay) so I can try these. The Pathos inPol Ear might be in budget and that sounds like it might be a good option. Recommendations Welcome.

4. Finally; I do not find many EQ settings around the internet (No Oratory1990 for example) and just slight tweaks on Audio Science Review and from a few reviewers. I ended up turning off the Parametric EQ Roon filter for the Empyrean's when I got that Bartok - but if anyone has any links I would like to play around with EQ a bit for poops and giggles.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. I haven't cried "yet"...

Soundstage is largely dependent on the fitment. Secondarily the amp, in my experience. For me, the soundstage on the Abyss is bigger than any other headphone I've tried.

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #18,897 of 22,443
Thanks Guys. I think I just need to get that fit just right first then. :thumbsup:

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #18,898 of 22,443
Hello and compliments for getting the most exciting headphones on the planet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My Head is pretty small and so I find they kind of hang off the centre on the top of my head and wobble about.

If they are very new, expect that the leather band will give a little. I would wait a bit before swapping o-rings and considering tweaks if I were you.

They go pretty loud out of the Bartok (never have it higher than -20db) and so it clearly has the power to drive them but will an external amp make a significant difference to performance?

I tried the Bartok and it is more than capable to drive the AB-1266. You will need a top flight amp to beat it by a reasonable margin IMO.
Unless you are a very disciplined audiophile, and a very sensible type of person, you will end up getting one anyways, so be prepared to the next notch to your bank account :rolling_eyes:
When you do, the AIC-10 will not disappoint.

Do these need burning in?

I felt that the midrange improved in the first 40-60h (loosing some slight nasal character), and also the bass became less tight, getting to that miracle of oomph, texture and control that is the trademark of the (properly fitted and amped) AB-1266.

Again, a more sensible person would reply differently, but my advice is - after having enjoyed the stock configuration for a good while - bite the bullet and get the Superconductor (sorry). In the links in my signature there is some background about that.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #18,899 of 22,443
I agree about the upgrade cable. I went with a Danacable Lazuli Nirvana cable as I had the cable before the headphones for my LCD4 headphones. I purchased some O-rings just in case my headphones ever need new rings.
I must agree that the TC’s are my best headphones by far and in fact they have made my LCD4 headphones get very little use. I use the LCD4 headphones once in while but always go back to my TC’s.

Dec 15, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #18,900 of 22,443
Congratulations on your own pair of 1266 TC, a wonderful headphone.
As someone who owned Bartok and Riviera AIC-10, and demoed Viva Egoista 845 extensively, I must say that Bartok is a fantastic amplifier. Viva (for 12.5k Eur) only raised the bar by 10%, which was not worth it in my opinion. As for Riviera, that one was financially worth it (I bought used for half a price), as only one tube had to be rolled. And I eventually found a tube that made Riviera sound exactly like Viva anyway, but more importantly, there were tubes that Riviera just sounded so different compared to Bartok.

My main genre is EDM, clocking in 90% of my listening time, out of which only 15% is EDM with vocals (the rest is crystal clear cold EDM). As someone who extensively demoed Susvara and Valkyria, I found 1266 being the best headphone for EDM with Bartok directly. Riviera shines for anything that requires warmth, so only warm female vocal EDM, or other genres I listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back